Publix phasing out plastic bags

Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2020, 02:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
I guess you are unaware then, that one of the main goals of the mileage legislation wasn't just to save you money on fuel...it was also to reduce pollution.
No, it was in the aftermath of the Arab oil embargo and it was designed to limit dependence on foreign oil, as was the 55 national speed limit----it had absolutely nothing to do with pollution
Old 01-20-2020, 03:23 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

I've been doing a little digging into the internet and it is supposed to be illegal for any city or state in the US to dump garbage in the ocean and has been so for a number of years. So where are these plastic products coming from that are polluting the ocean, primarily the Pacific Ocean? The five biggest violators are China, Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam. These 5 countries dump more plastic into the ocean than all other countries in the world combined. So how is banning plastic bags in the US going to affect the amount of plastic in the ocean? It isn't, not one bit because we don't dump it into the ocean.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd2 View Post
I asked a Publix (on 466) employee last week about this and they said Publix is NOT getting rid of the plastic bags. I hope this is true. I use them for my groceries and then for many other uses in my house.
Just got back from Publix, asked the same question and they said yes, the ARE getting rid of plastic bags but the implementation plan has not been introduced.....then they thanked me for bringing my bags. Guess I will send a message to Publix Corporate and ask the question.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-20-2020, 04:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
No, it was in the aftermath of the Arab oil embargo and it was designed to limit dependence on foreign oil, as was the 55 national speed limit----it had absolutely nothing to do with pollution
Sorry, but you are totally incorrect.

As I said...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore
"one of the main goals of the mileage legislation wasn't just to save you money on fuel...it was also to reduce pollution."

Facts On Fuel Economy Standards (Turn ignition key here)
Quote:

The idea behind a fuel economy standard is to push automakers to produce vehicles that travel further on the same amount of fuel, thereby reducing the need for gasoline and decreasing pollution.

It's actually simple common sense.

With all other things being equal and knowing a vehicle (especially one in the 70's) pollutes, if car-1 uses 5 gallons of fuel to go from point A to point B and car-2 uses 10 gallons for the same distance...take a guess on which one "pollutes more?"

You're welcome.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:31 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

Moderator. Pls put us out of our misery ! Nothing said about publix in many posts !!
Old 01-20-2020, 08:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herchmer View Post
I don't have a dog, but when I walked my "granddogs" I would use the plastic bags that our newspapers were delivered in. Perfect size.
Must be some really big poop.....

I'm all for stores doing away with plastic bags. One of my irks in life is seeing an empty plastic bag caught in bushes, up in a tree or rolling in the wind.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
I've been doing a little digging into the internet and it is supposed to be illegal for any city or state in the US to dump garbage in the ocean and has been so for a number of years. So where are these plastic products coming from that are polluting the ocean, primarily the Pacific Ocean? The five biggest violators are China, Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam. These 5 countries dump more plastic into the ocean than all other countries in the world combined. So how is banning plastic bags in the US going to affect the amount of plastic in the ocean? It isn't, not one bit because we don't dump it into the ocean.
Up until this past year, much of Florida's trash was sent to China. This has been in all the papers, it's an actual "thing" for the Villages. If you check on some of the newsrags online, and even here I believe - you'll see information about it. Look for pretty much any thread or article about the Recreation Center weekly schedule being printed in the Daily Sun for details.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Easy fix; keep a bag in your car.
Come time when the plastic bags will be a thing of the past, I plan to keep a few re-usable bags in the golf cart and a few in the car.....always. I'll be prepared. Not sure I'll remember to bring the bags into the store but....that's what the little key ring is for. I'll attach it to the outside of my pocketbook as a reminder.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2000 View Post
You can always use paper bags.
Is there a problem with insects in the folds of the paper bags? I remember that was a problem years ago.....hence, I've never bagged my groceries in paper bags.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by prntxpresn View Post
Reusable bags need to be washed after each use from the contaminants that store items carry.
Not gonna happen. We still have strong immune systems in our household.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem001 View Post
So Publix thinks plastic bags are destroying the planet -- but they will sell them to you at 99 cents
Publix will sell the re-usable cloth bags for $.99, not the plastic bags.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
There was a greeter at Publix yesterday informing people that Publix will be phasing out plastic bags. I was told this new policy will be implemented in the next 2-3 months.

Re-usable bags are $.99 each. I received a re-usable bag key ring as a reminder to bring re-usable bags to Publix. It is cute!
Just went to Publix in Lake Deaton. Cashier knew nothing about this. Same with cashier behind me who overheard?
Old 01-21-2020, 06:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlee500 View Post
Just went to Publix in Lake Deaton. Cashier knew nothing about this. Same with cashier behind me who overheard?
You mean to say there may be 139 posts based on an unsubstantiated rumor????

WELCOME TO TOTV!!!
Old 01-21-2020, 07:14 AM

I have been using my own bags for years.
How about using the plastic bags from your newspaper to clean up after your dog? You’ll need more than one a day, of course, but I’m sure your neighbors without pets will save theirs for you.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:30 AM

Ever think of using your Sun Times bag for your dog? Just thinking
Closed Thread

Tags
publix, bags, re-usable, phasing, plastic

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.