Public Transportation...The Lack Of IT In TV

Closed Thread
Old 08-15-2008, 05:02 PM
Banned
Default Re: Public Transportation...The Lack Of IT In TV

Public bus systems in Florida have proven to be a bottomless money pit of low-volume ridership. The combination of heat and thunderstorms make for absolutely lousy waits.

Routing through all of TV to provide service to connect all villages, LSL, Spanish Springs, and wherever else would be desired brings a price tag. It is highly doubtful that such a bus service would be self-sustaining, and subsidies (taxes!) would be necessary to pay the deficit costs. The schedule for such service would never satisfy anyone, either, as it would be a too-late, too-early, not-often-enough and/or wrong-spot operation.

The old line that there is no such thing as a fully-funded problem holds well here. The question is, out of whose pocket does the fully-funded part come from?

The Daily Sun's classified section usually has several listings for airport-limo types of service to supplement the shuttle bus.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kit9240
My mother (95) lives in Connecticut in a retirement home and has never driven. There is a service called "dispatcher ride" which she can make a reservation and they will pick her up and take her anywhere she wants to go and pick her up at a designated time. The charge is usually $2.50. Most communities that have a senior center provide transportation for a minimal charge to to the center on a daily/weekly basis. This service provides those that can no longer drive the opportunity to get out and socialize, shop, doctor's visits, etc. This service may be funded by the state (Elderly Housing).

I hope that TV will provide a service like this in the future. It would be less expensive than calling a taxi.
I think you might be referring to this system in Norwalk? http://www.norwalktransit.com/info_services_norwalk.htm

If so it is for ADA use. Not sure if FLA has such a thing as a requirement that Norwalk does but I guess it is worth checking out.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston
I think you might be referring to this system in Norwalk? http://www.norwalktransit.com/info_services_norwalk.htm

If so it is for ADA use. Not sure if FLA has such a thing as a requirement that Norwalk does but I guess it is worth checking out.
Again, it's part of a tax-subsidized local public transportation system. The cost is only "low" for the rider because the community picks up the deficit costs through taxation.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:31 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

Here in NY it is called Access-A-Ride......it provides transportation for the handicapped in all five boroughs. The cost is the same as pubic transportation $2.00 each way.

Shirleevee

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 08-15-2008, 06:39 PM

Russ / Steve -

Norwalk Transit is the program I was referring to. Any idea how or where to research this?
With so many retirees living in Fla, I would think there would be services like this in most areas.

Kathy
Old 08-15-2008, 06:55 PM
Sage

I'd be surprised if there is not some sort of support group within TV for access handicapped villagers. Maybe someone here on TOTV might know. You might also contact the Norwalk people and ask them about comparable programs in FLA.

If not then I imagine that you could access the FLA government web site and look for ADA transportation etc.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:03 PM
Veteran member

We live over near Bob Evans just off 466 and there are two different bus lines that our neighbors who don't drive use to get around. Also, lots' of neighbors help each other out with shopping and medical appointments. I have a non-driving friend and I try to help her out when her husband is not available to take her some places. Remember, the Villages is a friendly environment. You can find assistance for almost anything here.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:28 PM

I dont want to sound insensitive, but if you dont drive you should have not moved to TV. If you are looking for public transportation you should know that all public transportation has to be subsidized by the city, town, state or whoever.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

On the other hand I want to sound sensitive and I think the sweet folks I have met would exchange favors at the drop of a hat. I know we would be glad to assist our neighbors if they needed a ride.

I know you will say that gets old, but on the other hand I think that others would be equally as sensitive not to burden people. We all have to face that someday we won't be living independently in our homes. However there is no use worrying about it today.

:bigthumbsup:
Old 08-15-2008, 08:40 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by `willy
I think these bus's are still running http://sumtercountyfl.gov/cs/transit/bus.htm

Willy
Right on Willy!!!!!! That's exactly the timetable schedule for transportation around TV that I have posted in my garage in TV. It's so frustrating to have left something behind when you move between two far-away homes. Sooooooooo pleased that you came up with that. Now I know it wasn't a "senior moment." Thanks Willy 040 024 wav

barb

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 08-15-2008, 08:44 PM

sumter county DOES provide limited public transportation to the villages the bus route is currently available for free to all village residents. http://sumtercountyfl.gov/cs/transit/bus.htm
Old 08-15-2008, 08:50 PM

Next time you see a Sumter County bus, count the number of passengers. Normally no one is aboard. As said above, public transportation is a bottomless pit. Most of us have moved away from high taxes and wasteful spending.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:57 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

http://www.lakecountyfl.gov/departme...ransportation/

Shirleevee

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 08-15-2008, 09:46 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlent
curious to know how you all feel about the lack of public transportation in TV. No bus service, no taxi after 8pm. It seems to me that a community of 70K + should have a good public transportation system. What about all the folks who do not drive? Do not drive a cart? It's a big place....what are your feeling about this?

Carlent
TV should use some of their buses and chg. 50cents per ride and have volunteers do the driving.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:02 PM

sixyear villager: Right on.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.