Quantum Fiber info request

Old 12-14-2023, 12:10 PM
Sage

Using QuantumFiber (aka CenturyLink):

Nominal speed: 200 megabits per second up and down
Actual speed: 205 megabits per second down and 235 megabits per second up via 5GHz Wi-Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidWestIA View Post
Could you folks show results of a speed test - I'm getting 628 but it seems to be slow sometimes and paying $75 centurylink
Old 12-14-2023, 12:40 PM

Speed also depends on the equipment you're testing with. Our iPhones test twice as fast as my 3 year old desktop computer, presumably because my PC network adapter is not up to the task. But I am not a techie, just pointing out that different machines on the network can test at dramatically different speeds.
Old 12-14-2023, 06:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm1214 View Post
Does anyone in the Village of Charlotte or surrounding area use/have Quantum Fiber installed? Are you happy with it? Were there any problems with the installation?
I've had it for 2 years (1GB) but I also don't use their unit for wifi, I have my own that pump !GB over wifi. never have had any issues at all. dead nuts perfect every day
Old 01-02-2024, 02:15 PM

Does anyone know if they have stopped new installs during the transition from century link to quantum fiber? I live in the village of Lake Deaton (off of Hillsborough where people say they have had it for years) and I am told it will not be available for a while.
Old 01-02-2024, 04:45 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,974 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybersprings View Post
Does anyone know if they have stopped new installs during the transition from century link to quantum fiber? I live in the village of Lake Deaton (off of Hillsborough where people say they have had it for years) and I am told it will not be available for a while.
Were you told by the grapevine or Quantum about suspention of fiber installs?
Old 01-02-2024, 10:41 PM
Default CenturyLink outage

I've had CenturyLink fiber for a few years with no issues until recently. Friday internet went out and they have provided several "updates" via text on when it will be restored. Everyday they said will be restored by 5:00, every day a new update with next day as expected restore by 5;00???? Anyone else have outage this long? Very frustrating.
Old 01-04-2024, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
Were you told by the grapevine or Quantum about suspention of fiber installs?

I was not told of any suspension of installs. I asked if anyone had heard of a suspension (as a guess for possible reason that I couldn't get one).
I online chatted with Quantum and they told me it wasn't available in my area yet. I called Century Link and they told me to contact Quantum. But it sounds like people have had it around me for years.
Old 01-04-2024, 03:36 PM

The question I have for people who have had this service long term has the price stayed the same? Unlike Comcast I have or Spectrum you have to call each year to get a better price due the fact your promotional pricing ends. I have fiberoptic in my home in NY 500 up and 500 down its been $50.00 a month for the last 5 years plus
Old 01-04-2024, 03:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpecha View Post
I've had CenturyLink fiber for a few years with no issues until recently. Friday internet went out and they have provided several "updates" via text on when it will be restored. Everyday they said will be restored by 5:00, every day a new update with next day as expected restore by 5;00???? Anyone else have outage this long? Very frustrating.
No outage in Fenney.
Old 01-04-2024, 03:41 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybersprings View Post
I was not told of any suspension of installs. I asked if anyone had heard of a suspension (as a guess for possible reason that I couldn't get one).
I online chatted with Quantum and they told me it wasn't available in my area yet. I called Century Link and they told me to contact Quantum. But it sounds like people have had it around me for years.
One way to check if you have fiber to your house is look outside where the coax comes into your house (garage). This should be opposite the low voltage box in your garage. Look to see if you have a thin orange cable somewhere near there. If you find it, you defiantly can have Quantum. They just have to 'finish' the install. If you don't see it, then call Quantum and ask if your address is in their service area.
Old 01-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Sage

We have had fiber-to-the-house via CenturyLink/QuantumFiber for just shy of 10 years. In the last year, with the switch to the rebranded QuantumFiber, the price dropped to $30/month. For the other almost 9 years, the price was constant at $45/month. The bandwidth during that time has increased substantially and is currently greatly in excess of what we can use. We have their lowest tier at 200 megabits per second up and down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlasowicz View Post
The question I have for people who have had this service long term has the price stayed the same? Unlike Comcast I have or Spectrum you have to call each year to get a better price due the fact your promotional pricing ends. I have fiberoptic in my home in NY 500 up and 500 down its been $50.00 a month for the last 5 years plus
Old 01-05-2024, 10:50 AM

Has anyone here had Quantum Fiber installed in a patio villa? I currently have Xfinity but at some point like to go to Quantum so I do have to deal with the promotional pricing bs. I did away with the cable TV part and went with a antenna. My question for those who had Quantum installed in their patio villa where was your ONT installed and WIFI router and associated wiring . I would like it install so cosmetically so it looks professionally done. I have a vaulted ceiling so running the wire thru the attic and dropping down thru the inner wall is not a option . I'm trying ideas from homeowners so I can plan for the future
Thanks
Old 01-05-2024, 11:13 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,974 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlasowicz View Post
Has anyone here had Quantum Fiber installed in a patio villa? I currently have Xfinity but at some point like to go to Quantum so I do have to deal with the promotional pricing bs. I did away with the cable TV part and went with a antenna. My question for those who had Quantum installed in their patio villa where was your ONT installed and WIFI router and associated wiring . I would like it install so cosmetically so it looks professionally done. I have a vaulted ceiling so running the wire thru the attic and dropping down thru the inner wall is not a option . I'm trying ideas from homeowners so I can plan for the future
Thanks
Quantum brings fiber to ONU installed outside wall a transformer is installed to power ONU. Existing CAT 5/6 is used to transport internet to modem. We have 200mbs service covers home with no issues streaming 3 tv’s computers and I pad no issues.
Supplying our own modem total bill is $30 taxes included. If you upgrade to 500 MBs or higher Quantum will install “ wifi360” up to 3 units to cover home
Old 01-05-2024, 05:21 PM
Sage

That is not the typical situation with QuantumFiber (rebranded CenturyLink). What is typical is that they put a small box in your low voltage panel that is effectively a "modem" - the fiber optic cable is run into this box. From there, the "signal" (a dynamic IP address) is transported via cat5/6 to a RJ-45 jack and your router somewhere inside your home. With CenturyLink, they were using the more traditional ONT box on the outside wall to house the "modem" and then cat5/6 cable from there, via the low volt panel, to an RJ-45 jack and your router.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
Quantum brings fiber to ONU installed outside wall a transformer is installed to power ONU. Existing CAT 5/6 is used to transport internet to modem. We have 200mbs service covers home with no issues streaming 3 tv’s computers and I pad no issues.
Supplying our own modem total bill is $30 taxes included. If you upgrade to 500 MBs or higher Quantum will install “ wifi360” up to 3 units to cover home
Old 01-06-2024, 10:54 AM

Looking at my spec. sheet that I got as a buyer of a new home it shows the phone jacks were wired with cat 5e I'll have to install RJ-45 ports in place of the phone ports and make sure it is wired properly on the junction terminal in the low voltage box I'll have to make room in the panel box for the ONT and install a good power strip to protect from any surge for the sprinkler controller , power supply for the antenna and the ONT

Tags
quantum, fiber, problems, happy, installed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.