Problems in Marion County side?

Closed Thread
Old 05-28-2008, 05:53 PM
Default Problems in Marion County side?

Hi all,

Need a little input. Looking at a place on the Marion county side. Some people have murmurings of the Marion County side of TV's as somehow not quite as desirable as the Sumter side. I have heard vague references to taxes, road maintainence, and that the county was just not as supportive but no real problems that I can pinpoint.

Is there anything to this, anything of substance that might affect ones decision to buy propety in that area of TV's?

Really appreciate any input.

Thanx
Old 05-29-2008, 02:00 AM
Eternal Member
Default Re: Problems in Marion County side?

I live in the Marion county portion of TV and could not be happier. I have a Publix, Walgreen's, Citizens Bank, Beef O Brady , Kindred Spirits and a Subway within 2 miles of the house. I have two rec centers, one family pool, one sports pool and two adult pools. I have 13 executive golf courses within a 15 minute cart ride (4 within 5 minutes) and two championship courses within a 5 minute cart ride. I have a police station, firehouse and an EMS station within miles. It is a 10 minute cart ride to the Polo grounds and a 15 minute ride to Summer Trace. I have two country clubs within a 10 minute cart ride and Glenview serves a great breakfast. The Savannah Center where the plays and entertainment is less than 10 minutes by cart.

Depending on what activities you want, take a map and using a compass draw a five mile circle and see what pools, golf courses, rec centers, etc that you want are within that circle.

Our millage rate is 14.7728 (2007). CDD4 does a great ob of taking care of our district.

It is true that Marion county does not take care of any of the roads other than Buena Vista. It is true that there is a train problem if you live in the NW Chatham section. It is true that it is a 30 minute cart trip to either town square as well as Buffalo Ridge.

Personally, I am plenty happy out here in Marion county and am glad that I bought out here.

I think the others are just jealous. 040 :hot: evil6

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:06 AM
Gold member

The only thing I've heard is that the Marion County property taxes are supposed to be a bit higher than those in Sumter County, and the houses on the Marion County side are a bit older, but that's about it. It's pretty lovely everywhere in TV!
Old 05-29-2008, 05:26 PM
Eternal Member

Of course the houses are older! When they built in Marion county in 2001, south of 466 was a cow pasture.

Somewhere on TOTV there are posts on the property tax millages in the various counties. Unfortunately after reviewing the posts there is a large discrepency in the rates between posts. You should probably go to the website in the three counties to get the latest millage rates unless someone from Lake and Sumter wants to post the millage from their 2007 tax bill. The 14.7728 was from my tax bill and not a web site.

Also remember that our bonds were considerably less and some of us paid them off right away so if you buy a resale ask them to pay the bond off as part of the sale.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:14 PM
Sage

Oh you said Marion County. I was thinking there was a problem with the mom from Happy Days. Thank god she's OK :joke:
Old 05-29-2008, 08:32 PM

Thanx to ALL of you for the great replies!
(I spoke with Fonzie, he says MRS. C is ok)

Well...we bought it.

This is a great site and has really helped us research and make our decision.

Thanx again all
Old 05-29-2008, 09:34 PM
Sage

serenity....congrats on your purchase. All of TV is wonderful....you can't go wrong anywhere you buy. Maybe we'll meet you at a Crispers luncheon.

ps...you still considering the concierge medical practice???
Old 05-30-2008, 04:39 PM

Thanks.

Absolutely still considering it. No rush though. Things will unfold as they are supposed to and I will figure it out when the time comes I suppose. I am sure I will be there as a physician in one capacity or another.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.