Putting Myself on Trial

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2020, 10:19 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts
Default Putting Myself on Trial

I was raised in a white middle class (Low) neighborhood in a suburb of Erie , Pa..

Went to a school system with a senior class of 133 in 1966 and only one black student. I remember her and recall that her name was Elizabeth XXXX( I vividly recall but don't feel right about revealing). She was there only for our senior year as I recollect.)

I never approached her to introduce myself or say Hi, but at the time I never approached many of the girls. Do not know how the other guys and girls treated her.

Now, if I saw someone outside the norm being unattended, I. would go out of my way to include.

Was I a racist in 1966?
Old 08-03-2020, 10:30 PM
Veteran member

Sounds like you treated all the girls, including Elizabeth, the same. Isn't that the exact opposite of racist?

kathy
Old 08-04-2020, 03:20 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

If you were a white male in 1966 and you were not racist, you were breaking the rules of 1966. We were all raised in a racist society then. The question is, are you a racist now?
Old 08-04-2020, 03:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

I was a lot of different 'ists' over 65 years ago, and probably still have a few 'ists' as todays society, seek, and find new 'ists' daily.
I just like to think I am a better person, as I learnt to accept difference, and change over the years.
I do not dwell on the past. I can't alter it, and sure as heck, I not going to beat myself up over it!!
Old 08-04-2020, 06:31 AM
Veteran member

It is interesting to look back. I asked some family members last week if they ever had African American friends. None of us had. One is a former Navy Captain and he said he had never known any black officers.

I went to high school in Cupertino, CA and there were no black students. There were Asians and some Hispanics (although the "beaners" as I unthinkingly referred to them mostly attended a school across town). The 60s were before the time when the wave of East Indians migrated to Silicon Valley.

Throughout my career, I worked with some minorities (but not a lot). I was friendly with them as co-workers, but not close.

I lived in Polynesia and Melanesia for a decade where only about 5% of the population was Caucasian. Even so, I primarily congregated and made friends with the other foreign contract workers in our compound. I still keep in touch with some of them but none of the Samoans, Tongans, Chamorros, Fijians, etc.

Throughout my life, I can honestly say I've never had a close friend who wasn't Caucasian. Never been to the house of an African American. Never lived in a neighborhood that wasn't overwhelmingly white. Certainly not in North Dakota.

Was any of that deliberate on my part? I don't think so, but it is a fact.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
I was raised in a white middle class (Low) neighborhood in a suburb of Erie , Pa..

Went to a school system with a senior class of 133 in 1966 and only one black student. I remember her and recall that her name was Elizabeth XXXX( I vividly recall but don't feel right about revealing). She was there only for our senior year as I recollect.)

I never approached her to introduce myself or say Hi, but at the time I never approached many of the girls. Do not know how the other guys and girls treated her.

Now, if I saw someone outside the norm being unattended, I. would go out of my way to include.

Was I a racist in 1966?

not in my book....you were just a kid, growing up in the 60's

Ignore all these 'self-righteous' folks that try to make you feel guilty for something that you never did
Old 08-04-2020, 06:51 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,776 Times in 3,644 Posts

Won't find the answer here.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,048 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post

Was I a racist in 1966?
I would not say you were a racist. You did not bully her or call her names did you?

You were a product of your times.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,048 Times in 5,337 Posts

It seems to me that we are all more comfortable with people who are like us and we are more comfortable with.

In NYC the best neighborhoods for raising children were predominantly Italian, Irish and Jewish. We all had family values and took care of each others kids.

Lived in Queens for many years and sold two co-ops. Had many people come and look when we sold but do not remember any Blacks coming.

Does that make anyone racist? I dont think so.

Let me ask another question. Why are there so few black families here?

There is a growing middle class among Blacks, and many could afford to live here. Why are they not here?

Last edited by Stu from NYC; 08-05-2020 at 04:56 AM.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,081 Times in 2,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
not in my book....you were just a kid, growing up in the 60's

Ignore all these 'self-righteous' folks that try to make you feel guilty for something that you never did
Very good advise. I would add, take a walk, go for a bike ride, go for a swim, play some golf, do some yard work, or find something else productive to do that will occupy your thoughts instead of festering over putting yourself on trial : )
Old 08-04-2020, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

[QUOTE=Stu from NYC;1812641]It seems to me that we are all more comfortable with people who are like us and we are more comfortable with.

In NYC the best neighborhoods for raising children were predominantly Italian, Irish and Jewish. We all had family values and took care of each others kids.

Lived in Queens for many years and sold two coops. Had many people come and look when we sold but do not remember any Blacks coming.

There is a growing middle class among Blacks, and many could afford to live here. Why are they not here?[
/QUOTE]

This may answer your question A New Wave of Prominent African-American Retirees is Enriching and Changing Our City. | Sarasota Magazine

Sarasota makes them welcome, welcomes their big money. We do not. We try to run off anyone who is not a member of a certain political party. We really do not measure up to the type of environment the wealthy black people are looking for in ordere to retire comfortably and among like minded individuals.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 08-04-2020, 09:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

[QUOTE=Madelaine Amee;1812653]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
It seems to me that we are all more comfortable with people who are like us and we are more comfortable with.

Lived in Queens for many years and sold two coops. Had many people come and look when we sold but do not remember any Blacks coming.

There is a growing middle class among Blacks, and many could afford to live here. Why are they not here?[
/QUOTE]

This may answer your question A New Wave of Prominent African-American Retirees is Enriching and Changing Our City. | Sarasota Magazine

Sarasota makes them welcome, welcomes their big money. We do not. We try to run off anyone who is not a member of a certain political party. We really do not measure up to the type of environment the wealthy black people are looking for in ordere to retire comfortably and among like minded individuals.
You nailed it. I have been in The Villages for 20 years, and love it. But more and more it has become a haven for one party, and certainly not diversity. Not a welcoming place if you are not in the correct catagories
Old 08-04-2020, 09:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

I do not think it is realistic to look back in time and measure the past using today's metrics.

It was a different time.

I am not sure why some feel the need to try to re-write what was then acceptable or not. An exercise proving nothing!
Old 08-04-2020, 09:30 AM
Platinum member

[QUOTE=Bucco;1812656]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post

You nailed it. I have been in The Villages for 20 years, and love it. But more and more it has become a haven for one party, and certainly not diversity. Not a welcoming place if you are not in the correct catagories

I think that anyone of any race who is looking to find a diverse population in which to live can easily find it.

ALL people are intelligent beings fully capable of doing their own due diligence. They do not need to be rescued by the elite—or those who think they are. Don’t insult minorities this way.

The Sarasota article, which deals with the ultra wealthy, cannot be considered analogous.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:19 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,247 Times in 362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
If you were a white male in 1966 and you were not racist, you were breaking the rules of 1966. We were all raised in a racist society then. The question is, are you a racist now?
Seriously? groan.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else

Last edited by npwalters; 08-04-2020 at 10:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
girls, class, recall, senior, approached

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.