purchasing new golf clubs

Closed Thread
Old 10-29-2021, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,786 Times in 1,248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Take the Golf Academy course (5 days) at Sarasota... I know it's offered elsewhere, but my wife took the course there and loved it...
Agree, great way to start.

They also take you 1 on 1 to a Championship course for 9 holes and show you around.
Old 10-29-2021, 09:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,590 Times in 568 Posts

Coming from Michigan I have always had my clubs fitted at Carl’s Golf. For me it makes a difference, from a young player, and as I age, my game has changed. Can I pickup any club and play with it sure, but if I am going to spend money to play at any course, why not have my best swing.

Every summer I play with their club fitter, at the club, still happy with the clubs from 5 years ago, but my swing has slowed, and may have some clubs tweaked this summer. My fitted clubs cost is not much more than buying off the rack.
Old 10-29-2021, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgettinger01 View Post
I just bought a used set of golf clubs including bag for $100.00. A new set starts at $300+
Buyer beware...when I finally got back into the game after 40 years of abstinence, I too (arrogantly and stupidly) bought a used set of clubs and started to immediately re-create the "Arnold Palmer" that I thought I had been in my youth. Without even considering lessons, I embarked upon my first set of courses with these clubs only to destroy my "once beautiful" swing and demoralize my ego. After a few embarrissing devastating years, and after finding the right "online" instruction, I finally ordered a set of "One Iron Golf" irons and have been exhuberantly satisfied with my play and performance. I strongly recommend.
Old 10-29-2021, 02:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

The Sarasota Custom Club Shop will fit you with one of the top fitters in the nation, Tom Spargo, or you can get fit with one of the manufacturers Fit Days they have every month.

The New to Golf School is a great way to get started through the Golf Academy.

The Club Shop also has clubs to fit any budget.
Old 10-29-2021, 03:47 PM

There is a new business going to open at Colony. They are going to sell high quality clubs.
They have taken over the old Villages golf cart store.
Old 10-29-2021, 04:39 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
I bought mine from the Sarasota shop after taking a class. Got a fitting, 10% off coupon and the exact same clubs online were $100 more than in the shop plus my 10% off.
Not Pings though, right?
Old 10-29-2021, 04:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,687 Times in 973 Posts

Old golfer cliche regarding clubs: "It ain't the arrow, it's the Indian"...I'm pretty sure Tiger could beat me if he were playing with a coal shovel and a broom.
Old 10-29-2021, 08:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindaws View Post
There is a new business going to open at Colony. They are going to sell high quality clubs.
They have taken over the old Villages golf cart store.
Ready to pay a couple of hundred bucks for a fitting?
Old 10-29-2021, 09:00 PM
Location: Wisconsin, California, military, California, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, (Ugh!) and, FINALLY, TV
Default New clubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcojb View Post
I am in the process of relocating to The Villages this winter and am looking for recommendations of a business/s to purchase new sets of clubs. will consider driving to Orlando.Thanks
I agree with Mr. Mentzer, but do iy where you are, even if they have to ship them to you when the shop gets them. There's too much pressure here to get a "good deal."
Old 10-30-2021, 06:52 AM

Fellinger Custom Golf in Port St Lucie. He is one of the best in the business. Not cheap but you will leave there with the right clubs to best fit your game. It’s worth the drive. Look at his credentials before jumping into anything.
Old 10-30-2021, 08:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
my swing has slowed, and may have some clubs tweaked this summer.
I am 76 and my swing speed has definitely decreased over the years. I get my clubs from Golfworks in Ohio, so I had some made with a more flexible shaft. At first I thought I liked them, but after about a month I realized I didn't, so I put them in my closet. I will probably pull them out at some point in the future.

Over the years, I have experimented with increasing the swing weight of my clubs. Most of my clubs had a D-2 swing weight but one club that I liked was a D-5, so I added some lead tape to the other clubs to make them all D-5. I decided I didn't like the heavier clubheads, so I removed some of the lead tape to set them back to D-2.

A couple months ago, I made my grips thicker, and I definitely like that.
Closed Thread

Tags
clubs, purchasing, driving, sets, purchase

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.