How did you find your TV home?

Closed Thread
Old 01-13-2011, 09:00 AM
Location: Endwell (NY), Cherry Hill (NJ), Naperville (IL), Philadelphia (PA), Tamarind Grove
Default How did you find your TV home?

I know from previous posts that to cover all bases I need to work with a Villages Realtor, an MLS Realtor and to look at FSBO listings.

Can you share what worked for you and how long it took you to find your home?
How many times did you visit TV before coming for a serious house-hunting expedition?
Can you recommend an MLS realtor?

Also, I've seen several posts where people have mentioned that they moved to TV and then moved again. I'd like this to be a once and done thing. Can you share the reasons why you sold your original house and bought a different one?

I want to come down for a house hunting trip within the next couple of months, but I would like a realistic expectation as to how long I might need - a week or a month? I realize everyone's experiences are unique, but I think this will help me.

The posts in TOTV have been a tremendous tool to help me identify a lot of 'definite' features, 'nice to have' features and 'not interested' features.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor111947 View Post
I know from previous posts that to cover all bases I need to work with a Villages Realtor, an MLS Realtor and to look at FSBO listings.

How many times did you visit TV before coming for a serious house-hunting expedition?

Also, I've seen several posts where people have mentioned that they moved to TV and then moved again. I'd like this to be a once and done thing. Can you share the reasons why you sold your original house and bought a different one?

I want to come down for a house hunting trip within the next couple of months, but I would like a realistic expectation as to how long I might need - a week or a month? I realize everyone's experiences are unique, but I think this will help me.

The posts in TOTV have been a tremendous tool to help me identify a lot of 'definite' features, 'nice to have' features and 'not interested' features.
Here's where we found our house: http://www.thevillagesfsbo.com/

No realtors involved. Used McLin Burnsed law firm (LSL office) to handle the contract and closing - scheduled our own inspections. The whole process went pretty darned well, all things considered. McLin Burnsed contact person seemed overworked/really busy but at the end of the day, everything got taken care of on time and the closing went very smoothly.

We bought a patio villa as we're only going to be spending time in TV as snowflakes for a few years. If we were to ever move to TV permanently, we might consider buying a larger home....but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it! But there's an example of why some people move from one home to another in TV.

Re: your house hunting trip - Unless you're forced into a deadline to buy a house, I'd suggest a number of short trips to look around. At least that's what we did. Gave us the opportunity to really get a feel for TV - what areas we felt were most to our liking, the different homes and their pros and cons (from our perspective), and so on. When we stumbled across a house that met ALL the criteria on our list of things we'd want to have in a home in TV, we knew it was the right place for us. But that's just the way we tend to do things: very slow and methodical. Others come to TV, love the place immediately (as we did also!), and buy a home virtually on the spot. It works for them! As long as you know yourself well enough to know what's going to make you happy, then proceed as you see fit.

Bill
Old 01-13-2011, 09:13 AM
Gold member
Default Our house

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor111947 View Post

All it took was one brief visit! But I'd recommend a lifestyle visit. Hope you join us in paradise.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:48 AM
Sage

We came up to check out the place, met with a Villages agent, told him we wanted to look at new homes, stucco only and designer models. During our next visit, only about a week later, we knew what we wanted in a home and yard. Told our agent the specifics of what we wanted, what model we wanted, how much land we wanted, what we did NOT want and left the search in his hands. Took four months, but he found the house and it was just what we wanted. Was the easiest search for a home we'd ever had... Agent sent us pictures of the house, it was still in need of finishing touches, but the dozen pictures of the inside and the outside, including great pics of the back yard, made our decision quick and easy.

When thinking about what type of home you'll want or need, think about what you have now, what you can't get along without, what really isn't important to you and think about your new lifestyle. A large home is nice if you want space, but it has to be heated and cooled and cleaned. Large yards require maintenance but if it's important to you, then get the largest your budget will allow. Will you have lots of visitors? Maybe you need three bedrooms and not two. Do you like more privacy than not? Maybe a villa with fencing suits you better than having views of others' homes and yards. Do you want to be close to town? Some people enjoy being near the town squares, but do remember there is music every night and you'll hear it. Do you want to be near a rec center? Again, there's noise from tennis or pickleball and some of the clubs have entertainment. You'll hear this. For some it's annoying, for others, no problem. Do you need lots of storage? Do you have two cars? Will you keep two cars? Garage space can be a problem in some of the villas with only 1 1/2 car garages. Will you be here full time or part-time? There's lots to think about and while you have the time to do so, think long and hard about what you want. We've had only one neighbor move because his home was too small. Actually moved from the smallest designer home to a new large premier home. Now they have all the space they want.

We knew we wanted a new home and that made the search just a tad easier. When you are also considering a pre-owned home, the search becomes a bit more involved. Either way, you'll find it's challenging, exciting and FUN.....ENJOY! Remember, not all people move from one home to another, but some do....here and in many other places in the US.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Hi taylor

We found our home in LaZamora on-line, actually by accident.....We were really seriously looking (after renting two years in a row) for a "no-maintenance condo" and interested in the villas around the SS Square....When we first looked at them, they were around $300,000 (which compared to NC was high, but NC and Fla. are sooo different, here you are buying a life-style, a great one at that!) Our realtor, Greg Yoder (with the villages), was very patient..After looking, we decided to wait for condos near Hacienda Rec. Center to become available (which were exactly like the ones for $350,000)....Greg contacted us and informed us that there would be a "bidding war" on those and the price would start at $475,000 to 600,000...We were not interested in bidding (since the recession, prices have dropped), so I checked the internet, and low and behold, found our little "gem", even thou it is NOT maintenance free, it was a great decision.....Just dumb luck, house had been on the market for a month....House is a little unique, mother-in-law suite, 3 bedroom, 3 bath, fireplace, spa, courtyard with fountain, plantation shutters, no bond in Lake Co., built-ins, california closets, but more importantly the price was fair! Only way I'm leaving this place is in a "Box, or in my case hefty bag, giggle")
Taylor, my advice, enjoy the search for your "gem", sometimes you can find a pre-owned with add-ons and my biggest suggestion, find a home in Lake Co. so there will be NO bond, (will add $20,000 to $40,000 to price of the home)....Good Luck
Old 01-13-2011, 10:07 AM
Gold member

We purchased a house in 3 days on our first visit. After seeing the Villages we decided to look for a house. We only had 2 criteria, actually 3 if you include the price we were willing to pay. Actually they were my wifes criteria. She wanted to be near water and wanted a closed kitchen. That was it. We were shown both resales and new houses and found a house that met our criteria in a couple of days. Fortunately we are located in a great location with many golf courses nearby and LSL being 10 minutes by golf cart. However this was not planned as we really had very little idea where this house was located. We lucked out there. We have been in this house for 6 years this coming April and have no intention of moving. We purchased this house before we sold our house in NJ and had not much of an idea how much that house would sell for. If we had known we probably would have purchased a more expensive house or at least raised our purchase price criteria.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 01-13-2011, 10:13 AM

We rented for awhile. Talked to everybody. Then made a list of everything we wanted in a pre-owned for our perfect house including price range and location. Let realtors search and send us their finds. We were very picky so we shot down a ton of fine homes. When we finally found it, we knocked on neighbor's doors and checked them out. Have a perfect match now.
I believe in lists. The longer your list, the longer it will take. Ours was a year but we were picky! Most do it in weeks.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

After stopping by to see friends who lived here who insisted we spend the night and gave us some KOOL refreshing drinks, we fell in love and booked a lifestyle visit about four months later. During the interim I found TOTV and began methodically studying the models. I knew that new homes were only in a certain area and knew that Hadley was being built at the time.

We came on a lifestyle visit and our very young and beautiful Villages Rep assigned to us took a few days off in the middle of our stay. We read the new listings, just two and a half years ago they were NOT building houses for people, just spec houses, and we drove around with a map and walked around a number of them. This was after a two hour tour from Miss Young and Beautiful. (Who went on vacation) We found one we dearly loved and the garage door was open and we let ourselves in. We called the sales number and asked how much it was and they said it was just sold. We found the house right next door open too, after trying the garage door and we walked around and liked it almost as well and the price even better. (It was less expensive than the Lantana we loved) We decided to buy it and I got cold feet and left in the middle of the signing. We drove around and were looking at the house again when an agent was taking a couple through..and I said...they can't do that, that is OUR house...so we bought it....and we are completely satisfied with it and more than delighted with the neighbors. We think if we move down permanently we will want a bigger house.

We never saw Miss Young and Beautiful again but we were assigned Jim McLaughlin who we think is the best!

And the best part is...that the dearest couple who we have become VERY close to moved into the house next door that we originally wanted. Yay Ruthie and Norm!!!! They are like family to us now.

And that's the truth!
Old 01-13-2011, 10:30 AM

We came down for 3 winters in a row. We loved going to open houses and spent a lot of time doing just that, even though we weren't seriously looking to buy at that time. By doing this, we were able to decide exactly what features and neighborhoods we really wanted. Every morning we would look at the new listings in The Villages pre-owned site. Last January we saw one in Virginia Trace and jumped in the car to drive by. There wasn't even a sign on the property yet, but as we drove by the gentleman who owned it was coming out to get his newspaper. We asked him if this was the house for sale. He invited us in and by the afternoon we made an offer. If you see something you really like you have to move quickly. We've been very happy with our purchase, yet still enjoy going to open houses!
Old 01-13-2011, 12:01 PM

I bought a home last June. I had previously visited TV six times, including 2 Life style visits. From those visits I knew what type of home I wanted (resale). I spent alot of time visiting TV home sale and Sally Love & Cindy Wise Realtors websites to look at homes. I identified about 20 homes I wanted to see. I schedule a 10 trip to TV. Day one was with a Village rep. Day two with Cindy Wise. I saw all 20 homes. Make an offer which was accepted. Did all of the paperwork, was present at the home inspection and opened a bank account at Citizens. All in 10 days (and played golf and tennis too). Closed 30 days latter. A lot of work, but it was worth it.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:26 PM
Sage

We house hunted with a TV agent and MLS Realtor on three different trips, looking for great buy on a resale vacation home.

We wanted a two-bedroom for now, as we are limited to short stays of a week or less during non-winter months. We rent it out in winter. Our plan was/is to trade to a three bedroom when we become frogs.

Nontheless, we shared a criteria list with both agents so they showed us only homes that fit the bill. We found a great buy on a turnkey resale that we love. It is perfect for our vacation-rental use.

We were very pleased with both agents: Nanette Tolleson at TV and Linda Sears at Morris Realty. I can highly recommend both.

Your list of must-haves, nice to haves and don't wants, along with a defined price range, will go a long way in making your search as productive as possible. Happy house hunting.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:04 PM
Gold member

I had heard about TV about 10 years ago from my older sister, whose mother-in-law had spent 2 winters here - raved about it because she doesn't drive (a car) and was able to still get around by golf cart. My sister's mother-in-law didn't and doesn't play golf, any other sports, join any clubs or do much of anything except complain about things and watch TV, so I was not exactly inspired.

6 years ago I heard that friends of mine (with whom I had lost touch) had retired here. We'd both moved to different cities in between. We had time to kill on our way back to Ohio from a visit to Orlando and got in touch to see if they could meet us for dinner. Never ever expected to be impressed by TV.

They invited us to stay the night - we did, went on the trolley tour (best guide of the 3 tours we've been on with friends/family), got invited to stay another night, did, and saw how much fun our friends and their neighbors were having.

Short version - the next year, when we had turned 55, we decided to buy and rent it out until we could retire. Looked at resales and new construction. At that time, resales were priced and selling significantly higher than new construction. Things were hopping. We determined that a CYV was the best choice for us, chose the model we wanted (Ohioboy talked me into a 3 BR model - if he hadn't we'd be moving again now), the direction we wanted it to face, and got on a waiting list (had to be ready, willing and able to buy before they'd put you on the list) once we got home and listed and got an offer on my condo in Ohio.

Took a couple more weeks to move to the top of the list, and when our agent called with the address and some info (price, some decor info), we checked our map, took a deep breath and called back the next morning and said yes. We were lucky - we had overnight to decide because the call came late Sunday afternoon. Others had only 4 hours to decide.

We bought almost at the height of the market - spring of 2006. I think there was one price raise on new construction after we bought. We moved down this fall and are finding it to be as good as we thought it would be.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:00 AM
Location: Endwell (NY), Cherry Hill (NJ), Naperville (IL), Philadelphia (PA), Tamarind Grove

Thanks to all who shared their stories. I'm planning a week long trip in March to do some serious house-hunting with the hope of finding my 'dream home'. I've been surfing the websites (TV and MLS) and have developed a number of criteria that I expect will result in a manageble number of houses to see, but coordinating between 2 realtors (TV and MLS) and three different types of homes (TV - new and resale and MLS) is going to be a challenge. I still have to do a lot of homework since I'm on the fence about new. I hope I'm being realistic, but I'm looking forward to moving forward with my plans to become a TV resident this summer.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:08 AM
Gold member
Default Be realistic

I've purchased about 15 homes over my adult life (from age 27 to 55), mostly due to transfers or new jobs, and I have to tell you - there is no perfect house. There are always trade-offs. Even if money is no object, it is impossible.

So, make your list of must-haves, would-like-to-haves, and absolutely-don't-want, and go from there.

I think one reason I was able to buy relatively quickly in TV is that I can quickly see what I DON'T want (because I may have had it in the past and knew it didn't work for me). But that said, everyone is different in these criteria - just try to figure out what works best for you.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.