Quantum Fiber Optic Internet Service

Closed Thread
Old 03-21-2023, 07:15 AM
Gold member
Default Quantum Fiber Optic Internet Service

Hi,
I am thinking about getting Quantum Fiber internet service, & I would like to purchase my own gateway/ modem router. Can anyone currently using Quantum fiber tell me about their modem router? I have been searching on Amazon but Amazon keeps splashing up pages & pages of Cable modems & my understanding is NO cable modem will work with fiber optic. Does your modem router need a phone jack? Can you tell me the make & model number?

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-21-2023, 07:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member

With Quantum Fiber (as well as the previously branded CenturyLink fiber) you do not need a "modem/router" as the "modem" functionality is provided by a box installed in your low-voltage panel (or in the ONT box on the outside of your house in the case of CenturyLink fiber). This box also does the fiber to ethernet conversion. You just need a router that supports Wi-Fi (which is pretty much all of them and you will want Wi-Fi). You will wind up with an RJ-45 jack somewhere in your house that the router will plug into with an ethernet cable. This may be a RJ-11 phone jack that Quantum changes to an RJ-45 jack (RJ-45 uses all four twisted pairs in ethernet cable, which is what you have in your walls from the low-voltage panel). You should choose a room that is centrally located if possible for better Wi-Fi coverage. Alternatively, buy a mesh router if you need to use an RJ-45 jack on a periphery location. Pretty much every room, with the exception of your living room, should have an existing RJ-11 jack or even an RJ-45 jack. You can pretty much buy any router you want as Quantum will deliver a dynamic IP address at the RJ-45 jack which means that you can plug in any router, computer, or other device such as a VoIP phone. If you are uncertain what you want to do, then lease the Quantum Fiber mesh router for $15 per month and then buy your own at a later time. In this case, Quantum Fiber will set it up for you and you will have a working system when they leave. I use an older ASUS router (dual band 802.11ac) but there are lots of choices. You can't go wrong with one of the contemporary mesh routers. If you have an existing “modem/router” that you are using with your current “cable” provider, you may be able to just use the router part. You will want to look for a single RJ-45 jack that is labeled “internet” or “input”, not one of the “output” jacks for wired connections (typically 4 of them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
Hi,
I am thinking about getting Quantum Fiber internet service, & I would like to purchase my own gateway/ modem router. Can anyone currently using Quantum fiber tell me about their modem router? I have been searching on Amazon but Amazon keeps splashing up pages & pages of Cable modems & my understanding is NO cable modem will work with fiber optic. Does your modem router need a phone jack? Can you tell me the make & model number?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by tuccillo; 03-21-2023 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-21-2023, 08:20 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,972 Times in 755 Posts

We use an Arris NVG448BQ 5 years old 200mgbs service stream, laptops and tablet.
Try looking under Ethernet modem Amazon.
Quantum will supply modem $45 if you provide your own modem $30 monthly
Old 03-21-2023, 08:44 AM

I thought Quantum was providing a free mesh router and pods if you signed up for their service? I got a free router from them that I had them place above the kitchen cabinets, looks like an air purifier.
Old 03-21-2023, 08:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member

What bandwidth did you contract for? Their best value is 200 megabits per second upload/download for $30 per month and does not include their mesh router ($15 per month extra).

Quote:
Originally Posted by laboutj View Post
I thought Quantum was providing a free mesh router and pods if you signed up for their service? I got a free router from them that I had them place above the kitchen cabinets, looks like an air purifier.

Last edited by tuccillo; 03-21-2023 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-21-2023, 12:18 PM
Gold member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
With Quantum Fiber (as well as the previously branded CenturyLink fiber) you do not need a "modem/router" as the "modem" functionality is provided by a box installed in your low-voltage panel (or in the ONT box on the outside of your house in the case of CenturyLink fiber).
Thanks for your very helpful reply. I think I will apply for the Quantum 200 Mbps with their router & pods, because they will complete the setup connection that way. Then at a later date, I will get a WIFI 6 mesh router, set it up myself & if it works keep it & return the rented equipment to Lumen & if I can't get it to work I will return the new router (& keep trying). I currently have a pretty old WIFI router using cable internet (& an extender).
Old 03-22-2023, 04:36 AM

I have Quantum. They install their own modem free of charge with no rental fee. I bought my own router mesh system at Walmart for $189.00. TP-Link w7200. They charge you $15.00 per month to use their mesh system. After one year I will have paid for that system vs renting. I pay $30.00 per month for 200mbps which is plenty. Between Quantum and YouTube TV I pay $101.00 per month. Best deal I have ever had. Plus, with Fiber Optic download and upload speed is about the same vs cable. Go for it!
Old 03-22-2023, 06:00 AM
Veteran member

If you are getting a mesh network system, get 2 mesh routers and get the new Wi-Fi 6e versions, if you don’t you are already out of date. I use 3 of these routers in my house with 2 wired and the last router using the Wi-Fi 6e as the backhaul connection. I can get 800M connection speeds anywhere in the house on my new iPhones/iPads. Using 1 router won’t give you this type of coverage.
If your network technician that you use to set your network up is going to use 2 ssid’s for your Wi-Fi network, then don’t hire them. You wouldn’t believe how many networks are out there using the default 2.4 and 5ghz net names that come from the factory because either the tech is lazy or doesn’t know what they are doing.
Old 03-22-2023, 06:01 AM

When I signed up for Quantum they provided and installed the fiber modem and a two pod nest setup for $30. The installer and I tested things out around the house and I needed a 3rd pod which would have cost $5/m more but he just let me have it (which was nice). I have the 200 Mbps service and its much faster than both the two cable services I had previously. I actually get over 150 Mbps down and 100 Mbps up ever time I check it. That was much closer to the advertised max speeds for the services I had with cable. So far Quantum has been the lowest cost and best service I've found. Too fiber isn't available to all the houses. Hopefully they don't jack up the price!!
Old 03-22-2023, 07:06 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for your help.
you can do what the others suggest....HOWEVER read on -

I'll preface this with my IT background of 46 years. ..with that said -

Quatum is fantastic, I've never had any outage at all. I do run 1G fiber and due to that if you want full bandwdith pretty much all these other "solutions" won't get it for you. (I'll say I read 5 and said you have to be kidding...) The problem with stock solutions is output, ANY modem/router offered by any provider doesn't transmit enough/fast enough. Therefore you won't get full bandwidth at your devices.

You'll also need something that handles the fiber signal, as in converts it. some have this built in others don't. Convert at box, convert at modem. either or. However you'll also need to keep in mind that the supplied modem/router CAN be used as only a modem (bridging) Which is what I typically do these days as it's just easier. Once past the modem part the rest is straight forward.

I run Orbi units in a mesh that gives me full bandwidth on wifi. Range is very good, and also the security options. Although security is really up to you more than the device. The units are not cheap my any means, but you can do the 2 pack or 3 pack. This allows you to put the satellite units around the house which remedies signal strength issues.

All in all, I run a large amount of heavy demand devices and have never had any issue under this configuration.

Side note - don't set up QOS on any device, I see many do it and then wonder why things are slow, the minor league players of the industry can't do what the big guys do.
Old 03-22-2023, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for your help.
I bought a three pod mesh system when I cut the cord and did not need it - will sell it to you for $100 if interested - never been opened!
Old 03-22-2023, 07:24 AM

We got Quantum Fiber installed about 4 months ago with the 200M speed. It costs $30 a month total. The installation was free and they supplied all equipment for free, including 4 mesh wifi boxes. Service has been perfect so far, could not be happier.
Old 03-22-2023, 07:27 AM
Veteran member

For those of you that installed Quantum...

Where did they put the modem? Garage near the low voltage box? In the house?

TIA
Old 03-22-2023, 07:27 AM

I have quantum fiber and no issues. I have the 200mb and its been rock solid up and down 200mb+. I have 4 wifi pods. No wires anywhere in my house...everything (28 devices) is connected via wifi. I use directv streaming and it has been a great steaming service. Cost for quantum is $64/mon($49 + $15). Im also hoping they dont jump the price after 1 year. Directv is around $100/mon for the choice package. Why would you want to get your own router/wifi system? Before I moved here from California I had 4 Asus routers running fresh tomato. I used it as a split system for isolating devices that might have malicious firmware(like my chinese robot vacuum). They are still in a box and I have no plan to use them. That system worked, but took a lot of effort to update when new firmware was released. I suggest you move on with the quantum wifi mesh system and relax on your lanai with a cold one! fyi the quantum system also includes a protection system called Guard. That on top of Avast antivirus seems to snag all the bad stuff. Good luck.

Cheers
Bob
Old 03-22-2023, 08:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I always find it a bit curious when the deals are so fluid. So, you got their mesh router for no additional cost (over the $30 per month)? I had CenturyLink fiber for 9 years and switched over to their rebranded Quantum Fiber service for a pretty good drop in price but they wanted an additional $15 per month for their mesh router. I have my own router and didn't need theirs but I find is very curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerman View Post
We got Quantum Fiber installed about 4 months ago with the 200M speed. It costs $30 a month total. The installation was free and they supplied all equipment for free, including 4 mesh wifi boxes. Service has been perfect so far, could not be happier.
Closed Thread

Tags
modem, fiber, router, quantum, cable

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.