Purchase of a new home

Closed Thread
Old 09-19-2007, 12:01 PM
Banned
Default Re: Purchase of a new home

Part of any transaction is knowing (and accepting) the terms of the other party - some things can be negotiated, some things can't. For those items that can't, then planning (including absorption of any additional costs) is needed.

Coming to TV for a whirlwind visit and slapping down money on Trip #1 wasn't for us. It took a couple of trips, a lot of conversation in between trips and afterwards with the sales office, and only when the "ah-ha" place came available did we make the plunge. To us that was part of the the cost of doing the transaction, and we considered those costs as our personal "insurance" that we were really doing the right thing. In other words, it was money well spent to us!

Let me also say that we had the advantage of having lived in Central FL for a couple of decades before going north 3 years ago, so already knew the lay-of-the-land business-wise and such. That includes knowing how it is to live in Central FL - the costs, the environment, just the way things are done here. I have a hard time imagining just up-and-retiring in Central FL without any idea what it takes to live here - and it is just as different here as it is to move anywhere else in the nation. A tip of my hat to all who have done it!

One thing about TV - it's not going anywhere and there will always be turn-over of property - the median age of the population makes that a reality. So, if the developer won't accept your terms, and you won't accept the developer's, then the resale market - which is thriving and more flexible term-wise - may be the option for now. That's not a bad option as there's some great houses, and pretty good deals, always there.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:05 PM

The answer is to get A HELOC (Home Equity Line of Credit) before you put your home on the market. Then you do have the funds to do whatever you decide upon at The Villages. No going into your retirement funds and certainly gives you more options.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:21 PM
Platinum member

We purchased in Feb. Closed on our old home Feb 1st and our Villages home Feb 16. When we decided on our Villages home, we got a bridge loan through citizens to carry us over to closing. It worked out without a wrinkle.
Tampa, FL
Old 09-19-2007, 01:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

like noleguy and Avista say, when the time comes, we plan to get a short term bridge loan (HELOC) to get by.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:59 PM

Heres another idea. We sold our home and then rented back for 1 month which gave us time to run down to TV, see the home we wanted and come back and finish packing. That gave us the money from the sale of our home to put down in TV and not have to dip into savings. We are leaving tomorrow so I have to close now and unhook the computer. When I write next, it will be from TV. FINALLY!

A BIG SHOUT TO ALL OF YOU. WISH US LUCK!!! :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:
Old 09-19-2007, 02:29 PM

Happy and safe travels to you, husband and animals, DD.

Bye, bye Colorado, HELLO The Villages.

Hope to meet up with you in TV when we're there for a few weeks in Oct/Nov.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:27 PM

I agree with Nancy. I just don't see how so many people come up with 20% down payment in 7 days. Do all these people have that money at their disposal? We have money but it is tied up in funds and I'm not about to take it out and lose on interest to satisfy TV. Furthermore, taking out a bridge loan or home equity line of credit means paying additional interest on it for no reason. I guess I have a very difficult time accepting this. I think if TV were to do business like other builders do they would be selling more homes. They make it very difficult for folks who need to sell their home first. Like Nancy and others have mentioned I have no desire to rent a place while I wait for closing. It takes 60-90 days for closing in Illinois. If TV functioned the same way, we could buy in TV, close on our home and then close in TV in 90 days with proceeds from our house. Furthermore, if TV was building homes to specification and taking the usual time (8-9 months) there wouldn't be an issue of paying down payment in 7 days. Not only does TV force potential buyers to buy homes without any input (I cannot choose my counter tops, lights, floors, etc) but it also wants me to close in 7 days. Again, I may love TV once I spend time there. As of now, I have too many questions and there are many negatives against TV.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:02 AM

I suspect that has long as folks keep buying at TV the terms of purchasing a home won’t change. I think if they are not on there way to sell several thousand homes this year as in past years things might change in there purchasing policy or we will continue to see these great offers or both.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.