Quantum Fiber Optic Internet Service

Closed Thread
Old 03-27-2023, 11:54 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,257 Times in 427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
Pods are basically signal repeaters to and from the wireless router
Can I use my own wireless router with these pods?
Old 03-27-2023, 02:04 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Can I use my own wireless router with these pods?
Yes, you can use your own, I am planning to upgrade because my wireless router is pre-historic. But - I don't have to.
Old 03-27-2023, 02:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,626 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
If you are talking about Quantum, then you really mean a Wi-Fi router. The Wi-FI router has to be hardwired, via a relatively short ethernet cable, to a jack in the wall that is connected via ethernet cable in your walls to the low-voltage panel, in your garage, where it will connect to a small Quantum provided box that performs "modem" functions and fiber to electrical conversion. The Quantum fiber optic cable will come through your exterior wall into your low voltage panel and plug into this small, Quantum provided box in your low-voltage panel. All of your Wi-FI enabled devices can then connect via Wi-Fi to the Wi-Fi router. I hope this helps.
Thank You for your helping hand. I'm learning as I'm going along and would give anything to have Quantum. I've had this kind of service in NJ and it was set and forget, it was flawless. Your explanation is very kind and very understandable. I thank you for that and I'm sure plenty of others get the way you explained the technicalities. Beautiful Job.

I'm so upset with Xfinity and the broken promises and all the usual B.S. that goes along with companies like them and Verizon etc.

I would think that Quantum would be operational in the newer areas on the other side of 44. When I called back they couldn't even find my street and couldn't tell me if I could have their service or not. I'm still very hopeful.
Old 03-28-2023, 07:47 AM

check out Centric Fiber for south of 44, they have a store next to the UPS store in Pinellas Plaza
Old 04-22-2023, 11:16 AM

I have Centric Fiber. Gave me a free month and only 65 per month for 1 gig speed with no contract. So far they have been best internet I’ve ever had. Customer service is awesome. Easy to get a hold of and they come to your house to help you if needed free of charge.
Old 04-26-2023, 06:36 AM
Default Double NAT Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiwiz View Post
... However you'll also need to keep in mind that the supplied modem/router CAN be used as only a modem (bridging) Which is what I typically do these days as it's just easier. Once past the modem part the rest is straight forward.
I replaced my quatun fiber 360 pods with my own 6e mess system. However I dont know how to set the quatom fiber box to bridge mode so I'm getting double NAT issues. This may be too technical for most people so we can communicate using private messages if you like.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-27-2023, 12:47 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,224 Times in 577 Posts

I'm paying Comcast $60 for 1 gig download with my own equipment. Quantum seems a little faster, but more money. I've had no problems with Comcast.
Old 05-01-2023, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVillages View Post
I replaced my quatun fiber 360 pods with my own 6e mess system. However I dont know how to set the quatom fiber box to bridge mode so I'm getting double NAT issues. This may be too technical for most people so we can communicate using private messages if you like.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.
I don't believe you can set the Quantum Fiber box to bridge mode, at least with the new white one with the integrated router. You can try using your web browser set to 192.168.0.1 and log into the router and see if there is a way but I don't think so best I can remember. But that said double NATing should not be a problem. The amount of extra processing time is insignificant. In fact, it will give you a little more security. You can PM me and we can talk more about this if you want. I've been all through this with Quantum fiber.
Old 05-01-2023, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilyclub View Post
I'm paying Comcast $60 for 1 gig download with my own equipment. Quantum seems a little faster, but more money. I've had no problems with Comcast.
Fiber internet is Always going to be faster because with cable you are sharing the download and upload bandwidth with everyone else on your network link and it's not bi-directional meaning you get good download but terrible upload speeds.
Old 05-01-2023, 07:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Not exactly. The term is asymmetric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Fiber internet is Always going to be faster because with cable you are sharing the download and upload bandwidth with everyone else on your network link and it's not bi-directional meaning you get good download but terrible upload speeds.
Old 05-02-2023, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
Not exactly. The term is asymmetric.
Do you have Quantum Fiber? If not what do you have because I’ve never heard of asymmetric fiber unless it’s a hybrid fiber/coax arrangement. There wouldn’t be a need to be asymmetric with a fiber network.
Old 05-02-2023, 08:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Yes, I do. I have had fiber to the house since I moved here 9 years ago. Currently, they market symmetric bandwidth but before the rebranding (from CenturyLink to Quantum Fiber, same people under the Lucent umbrella) they typically offered asymmetric bandwidth. I previously had 80 megabits per second down and 40 megabits per second up. They could pretty much give you any bandwidths and can probably still do that but the current offerings are 200 megabits per second and 940 megabits per second, symmetric. If I had not switched to the Quantum Fiber rebranding, I would still have asymmetric bandwidth through the CenturyLink brand name with the exact same fiber to the house infrastructure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Do you have Quantum Fiber? If not what do you have because I’ve never heard of asymmetric fiber unless it’s a hybrid fiber/coax arrangement. There wouldn’t be a need to be asymmetric with a fiber network.
Closed Thread

Tags
modem, fiber, router, quantum, cable

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.