Property taxes

Old 03-17-2024, 02:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
Property taxes are the most oppressive and arbitrary taxes imaginable, and they are practically the only taxes that retirees pay, unless you're dumb enough to hold your life savings in a taxable account. It always seemed insane to me that the states that rely the most on property taxes are the top retiree destinations. In a sane world, voters and not bureaucrats would decide your tax rate, it would be illegal to tax anything that doesn't produce a cash flow to tax, a given dollar of wealth would only be taxed once, and you could retire from paying taxes on the day you retire from making money. We apparently do not live in a sane world.

Then, my day to retire came, and here I am in Florida, not low-tax Oklahoma where I was raised. And where in the Villages did I buy? Marion County.

I'm in Florida because the weather is nice. I'm in Marion County to try and escape the horde of other winter escapees. And for four months every year (usually while waiting 6th in line to buy gas at BJ's), I sometimes wonder about my sanity.
Retirees pay gasoline tax unless they walk everywhere and have a push lawnmower. They also pay sales tax.
.........And while we are talking taxes......I hope people know that a flat tax is the most regressive tax. Because rich people already probably inherited a home and other reasons. Florida has a flat sales tax because they HOPE that international visitors and northern visitors pay for most of the state expenses. But, you and I are still stuck with a flat tax which hurts middle and lower classes the MOST.
.......People bitch about California, yet they have one of the BEST tax systems in the US because they have a PROGRESSIVE tax system which means the more money that rich people make, the more income tax they pay. In California the lower classes get the tax breaks, which is the RIGHT way to do it because it encourages EACH generation to HAVE to work hard and become successful.
..........Florida encourages people to succeed by BEING BORN rich!
..........Property tax and income tax laws are made law by the upper class in states like Florida.
Old 03-17-2024, 05:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,277 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyg View Post
The $6700 could be because it is not the owner's primary residence. If it is his/her second home or investment property taxes are higher.
No true...

We don't pay any more just because we're not yet full time.

We just cannot take advantage of the Homestead Act...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-17-2024, 06:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
No true...

We don't pay any more just because we're not yet full time.

We just cannot take advantage of the Homestead Act...
Bit that alone would result in you paying more than a fulltime resident. Then, the Save Our Homes limit on taxable value increases would make the difference even greater over time.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Last edited by Bill14564; 03-17-2024 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-17-2024, 06:27 PM
Sage

As I understand it, the “save our homes portability” when you buy another home in Florida works like this. The difference between the market value and the assessed value of the home you are selling will be subtracted from the market value of the new home to establish the assessed value of the new home. This only applies if you are homesteaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Not an "expert" in taxes and tax comparisons, but wouldn't it also apply, that the actual tax paid would depend on if the present property owner's tax bill had a homestead exemption ? And also (don't understand how this works) was told that when an individual sells their homesteaded property to move to another property where they will have a homestead exemption, the taxes will (somehow ??) be similar to their previous residence and NOT increase 25, 30, 50% ? If someone actually knows how that works, would love to see it posted here !
Old 03-17-2024, 07:00 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,323 Times in 597 Posts

Post the addresses so people can check out your numbers.

Numbers seem off but unless we know the addresses, we can’t verify.
Old 03-17-2024, 07:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Bit that alone would result in you paying more than a fulltime resident. Then, the Save Our Homes limit on taxable value increases would make the difference even greater over time.
No, not initially, if we bought at the same time...

The homestead act only limits the rate increase...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-17-2024, 07:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
No, not initially, if we bought at the same time...

The homestead act only limits the rate increase...
Homestead subtracts $25K or $50K from the taxable value before applying the millage rate. Save Our Homes limits taxable value increases to 3% per year. Neither limits the tax rate.

On day 1, a new resident and a new snowbird will pay the same. By year 2 the full time resident should be paying less.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-18-2024, 07:11 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartnsoul View Post
We went to see a villa today in pennecamp. Approximately 1600 sq ft. Taxes $2700 a year. Then went up north to see Same Exact villa. Taxes $6700. Are u kidding? I know Marion Co is more but we expected hundreds more, Not Thousands? How is this possible?
Something is not right here. Sumter is cheaper than Marion, but the amounts you show are ridiculous. I'm in Marion county, my home is larger AND I have a pool, and I pay no where near $6700. Much closer to the $2700.
Old 03-18-2024, 09:49 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartnsoul View Post
We went to see a villa today in pennecamp. Approximately 1600 sq ft. Taxes $2700 a year. Then went up north to see Same Exact villa. Taxes $6700. Are u kidding? I know Marion Co is more but we expected hundreds more, Not Thousands? How is this possible?
Your numbers cannot be right. I have a 2200 sq ft designer any my Marion county taxes were about $4400. The homestead exemption was worth about $787. If I paid five months late, that would add another $330. Still nowhere near your Marion county tax figure for a home with a much lower assessed valuation.

Marion County’s mileage rate is 51.6% higher than Sumter’s, unless you are within the City of Wildwood, in which case Marion’s rate is 17.6% higher. However, the bond expense in Marion is much lower, and for most homes the bond has been paid off.

Last edited by nn0wheremann; 03-18-2024 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Add in Wildwood
Old 03-18-2024, 03:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Homestead subtracts $25K or $50K from the taxable value before applying the millage rate. Save Our Homes limits taxable value increases to 3% per year. Neither limits the tax rate.

On day 1, a new resident and a new snowbird will pay the same. By year 2 the full time resident should be paying less.
That's exactly what I said...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-18-2024, 04:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
That's exactly what I said...
Of course it was. That’s why I was agreeing with you.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-18-2024, 05:13 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,091 Times in 298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Retirees pay gasoline tax unless they walk everywhere and have a push lawnmower. They also pay sales tax.
.........And while we are talking taxes......I hope people know that a flat tax is the most regressive tax. Because rich people already probably inherited a home and other reasons. Florida has a flat sales tax because they HOPE that international visitors and northern visitors pay for most of the state expenses. But, you and I are still stuck with a flat tax which hurts middle and lower classes the MOST.
.......People bitch about California, yet they have one of the BEST tax systems in the US because they have a PROGRESSIVE tax system which means the more money that rich people make, the more income tax they pay. In California the lower classes get the tax breaks, which is the RIGHT way to do it because it encourages EACH generation to HAVE to work hard and become successful.
..........Florida encourages people to succeed by BEING BORN rich!
..........Property tax and income tax laws are made law by the upper class in states like Florida.
Well, that's B.S.

What does "regressive/progressive" have to do with paying taxes? The government doesn't owe you extra votes just because you're poor -- so why should a poor man pay less to fund the government than a rich guy? And what business is it of yours, where he got his wealth?

The purpose of our government isn't to force everybody to be equally poor. You're confusing us with North Korea. Our government is supposed to guarantee our liberty, not our wealth. There's an interesting document you can read to help you figure out where you live. It's called "The Constitution of the United States. Even though it is the supreme law of the land, it is written in language any educated person can easily understand. You might notice that doesn't say anything about giving breaks to poor people. In fact, it never mentions wealth other than our God-given right to pursue it. And, although it was amended about 100 years ago to create an income tax, it doesn't say one word about making it "progressive".

If it bothers you to you live in a state that attempts to follow America's supreme law of the land instead of North Korea's, why are you here? Wouldn't you be happier handing your wealth over to California, so they can redistribute it in the "progressive" manner you prefer?

Full Text of the U.S. Constitution | Constitution Center.
Old 03-21-2024, 12:31 PM
Veteran member

Higher then $6,500 for a small villa??
Old 03-21-2024, 04:27 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default More

Look for even higher taxes as we speak. Commissioner Wiley just said he backs a 22 million dollar increase in spending for fire.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning

Tags
taxes, villa, property, marion, expected

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.