Purchasing a home

Closed Thread
Old 07-09-2007, 07:16 AM
Default Purchasing a home

Hi Everyone!

I am looking forward to making the trip from New York to Florida's Friendliest Hometown in September to purchase. I would be grateful for any advice. New vs. Resale? Location? CBS vs Vinyl siding? Would love to hear about your own experience in purchasing so I can be as informed as possible.

Thanks,
Pat
Old 07-09-2007, 09:04 AM
Sage
Default Re: Purchasing a home

Lots of questions....you'll get lots of opinions. So much depends on what you can afford, how you want to live (Villa vs Designer size), and what you like to do. There truly is something (housing-wise) for everyone....from original manufactured homes selling for $80K to new Premier size homes selling for a million dollars...and, everything in between.

A few thoughts...

New vs resale: higher closing costs on new; high bond in newer neighborhoods; good - it is new, all are pre-built so you know exactly what the house and lot and view look like; 1 year warranty; latest design techniques. I hear that the developer is offering more incentives on new houses. Building now in a location that is close to the geographic center of what the Villages will eventually encompass (i.e. central location)

Resale - much of the initial stuff is done...blinds, landscaping, painting, etc. Landscaping is more mature; if more than 2 years old, the owners have made a tidy profit and price should be more negotiable. Actually, you may not find much difference in sales price between new and resale of the same model.

Vinyl vs CBS - Stucco is more expensive but sure seemed to weather the tornado better than Vinyl. Then it becomes a matter of personal taste.... I came from NE too and had had enough of Vinyl siding houses...to me, Florida living is block and stucco.

Location....depends on whether you want to be close to the action or in a quiet distant corner. The best advice someone gave us when looking was to find a house where the Lanai faces North or East so that you don't get summer afternoon/evening sun in the Lanai. If you buy new, you're limited to where they are building. If you look at resales you can zero in on your preferred location. Resales...Villages lists a total of about 500 properties; other realtors and FSBOs probably account for at least an equal # of properties for sale. New Homes .... there is a lot of inventory to choose from so anyone should be able to find something that meets their major requirements.

I bought last summer, just as the frenzy was winding down. One house we liked was gone by the time we went for a second look. Fortunately, we then found another that was even better and we had essentially 4 hours to decide to put a contract on it or it would be back on the open market. I'm not sure how the sales process has changed in the past year. At our time, you put down a $2,500 deposit and had to come up with 20% of the sales price within 5 days. Closing is pretty fast too...less than 30 days. If you have a house to sell....sell it first before you come here to buy. Many folks came down here and bought a house on a whim only to find they couldn't sell their home back north and got in a tight financial bind.

OK...that's enough; I'm sure others have alot to offer too.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:07 PM

Thanks for all of your input. Fortunately, I am doing this in an orderly fashion and I have sold my house already. There is just so much to think about! Being a single woman, it seems to be getting more and more overwhelming, the closer it gets. Thanks, again!
Old 07-09-2007, 05:00 PM
Veteran member

Hi. Good luck in your move. We also sold our home first and then came down. Never left after seeing the Villages!

We bought a Courtyard Villa. We have a pet and enjoy our privacy. This villa is perfect for us. If you are a single person, you might want to consider a Villa. The only fenced property here in the Villages is in Courtyard Villas. Patio Villas have little fences and are lovely. Ranch homes, designer and premier homes do not have fences.

Our Villa is two bedroom and two bath. We bought a corner lot to have a full backyard. We are in Tall Trees and we consider it a great location.

I have no idea what the prices are but I am guessing that a previously owned Courtyard Villa would run about $200k and could include lots' of good things. Some people actually sell their golf carts with their homes and others have done some great improvements to their homes which you might really enjoy.

I you would like anymore first-hand information on our vacinity, just drop me an e-mail since my e-mail address is available on this site.

Best of luck and hoping you make the move and love it as much as we do.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:43 PM

We are offering our 2 br, 2br with extras for $169,000. That's less than we paid in 2008 for our villa. Its like new, but better

You will pay more than this for new constuction that doesn't have a 11x20 bird cage expanded lanai.
Cobblestone paver floor in Lanai and bird cage.
Added pantry in the eat in kitchen.
Wood grained beveled glass entry door.
Completely landscaped with stone, no grass.
220 electric to lanai for spa-hot tub (not included)

we have over 180,000 invested, but priced for sale w/o real estate. Villages atty's can habdle closing

Selling because our new home is being constructed. This villa is available to close in late October

I can send photos to your e-mail address if you send me a pm
352-633-1279 for more info. Take a look at it when you get here if we still have it. thanks Tom & Teresa
Old 08-31-2011, 05:26 PM

http://www.bainbridge-villas.info/PDF/ZumbrookVilla.pdf Try this link to see the photos and details.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patfinn View Post
Thanks for all of your input. Fortunately, I am doing this in an orderly fashion and I have sold my house already. There is just so much to think about! Being a single woman, it seems to be getting more and more overwhelming, the closer it gets. Thanks, again!
Just one thought if you haven't spent an amount of time in TV already. I decided to rent for a while since I am not that familiar with TV only having been there once. I will take the time I am renting to learn all I can about the various communities and explore new and resale homes. Then once I am comfortable with what I want I will actively begin looking for my permanent TV dream home.
Suzanne
Old 08-31-2011, 07:11 PM
Sage

The original posts in this thread are over 4 years old........

Bill
Old 08-31-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
The original posts in this thread are over 4 years old........

Bill
Oops.....see how tired I am from non-stop packing to get to TV as fast as I can... The Villages Florida .....maybe its time for bed! The Villages Florida

Suzanne
Old 08-31-2011, 08:32 PM
Sage

Not to worry, Suzanne - I've done the same thing myself!!!

Bill
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.