Public Service Announcement - Police Speed Traps

Closed Thread
Old 09-25-2021, 12:54 PM
Default Public Service Announcement - Police Speed Traps

In no way am I encouraging dangerous or unlawful driving habits, but I have noticed several police speed traps, or better known as traffic enforcement areas popping-up within our community. There has been daily speed traps for the past two weeks on Warm Spring Avenue near Meggison Road which is just north of the Florida Turnpike. There has been increased police traffic enforcement during the weekdays and primarily during the afternoon. I saw some poor guy get pulled over for maybe going 10 - 15 mph over the posted speed limit. I understand he was speeding a little, but really.

Which other areas of our community should I pay special attention when driving? Always be safe and please drive safely.
Old 09-25-2021, 01:08 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,142 Times in 301 Posts

Don't speed.
Old 09-25-2021, 01:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

That is a - IMHO - Public Disservice Announcement.

Many may not like them, but speed limits are there for a reason.
Old 09-25-2021, 01:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penglobal View Post
Which other areas of our community should I pay special attention when driving?
I have seen those awful 'speed traps' all over The Villages.

I even saw one person get a ticket just because he pulled into a postal station a little too fast.
Old 09-25-2021, 01:36 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

So this might be an anti-law enforcement post?

Some speed enforcement areas are put in place at the behest of the residents of an area because they believe they are in danger since their reflexes and reaction time are considerably slower than 20 years ago. "trap" is usually a term reserved to those who just don't like being told what to do.

As to the "some poor guy" comment...for all it's known is he was weaving all over the place or had an expired plate/license. Assuming someone fell into a "trap" means that the city/county intentionally sets up an area to squeeze $$$ to line their coffers.

Can I assume some people just don't like rules when they feel it may impact "their own" life?

"speed traps" are usually put in place where: a)there has been known excessive speeding(and that would usually be 1 to 5 mph over the limit for a "trap"...not 10 to 20...agreed to nationally as too much.
Old 09-25-2021, 01:38 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts
Default This post is not true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
I have seen those awful 'speed traps' all over The Villages.

I even saw one person get a ticket just because he pulled into a postal station a little too fast.
as the poster would have no idea what was on the ticket...unless it was them...in that case perhaps they did it in a reckless manner. Who knows?
Old 09-25-2021, 01:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
In no way am I encouraging dangerous or unlawful driving habits, but I have noticed several police speed traps, or better known as traffic enforcement areas popping-up within our community. There has been daily speed traps for the past two weeks on Warm Spring Avenue near Meggison Road which is just north of the Florida Turnpike. There has been increased police traffic enforcement during the weekdays and primarily during the afternoon. I saw some poor guy get pulled over for maybe going 10 - 15 mph over the posted speed limit. I understand he was speeding a little, but really.

Which other areas of our community should I pay special attention when driving? Always be safe and please drive safely.
Speed traps? Really?
Obey the speed limit you will not have a problem…….
Old 09-25-2021, 01:46 PM

the roundabout at Meggison Rd is the scene of several accidents due to excessive speed. Enforcement appears to be the correct solution.
Old 09-25-2021, 02:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Where any speeding enforcement should really be is OUTSIDE TV on Hwy 441/27.

The only time you see a police cruiser out there is AFTER a accident.
Never see anyone pulled over for speeding in the 11 years living in tv.
Old 09-25-2021, 02:09 PM

I'm confident the guy I was referring to was pulled over for speeding. As I passed the cop who was stopped and concealed behind some trees in the grass medium, I could see his radar detector. I was driving exactly the speed limit and the poor guy who passed me was only going a little faster than me.

I 'm not for unsafe driving nor am I anti-cop, but the next time you drive a little over the speed limit and you get ticketed, I'm confident that you will immediately seek the guidance of a ticket-attorney and fight that speeding ticket to the best of your abilities. So please don't be a hypocrite and state that all violators most be cited.
Old 09-25-2021, 02:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:

In my opinion they are waaaaaay overdue--and welcome.
Old 09-25-2021, 02:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,250 Posts

The increased enforcement was published in the Daily Sun and was due to several accidents and apparently significant speeding in the area, glad to see they are following up. I typically set my cruise control at a couple of MPH over the posted speed limit, and I am constantly being passed, even at 40 MPH on Buena Vista and Morse I get passed by cars that have to be going close to 60, and occasionally weaving in and out of traffic. IMHO, people need to slow down.
Old 09-25-2021, 03:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

And don't forget, it's called: The Speed "Limit".
Old 09-25-2021, 03:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Posters moan about bad driving, and speeding on a regular basis on this site, and the minute something is done about it, the law is being heavy handed.
C'mon Son!
Old 09-25-2021, 03:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
So this might be an anti-law enforcement post?

Some speed enforcement areas are put in place at the behest of the residents of an area because they believe they are in danger since their reflexes and reaction time are considerably slower than 20 years ago. "trap" is usually a term reserved to those who just don't like being told what to do.

As to the "some poor guy" comment...for all it's known is he was weaving all over the place or had an expired plate/license. Assuming someone fell into a "trap" means that the city/county intentionally sets up an area to squeeze $$$ to line their coffers.

Can I assume some people just don't like rules when they feel it may impact "their own" life?

"speed traps" are usually put in place where: a)there has been known excessive speeding(and that would usually be 1 to 5 mph over the limit for a "trap"...not 10 to 20...agreed to nationally as too much.
I think the majority opinion here is "rules are for others"... I could be wrong.
Closed Thread

Tags
speed, traps, community, driving, areas

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.