Quality of new homes

Closed Thread
Old 01-01-2008, 06:35 AM
Eternal Member
Default Re: Quality of new homes

I bought a ranch in Liberty Park 2 1/2 years ago. That was right when they started building everything as spec homes, no buyer options at all. I've got a 2 bed/2 bath/den Corpus Christi. I was lucky in that this place -- one of only a couple available that day -- was an end unit with a double garage and golf cart garage. Didn't think at the time that this was a big deal, but since then I adore the extra space and am the envy of friends who didn't get them.

I agree with some of the comments that there were a lot of "less than desired" aspects about the house, but for the price I didn't think it was that bad. Since the neighborhood has filled out, almost every home has seen some type of work. Everyone's done a lot of landscaping. Everyone has painted most if not all rooms. Many have added birdcages, others vinyl siding around the bottoms of the screens on the lanais. A few have enclosed lanais. Many have adding guttering. A lot of us have put in tile or hardwood floors. Tile walls/splash stuff -- whatever you call it -- is popular and a few folks have put in new counter tops. A couple people put in pavers, and a few more of us had the drive, garage, lanai, and pad sealed and painted (strongly recommend this :bigthumbsup:-- looks great and makes garage and lanai much easier to keep clean). As for the appliances provided -- hey, they're builder grade, so they suck. I'll not be at all sorry to see my frig and dishwasher bite the dust so I can replace them ~ cost of doing business and I'll plan the expenditure.

All in all, I think I did okay. Maybe I could have gotten a lot more house for less in Leesburg or Ocala, but I also know that I couldn't have gotten a 2 bedroom condo in Alexandria or Arlington, VA, for twice the price. And those don't come with a dozen golf courses within a 10 minute cart ride. :#1:
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 01-01-2008, 02:56 PM
Sage

[quote=l2ridehd ]
Landscaping is worth 5K to 10K depending on how well done it is.
Attic stairs and flooring in garage $500
Curtains/blinds $500 to $1000 depending on quality.
Washer and dryer, are they included? Worth about $1000 (age adjusted below)
Status of the bond. $0 to 25K
Is the lanai enclosed? $3K or more. And make sure you want that.
Other things like shelves in garage and laundry, paver's, privacy screens, etc. etc.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good information here about the cost of resale "extras". We looked at new but didn't like the "bald" appearance of the neighbourhoods without mature landscaping. Some resales are definitely overpriced, but some are real bargains!!

We decided on a resale Courtyard Villa and wanted one 3 or 4 years old so we wouldn't have to worry about replacing the furnace or roof for a while. Our three most important factors were bond paid, location within TV, and view of golf course.

As a former realtor, I've often seen people get stuck on stuff that is easy and inexpensive to change like paint colours, flooring or counter tops! My advice is to concentrate on stuff you can't change once you move in ... especially your location within TV and your view ... make sure you like it!

Old 01-01-2008, 03:15 PM

Barefoot -excellent information to think about - thanks.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:18 PM

Some things are not as inexpensive to change as you think...trying to take down wall paper can damage the walls which is a big deal. Now you have to either put up new drywall or try to repair it and I know this from experience...countertops can be expensive, contractors can be a hassle, things can take months to get finished and trying to do it when you are miles away and not there to supervise is another issue.
We have been doing some type of remodeling on one thing or another on our current home every year for the past 6 to 7 years and it has become a real hassle - it's an ongoing project that I am ready to leave behind.
I certainly can look beyond some of the cosmetics of a home, but I also know that some things will take time, be a hassle and drain your energy.
Also, upgrades...how do I really know that this or that upgrade is something I really wanted if I never had it before...Do I pay for something that I am really not sure I need or want....These are things that are big considerations for us.
I know some people prefer preowned to new and this is great. As I said choice is what makes the world go round.
For us, after looking at what was for sale in our price range and the locations of these homes, new made more sense to us...
Old 01-01-2008, 08:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member

English, I think you are absolutely right . Based on your blog, I think you should reconsider.......
Old 01-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

English, where is your blog? I'd enjoy reading it, please

I understand the frustration about lack of design input, but I can get past that and just make the changes I want later, not a big deal to me. Regardless, I like listening and reading to others opinions.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.