Purses in grocery carts?!?

Closed Thread
Old 03-06-2018, 05:03 PM
Default Purses in grocery carts?!?

Ladies, what are you thinking? Today I was grocery shopping and turned down an aisle to see a cart in the middle of the aisle and a woman reading a label at the far end. As I ambled past her cart, I noticed her purse was there, completely unattended. As a matter of fact, I stopped just past her cart to look at something myself (between her and her cart) and it was another minute before she stood and turned back toward me. She looked confused and almost put her item into my cart...completely unaware that I was there. That's how distracted she was. Anybody could have snagged that bag and sauntered out of the store before she even turned around.

My point is: please don't kid yourself that you always keep an eye on your purse. You don't. I see women do this all the time. You have no idea what demons the next person is struggling with. The temptation might be too much to resist. Its just not worth it.

If your bag is too big to carry, use a cross body bag for shopping. Both hands are free and your wallet/phone/car keys are safe.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,933 Times in 2,456 Posts

I been further than around the block? and you learn to protect your valuable. And yes you're identity and you financial livelyhood are your valuables. Even men can be picked pocketed from pro. I when out in public I put my wallet in my front pocket which 99.9999% fool proof. Women are especially vulnerable even if the have their purse in hand if can be snatched away. All too often we read about pure snatching in stores and on the street. Be aware of your surroundings!
Old 03-06-2018, 07:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,717 Times in 5,245 Posts

Occasionally, I empty my wallet and put everything on my scanner. That way, if I lose the wallet, I have all my information and can cancel and replace it. The only thing that is really at risk is your cash.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Occasionally, I empty my wallet and put everything on my scanner. That way, if I lose the wallet, I have all my information and can cancel and replace it. The only thing that is really at risk is your cash.
Hmmm, not a bad idea at all...especially if kept in a password protected file.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:07 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I sometimes protect myself from my own purchasing losses by leaving my whole wallet at home.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:13 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
I sometimes protect myself from my own purchasing losses by leaving my whole wallet at home.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:14 PM
Platinum member

I grew up in New York.
I always hold onto my purse and never turn away from it.

There have been many times I will say something to a woman
just like the one you’re describing.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

We bring totes, they do resemble a women’s bag. We keep them in the basket as we shop. Card or cash always in pocket.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:19 AM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

shoulder and crossbody straps can be cut by thieves esp if you're standing in a crowd.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by patfla06 View Post
I grew up in New York.
I always hold onto my purse and never turn away from it.

There have been many times I will say something to a woman
just like the one you’re describing.
I grew up in Ohio. Things have changed but I haven't and The Villages still is a very safe place. I am very careful. I bring my better half and no purse.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:36 AM
Veteran member

I leave my billfold sitting in my cart most of the time. What the nosy busybodies don't know is that I have it hooked to the cart discreetly underneath it. I'm a pretty fast runner and know a few things about self-defense. I guess I'm probably daring someone to do it, but I'm prepared and don't appreciate people who scold me. Mind your own business.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:23 PM
Veteran member

I had mine stolen out of my purse on the cart by a team of two. One man asked me a question about a product in the isle. While I was looking at it another took my wallet out of my purse. I knew nothing until I went o pay for everything at check-out. I learned the hard way. It was not here in The Villages.
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, turned, bag, purse, past

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.