Solar tubes and salar fans-update

Closed Thread
Old 05-03-2011, 06:41 PM
Platinum member
Default Solar tubes and salar fans-update

I just had the solar tubes and attic fans installed. The Solar Guys did the job. When I posted my original questions about solar fans, many TOTV people asked me to give an update if and when I had them done.

It has only been a few hours since the installation in my living room/dining room of my Iris but I like the brigtness. These tubes DO NOT CREATE HEAT OR RAYS THAT CAN FADE FURNITURE. The room is now bright. Better than having it dark the way it was.

The attic fans seem to be okay, but if I had to choose doing one or the other I'd do the solar tubes over the ceiling fans.

Thanks Skip for allowing me to check out the tubes in your house, before going through with our purchase.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:24 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hannon View Post
I just had the solar tubes and attic fans installed. The Solar Guys did the job. When I posted my original questions about solar fans, many TOTV people asked me to give an update if and when I had them done.

It has only been a few hours since the installation in my living room/dining room of my Iris but I like the brigtness. These tubes DO NOT CREATE HEAT OR RAYS THAT CAN FADE FURNITURE. The room is now bright. Better than having it dark the way it was.

The attic fans seem to be okay, but if I had to choose doing one or the other I'd do the solar tubes over the ceiling fans.

Thanks Skip for allowing me to check out the tubes in your house, before going through with our purchase.
Tom,

I would love to see what you have had done!
Old 05-03-2011, 07:32 PM
Sage

The Solar Guys are great, aren't they!

One "extra" benefit of the solar tubes....when it's lightning at night, the tubes "light up" with each flash....on a night with lots of electrical activity, it's almost like a strobe light....

Watch out, Tom, getting Solar Tubes can become addicting. I now have three and am considering a few more!
Old 05-03-2011, 08:04 PM
Sage

Tom - Thanks for the feedback on the solar tubes and the attic fans. I think the solar tubes are great....and they provide immediate, noticeable enjoyment. We really like the ones that came with our resale - The Solar Guys had done them as well, according to the previous owner. Your attic fans.....perhaps not so much of a apparent impact. But I'll bet your house will feel cooler and your A/C won't have to work as hard in the hot weather!

Bill
Old 05-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
Tom,

I would love to see what you have had done!
No problem. Can we hook up sometime next week? Me and my wife's schedule is hectic this week. Next week would be less hectic.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post

The Solar Guys are great, aren't they!
Watch out, Tom, getting Solar Tubes can become addicting. I now have three and am considering a few more!
Pooh, I agree that getting solar tubes can become addictive. I love them, especially the largest ones. We had the Solar Guys install five solar tubes, and I'd like more!
Old 05-04-2011, 08:13 AM
Veteran member

Last year when I had my Solar Tubes installed I got an energy rebate from the Feds. Is that rebate still being given?
Old 05-04-2011, 08:33 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2at View Post
Last year when I had my Solar Tubes installed I got an energy rebate from the Feds. Is that rebate still being given?
Yes it is a tax rebate. They (The Solar Guys) have a form to fill out.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:40 AM

We're moving into our home in Tamarind Grove in June. I've heard so much on this forum about solar tubes but don't recall any post that talked about cost.
There are so many things we want to do to our new home but we've got to pick and choose based on "bang for your buck". Can anyone hellp?
Old 05-05-2011, 07:33 PM

Tom, it was great to finally meet you and Carol on Tuesday. Ironically, it happened to be the day you were getting both your attic fan and solar tubes installed. When Floss and I are back in TV this winter, we'll reconsider the solar tubes. Hopefully, the four of us can connect at that time.

Dan
Natick, MA
Village of Buttonwood 1/12/11
Old 05-05-2011, 07:52 PM
Platinum member
Default Before & After 2 yrs ago

Solar Lighting BEFORE & AFTER
Old 05-05-2011, 10:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadlos View Post
We're moving into our home in Tamarind Grove in June. I've heard so much on this forum about solar tubes but don't recall any post that talked about cost.
There are so many things we want to do to our new home but we've got to pick and choose based on "bang for your buck". Can anyone hellp?
We put three in our house (kitchen, laundry, guest bath) and we love them.....really changes the whole atmosphere . When we are at the kitchen bar (where we are most of the time) we rarely turn on a light.....The cost was around 1500.00 bucks but well worth it . I think we got about 300.00 back from Uncle Sam.....

enlightened fumar
Old 05-06-2011, 02:04 PM

Your before and after photos really show what a difference solar tubes make. We will consider them for sure when we finally buy in TV. Thanks.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.