Property taxes

Old 03-17-2024, 08:27 AM

Plus a 30K bond on that new home. Sumter has the lowest property taxes Marion and lake county are higher
Old 03-17-2024, 09:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Ours property taxes here in Texas last yr. Went from $6,4??. to $4,243. & we are supposingly getting a senior citizen discount because we’re both 75 yrs. old. But a little worried because they’re building 2 more schools. But thinking about moving again where property taxes are lower & either NO HOA or about 1/2 what we’re paying now! Everything here is geared for the ones that have children. Basically nothing because our HOA knows if they put anything in for us the kids will have it all torn up. Nothing against kids but their parents don’t watch them.
Old 03-17-2024, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartnsoul View Post
We went to see a villa today in pennecamp. Approximately 1600 sq ft. Taxes $2700 a year. Then went up north to see Same Exact villa. Taxes $6700. Are u kidding? I know Marion Co is more but we expected hundreds more, Not Thousands? How is this possible?
When I bought my house 2 years ago in the Village of Charlotte the taxes were much less. The following year they were reassessed based on what I paid for the house. I applied for the Homestead deduction, which will be applied on this year’s tax bill. What you are quoted as taxes will change.
Old 03-17-2024, 09:32 AM
Default Whole picture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Location Location Location
Were you looking at just property taxes vs property taxes, bond, maintenance, fire dept total?
I believe past taxes may only be a guideline. If a property is assessed at let's say $250,000 in 2018 and you purchase the property at $400,000, the assessed value will increase quite a bit. I've been told roughly 85% of the purchase price will be the assessed value but I'm not convinced that is accurate.
$4000 difference sounds like something is missing.
Old 03-17-2024, 11:31 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron32162 View Post
Plus a 30K bond on that new home. Sumter has the lowest property taxes Marion and lake county are higher
Not true....Marion County's rate is 4.29, Lake is 5.0364, Sumter is 5.19
Old 03-17-2024, 11:36 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasr View Post
Not true....Marion County's rate is 4.29, Lake is 5.0364, Sumter is 5.19
True, and further more, Leesburg and Wildwood taxes are astronomical. Those two taxing cities encompass all new Villages homes and developments.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 03-17-2024, 11:40 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingoutofdodge View Post
When I bought my house 2 years ago in the Village of Charlotte the taxes were much less. The following year they were reassessed based on what I paid for the house. I applied for the Homestead deduction, which will be applied on this year’s tax bill. What you are quoted as taxes will change.
You got it. Taxes are reassessed each time the home is resold. And you can bet the taxes don't go down.
Old 03-17-2024, 11:41 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Location Location Location
And yet, friends of ours chose a villages sales rep. and in their initial conversation in the office, ask many questions about the Villages covering 3 different counties, something they had not dealt with previously as career moves usually had them considering only a single county nearest their work. They were told there is NO difference here; that if the sales taxes are lower in one county, the property taxes will be more; that if the utility companies in one county have higher rates, it will be off set by my other considerations being lower, and so on. They did a little fact gathering and comparisons on their on, and found the agent's opinion to be very erroneous and concluded the agent was more interested in personal gain than in helping them find the best financial situation for them ?
Old 03-17-2024, 11:48 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Did you see the tax bill or just a number? A tax bill will contain a line for property tax, a total for ad valorem taxes, and a total tax which would include any bond payment. After that, different counties have different tax rates and some homes are within incorporated areas with additional taxes.

I would ask to see the actual bills (or look them up online) to know exactly where those numbers came from.
Not an "expert" in taxes and tax comparisons, but wouldn't it also apply, that the actual tax paid would depend on if the present property owner's tax bill had a homestead exemption ? And also (don't understand how this works) was told that when an individual sells their homesteaded property to move to another property where they will have a homestead exemption, the taxes will (somehow ??) be similar to their previous residence and NOT increase 25, 30, 50% ? If someone actually knows how that works, would love to see it posted here !
Old 03-17-2024, 11:54 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edtherock View Post
In Sumter county my understanding is a previous homeowners property taxes are capped a certain amount each year. So if they owned a house for 20 years let’s say their taxes are 3000. Then they sell. The new owners who do NOT own a present property in the villages will pay for example 6000 dollars now. The house is reappraised at present value and the cap is gone. So the cap now resets for the new homeowner at the higher rate. There is a grandfather clause at least for Sumter County property taxes.
So, if one lives in Sumter county 15, 20 years, sells, and BUYS again IN Sumter county, would their taxes stay relatively the same assuming the square footage is relatively the same, meaning a 1400 sq. foot house (not villa) to a 1400 sq foot house but in Sumter co. ? That makes it even stranger that agents will say it really makes no difference which county one moves to ? ? ?
Old 03-17-2024, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartnsoul View Post
We went to see a villa today in pennecamp. Approximately 1600 sq ft. Taxes $2700 a year. Then went up north to see Same Exact villa. Taxes $6700. Are u kidding? I know Marion Co is more but we expected hundreds more, Not Thousands? How is this possible?
Maybe you mean $670? I live in Marion County and my taxes are about 1/3 of what you stated. It’s
Old 03-17-2024, 02:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasr View Post
There’s something else going on here that you are missing. Possibly exemptions/upgrades? Yes, Marion’s tax rate is about 43% higher than unincorporated Sumter, but that doesn’t explain your numbers.
The average tax bill in Florida is $6,000 per year. So, I agree that something is wrong with that comparison.
Old 03-17-2024, 02:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretmattson View Post
OP, Did you calculate the actual taxes YOU will pay? Or, are you looking at the taxes the current homeowners pay? Current homeowners may have the homestead exemption or not. They may have been living in their homes longer than others. They may have paid substantially less for their home. They may have owned a previous home in Florida and receive a save our homes reduction. A home may have a high bond or a significantly smaller one that has been paid down. Everyone DOES NOT pay identical property taxes even neighbors who live next door. When purchasing a home, you must calculate what YOUR taxes will be.
I see that response as very informative and can explain the tax differences.
Old 03-17-2024, 02:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Not an "expert" in taxes and tax comparisons, but wouldn't it also apply, that the actual tax paid would depend on if the present property owner's tax bill had a homestead exemption ? And also (don't understand how this works) was told that when an individual sells their homesteaded property to move to another property where they will have a homestead exemption, the taxes will (somehow ??) be similar to their previous residence and NOT increase 25, 30, 50% ? If someone actually knows how that works, would love to see it posted here !
Yes, homestead exemption would make a difference if it was included in the numbers given. That is one reason why looking at the actual tax bills would be useful.

The Save Our Homes limit on increases in taxable value is portable and can “follow” a Florida resident from home to home. I don know the details well enough to describe it but I’ve seen some good information online.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Last edited by Bill14564; 03-17-2024 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-17-2024, 02:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Also, the taxes you see online could be 1/2 what you are going to pay because older homes tax rates are "sort of" frozen if the owner has been living there for a number of years and when a new person moves in you get hit for full current rate. When we bought our actual rate was almost double what the previous owner was paying (taxes, not inc bond) even after all the deductions. I guess at least in the new areas what you see (taxes) is what you will pay.
I hate old people so much that I can't even look at myself in the mirror.

Tags
taxes, villa, property, marion, expected

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.