Closed Thread
Old 11-25-2020, 10:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Question Profile

Let's agree the profile of The Villages has significantly changed over the past 10 years and what it was then is no longer. What are some of the pluses and minus's others have seen over the years.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:09 AM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
Let's agree the profile of The Villages has significantly changed over the past 10 years and what it was then is no longer. What are some of the pluses and minus's others have seen over the years.
MINUS. The concept of Florida’s friendliest “hometown” went down the drain with the suburban sprawl thanks to the developer.
PLUS. The pitch and put golf course.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
MINUS. The concept of Florida’s friendliest “hometown” went down the drain with the suburban sprawl thanks to the developer.
PLUS. The pitch and put golf course.
Why is growth such a bad thing?
Old 11-25-2020, 12:32 PM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terriy View Post
Why is growth such a bad thing?
because a small hometown concept is a good thing as was advertised for years by the prior generation and the new generation is ruining that

hometown = friendly, know your neighbors, low taxes, low crime, not much traffic or noise

sprawl= opposite of the above per the 25% increase in taxes
Old 11-25-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
because a small hometown concept is a good thing as was advertised for years by the prior generation and the new generation is ruining that

hometown = friendly, know your neighbors, low taxes, low crime, not much traffic or noise

sprawl= opposite of the above per the 25% increase in taxes
The Villages is still a friendly "small hometown" concept for most people. Very few people venture too far from their home so it's a bit of a red herring.

We know all our neighbors, great people!

Taxes are much lower here than where we came from so that's a huge plus. Crime is almost non-existent in The Villages compared to much of the rest of the US. I do read the on-line news and just reading the "crime" they post gives a clear indication of just how little actual crime there really is here. They have to dig deep to find anything and then they sensationalize what they do find. Do I really care that a 45 year-old child of a Villager got arrested for some misdemeanor???

Traffic and noise? Really??? Compared to what, Montana? Rural Ohio? Upstate NY?

The taxes have been beaten to death and it was not a 25% increase in anyone's tax bill and most certainly not for all Villagers. But - that doesn't make for a good story so let's embellish until the uninformed get fired up about something they know nothing about.

The Villages is an awesome place. I tell friends that if you can't find anything to do here you really don't want to engage with people. 98%+ of the people here are outstanding folks. Don't let the ~2% ruin your day.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!
Old 11-25-2020, 01:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,685 Times in 954 Posts

I seriously don't understand why some people continue to live in a community that they complain about so much.

Last edited by Marathon Man; 11-25-2020 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
I seriously don't understand why some people continue to live in a community that complain about so much.
Thank you!
Old 11-25-2020, 01:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
I've been here for over 8-1/2 years and other than new construction and new villages opening up, I haven't seen very many changes.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:03 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,399 Times in 1,459 Posts

Quote:
I seriously don't understand why some people continue to live in a community that complain about so much.
Some of the complainers don't live here and those that do live here most likely would complain about any community they lived in.

Last edited by vintageogauge; 11-25-2020 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Let's agree the profile of The Villages has significantly changed over the past 10 years and what it was then is no longer...
I don’t think everybody would agree with your basic premise.

Bigger? Of course. Different in any significant way? Not so much, at least imo.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,427 Times in 2,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPacers View Post
The Villages is still a friendly "small hometown" concept for most people. Very few people venture too far from their home so it's a bit of a red herring.

The taxes have been beaten to death and it was not a 25% increase in anyone's tax bill and most certainly not for all Villagers. But - that doesn't make for a good story so let's embellish until the uninformed get fired up about something they know nothing about.

Please be accurate and honest. Sumter County taxes most certainly did go up by 25% from the 2018 to 2019 bills (they were down maybe 4% in the 2020 bill). Sumter County taxes are not the only thing on the bill in November, it also includes School Taxes, Fire District assessments, road maintenance fees, and the bond (if any). Those things did not go up 25% so the bottom line did not go up 25% but the Sumter County taxes portion of the bill absolutely did increase by 25%.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:21 PM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPacers View Post

We know all our neighbors, great people!

Taxes are much lower here than where we came from so that's a huge plus. Crime is almost non-existent in The Villages compared to much of the rest of the US. I do read the on-line news and just reading the "crime" they post gives a clear indication of just how little actual crime there really is here. They have to dig deep to find anything and then they sensationalize what they do find. Do I really care that a 45 year-old child of a Villager got arrested for some misdemeanor???

Traffic and noise? Really??? Compared to what, Montana? Rural Ohio? Upstate NY?

The Villages is an awesome place. I tell friends that if you can't find anything to do here you really don't want to engage with people. 98%+ of the people here are outstanding folks. Don't let the ~2% ruin your day.

Apparently The Villagers who turned out in droves to defeat the developers puppet commissioners won’t agree with you.
Also Inverness refused to allow The Turnpike an extension through their town because they didn’t want to lose their hometown atmosphere. And the TP has already ruined TV hometown atmosphere thanks to the developer.

Last edited by John41; 11-25-2020 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,155 Times in 5,382 Posts

Quote:
We have been hear less than a year and happy, will be even happier when life comes back to normal
Old 11-25-2020, 02:45 PM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trayderjoe View Post
Thank you!
Thank you!
———————————————— ————————————————

“Don’t pee on my shoes and tell me it’s raining”.
Judge Judy
Old 11-25-2020, 02:56 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

I feel sorry for people that appear to be crabby, complain about things outside of their control, and perhaps just want to vent.

Not saying this applies to the OP or those who may agree, just sayin'.

Most times in life, I prefer glass is more than 1/2 full. Seems to help my blood pressure and outlook in life and the future. Que Sara Sara....

Tags
profile, years, minuss, pluses, longer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.