purchasing new golf clubs

Closed Thread
Old 10-27-2021, 05:11 PM
Default purchasing new golf clubs

I am in the process of relocating to The Villages this winter and am looking for recommendations of a business/s to purchase new sets of clubs. will consider driving to Orlando.Thanks
Old 10-27-2021, 05:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,279 Times in 4,297 Posts

My only advice is to get a proper club fitting, based on your swing speed, height, stance, etc...

Most of the larger shops (Edwin Watts, for example) will do a fitting...

-Tom Petty
Old 10-27-2021, 05:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,743 Times in 5,255 Posts

I don't think driving to Orlando would do any good. Golf clubs seem to have a relatively fixed price. You can buy them at stores in and around The Villages. Or, if you know what you want, you can probably buy them on Amazon. But, spending a lot of money on clubs will not make you a good golfer.
Old 10-27-2021, 05:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,743 Times in 5,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
My only advice is to get a proper club fitting, based on your swing speed, height, stance, etc...

Most of the larger shops (Edwin Watts, for example) will do a fitting...
It's nice to get the clubs fitted, but it will also not make you a good golfer. I don't play much anymore, but, when I have been asked to play, I dusted off my $75 set of Walmart clubs and was able to beat players who play every day with very expensive clubs.
Old 10-27-2021, 07:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,687 Times in 973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcojb View Post
I am in the process of relocating to The Villages this winter and am looking for recommendations of a business/s to purchase new sets of clubs. will consider driving to Orlando.Thanks
A bit of information would be helpful.
Are you a beginner?
Golf clubs come in an almost limitless variety of skill level and price points. Sharing those with us would be useful.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
It's nice to get the clubs fitted, but it will also not make you a good golfer. I don't play much anymore, but, when I have been asked to play, I dusted off my $75 set of Walmart clubs and was able to beat players who play every day with very expensive clubs.
There is certainly some truth to what you said...

When asked my handicap, I typically respond, "My swing"...

But... Not to take advantage of the new technology in clubs which make them easier to hit is just silly...

Steel shaft irons give me tendonitis in my left forearm. Graphite shafts fix that...

-Tom Petty
Old 10-27-2021, 08:12 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,076 Times in 432 Posts

Golf Central in Brownwood is a good place to go. Their prices are competitive, and their service is outstanding. They will give you a free fitting, and put you on their swing analyzer to custom tailor the fitting. Friendly folks with a true customer service attitude.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMo50 View Post
Golf Central in Brownwood is a good place to go. Their prices are competitive, and their service is outstanding. They will give you a free fitting, and put you on their swing analyzer to custom tailor the fitting. Friendly folks with a true customer service attitude.
Good call. I forgot about them... I finally stopped in this Summer and was impressed by the staff...

-Tom Petty
Old 10-28-2021, 04:44 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES
Default club champion

Quote:
club champion will be opening at Colony Plaza very soon.
Old 10-28-2021, 05:08 AM

I got a fantastic set at Play It Again Sports in Leesburg. A full, nearly-new women’s set of Adams clubs with all new grips for $300.
Old 10-28-2021, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Don’t go to Sarasota Golf Shop. They’ll sell you the clubs and forget your name when you walk out the door
Old 10-28-2021, 05:20 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

None of the local places do a very good job doing a fitting. Golf Digest had an article about the ten best fitting places in the country. Moon Golf in Melbourne was one of them. I made the under 2 hour drive and it was worth the trip. Make an appointment. And you also save about 20% on the price. I found the local places wanted to sell you what they sold or had in stock. Moon had every club head, every shaft and could mix and match any combination. I ended up with Taylor Made club heads, a shaft flex between regular and senior and a kick point and lie slightly off from standard and a slightly oversized grip. Had to order them and go back 2 weeks later to get them. They charge you for the fitting which was excellent but give you that back against the club purchase.
Old 10-28-2021, 05:21 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Just so you are aware The Villages golf shops sell clubs. The Sarasota Driving range location has several Pros that will do a fitting for you and you can order the clubs right there. They have demo sets that you can test at the range. If you are just going to wing it and buy clubs make sure the shafts are suited to your swing speed
Old 10-28-2021, 05:48 AM

Quote:
My ONLY recommendation is to be custom fitted at the Sarasota Center. They analyze everything from your height, swing speed, swing plane and years of experience. You will not regret it. Edwin Watts is best for auxiliary clubs like lob wedges. They also do a great job putting on new grips. I would also use EW for balls, shoes, bags and other accessories.
Old 10-28-2021, 05:58 AM

I would recommend taking a golf lesson first. Have them solidify your golf swing so a fitting will be helpful. If anything in your swing changes, so does the fitting. Then what you buy will last longer..........you don't buy a car before you learn to drive, same with golf, if you just don't care, then just buy anything.......lesson first, fitting 2nd........better spent money.....
Closed Thread

Tags
clubs, purchasing, driving, sets, purchase

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.