Quantum Fiber info request

Old 01-06-2024, 02:11 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlasowicz View Post
Looking at my spec. sheet that I got as a buyer of a new home it shows the phone jacks were wired with cat 5e I'll have to install RJ-45 ports in place of the phone ports and make sure it is wired properly on the junction terminal in the low voltage box I'll have to make room in the panel box for the ONT and install a good power strip to protect from any surge for the sprinkler controller , power supply for the antenna and the ONT
That's exactly what I did. It's relatively easy to change the connectors from RJ11 (phone) to RJ45 (Ethernet). Go on the web and print out the wiring diagram for ethernet.
Old 01-12-2024, 10:50 AM

Does any one know the rough size of the ONT box they install? The one I have in my home in upstate NY is about 6" by 5" by 1" thick. Curious the size if it fit in the low voltage panel box along with everything else
Thks
Old 01-13-2024, 07:06 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidWestIA View Post
Could you folks show results of a speed test - I'm getting 628 but it seems to be slow sometimes and paying $75 centurylink
I have the 1GB service. When running a speed test using a direct ethernet connection, I get 932MBps download and 943MBps upload. When connected wirelessly, your speed will always be less. The speed will be directly dependent on the wireless router used.

My primary router is a Netgear Orbi, one of the best mesh routers available. When connected to it wirelessly, I get 797MBps download and 853MBps upload. If I use the Quantum 360 pods they give you, I only get 468MBps download and 474MBps upload.

If you want to use a router other than the one supplied by Quantum, you need to set VLAN tagging to 201, as all Quantum traffic goes across VLAN 201. The routers they give you are set to VLAN 201 in the firmware. I have my Orbi set to VLAN 201 and plugged directly into the incoming ethernet jack. (Note: Many lower cost routers do not support VLAN tagging.)

I use the 360 pods to then extend my network in my back lanai and tiki bar area, and for all my 2.4GHz devices.
Old 01-13-2024, 07:37 AM
Sage

That is roughly the size. It fits in the low voltage panel fine but you may have to move some stuff around depending on what you have in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlasowicz View Post
Does any one know the rough size of the ONT box they install? The one I have in my home in upstate NY is about 6" by 5" by 1" thick. Curious the size if it fit in the low voltage panel box along with everything else
Thks
Old 01-13-2024, 10:07 AM
Sage

Thanks for pointing that out for when I buy a new router. I have an older 801.11ac router that doesn't support VLANs. It does work fine, however, with QuantumFiber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolBrews View Post

If you want to use a router other than the one supplied by Quantum, you need to set VLAN tagging to 201, as all Quantum traffic goes across VLAN 201. The routers they give you are set to VLAN 201 in the firmware. I have my Orbi set to VLAN 201 and plugged directly into the incoming ethernet jack. (Note: Many lower cost routers do not support VLAN tagging.)
Old 01-21-2024, 06:47 AM
Default Quantum Fiber Optic area

Does anyone have Quantum Fiber Optic service? If so, what area do you live in? We called today but they said it is not available in our neighborhood area. At the moment we have Century Link. Thank you.
Old 01-21-2024, 10:01 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rduval View Post
Does anyone have Quantum Fiber Optic service? If so, what area do you live in? We called today but they said it is not available in our neighborhood area. At the moment we have Century Link. Thank you.
This ;check availability' link from Quantum lets you know if it is available at your house, it also wants to know if you are a current Century Link (I think that would make the upgrade easier).

Access to this page has been denied.
Old 03-15-2024, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm1214 View Post
Does anyone in the Village of Charlotte or surrounding area use/have Quantum Fiber installed? Are you happy with it? Were there any problems with the installation?
We have Quantum Fiber for a year now, no problems till I wanted y to change payment card. Have to have google chrom or Microsoft Edge on laptop to make change. No problems with install either.
Old 03-15-2024, 10:55 AM
Veteran member

I have 500Mb service. Currently using Speedtest app I get the following at the gateway entrance to my house on Wi-Fi

Windows PC 220 down 279 up ...(hardwire ethernet doesn't seem to improve this much)
Laptop Android 491 down 325 up

Their 360 app show 500 up and down But it always shows the same speed and doesn't vary?

Tags
quantum, fiber, problems, happy, installed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.