Question about Dabney Area

Old 05-06-2024, 04:40 AM
Default Question about Dabney Area

Good morning,

My wife and I are looking for houses in the Dabney Area. While looking around Google Earth, I noticed what looks like a sewer treatment plant. Is that what that really is? If so, is there a smell in the Dabney Area?
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-06 at 5.34.22 AM.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	103999  
Old 05-06-2024, 06:04 AM

It's the Leesburg wastewater reclamation facility, so yes a sewer treatment plant. I haven't heard of any odor complaints, it's a modern facility but still possible. The noise from the turnpike may be more of a concern depending on lanai orientation and wind direction.
Old 05-06-2024, 07:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,820 Times in 1,274 Posts

The Leesburg treatment facility was upgraded in 2022 and it's in process of being expanded.

Leesburg announces groundbreaking on $39.8 million wastewater project - Leesburg-News.com
Old 05-06-2024, 08:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,477 Times in 2,556 Posts

I live in a rural area in the UK, and a local farmer is clearing out his deep litter pens and yards now his overwintered cattle are out at grass.
A new house owner, probably a 'Townie', and who is near to the farm, was in our village shop complaining about the smell.
The shop manager told him, "If you think this is bad, wait until August, when the contractors start spreading it on fields!"
It's a bit strong, but gone in a few days.
A bit like buying a house next to a rail line and moaning about the noise!
I love it!
Old 05-06-2024, 08:36 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire View Post
It's the Leesburg wastewater reclamation facility, so yes a sewer treatment plant. I haven't heard of any odor complaints, it's a modern facility but still possible. The noise from the turnpike may be more of a concern depending on lanai orientation and wind direction.
I agree. I would be more concerned with the noise from the turnpike. Remember, the turnpike never sleeps.
Old 05-06-2024, 08:45 AM
Gold member

If anything gives you pause about a certain area in these new sections then look into other areas. Your first instinct is usually correct. Don't rush into anything. Because it's a buyers market right now.
Old 05-06-2024, 10:03 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,421 Times in 1,464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottoguy View Post
If anything gives you pause about a certain area in these new sections then look into other areas. Your first instinct is usually correct. Don't rush into anything. Because it's a buyers market right now.
So you're saying wait until it's a sellers market?
Old 05-06-2024, 10:18 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,750 Times in 461 Posts

I’m in Dabney quite a bit, as I have friends who have purchased there. I’ve never noticed any foul smells, nor have I heard of anyone bringing up the subject. As far as Turnpike noise, it’s more Lake Denham that abuts the turnpike, not Dabney. You’ll want to get down there and check out possible turnpike noise multiple times, and a different hours of the day and night. I’ve never heard turnpike noise when visiting Dabney or playing pickleball at. Dabney Rec Center.
Old 05-06-2024, 11:06 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1957TBird View Post
Good morning,

My wife and I are looking for houses in the Dabney Area. While looking around Google Earth, I noticed what looks like a sewer treatment plant. Is that what that really is? If so, is there a smell in the Dabney Area?
There’s no smell.
Old 05-06-2024, 04:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,628 Times in 598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
I agree. I would be more concerned with the noise from the turnpike. Remember, the turnpike never sleeps.
Is that a personal experience with living by the turnpike, or just passing on a rumor. We spent a lot of time in Enclave and it would be the quietest neighborhood I have ever been in since 2007. Early evening it’s so quiet could be a little unnerving in complete darkness
Old 05-06-2024, 06:02 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Is that a personal experience with living by the turnpike, or just passing on a rumor. We spent a lot of time in Enclave and it would be the quietest neighborhood I have ever been in since 2007. Early evening it’s so quiet could be a little unnerving in complete darkness
Dabney is close to us in Lake Denham. I can’t say the noise is the same but the turnpike noise can be very loud depending on weather. When we bought in humid August we didn’t hear it at all. But in cooler clear weather it can be very annoying. We are part time so haven’t yet gotten used to it. But I’m sure eventually it will just fade into the background for us.

Never smelled the treatment plant. Technology is much better these days. Plus the plant is across 470, not super close.
Old 05-06-2024, 06:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,222 Times in 5,422 Posts

Go there at different times of the day to determine if you will be happy there
Old 05-06-2024, 06:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,628 Times in 598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Go there at different times of the day to determine if you will be happy there
It’s not different times of days it’s different weather. Rain, heavy fog, wind, stillness.

We have four streets, if houses, a wall, and private property to the turnpike. In the house, in our lanai, or the pool we rarely hear any road noise

But beep beep from construction on Meggison at Richmond East which is about 2.5 miles away is clear as a bell.

Occasionally heavy fog, rain strong winds creates a hum, in front of house. People who visited have no idea the pike is in the general area.

What amazes them is hearing the train whistle.

Of course up north we live 4 miles from M-59 4-6 lanes and 5 miles from Oakland Airport, busiest commercial airport in Mi. Both have noise factor especially when they do maintenance on the plane engines at 3am. So pike noise not even on radar for any family visits.

My guess is those who live in very rural areas, noise from BV, Morse, or pike would bother them.

But many here come from cities that lights, traffic, airports, trains, and freeway is everyday noise that is Normal
Old 05-06-2024, 09:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,222 Times in 5,422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
It’s not different times of days it’s different weather. Rain, heavy fog, wind, stillness.

We have four streets, if houses, a wall, and private property to the turnpike. In the house, in our lanai, or the pool we rarely hear any road noise

But beep beep from construction on Meggison at Richmond East which is about 2.5 miles away is clear as a bell.

Occasionally heavy fog, rain strong winds creates a hum, in front of house. People who visited have no idea the pike is in the general area.

What amazes them is hearing the train whistle.

Of course up north we live 4 miles from M-59 4-6 lanes and 5 miles from Oakland Airport, busiest commercial airport in Mi. Both have noise factor especially when they do maintenance on the plane engines at 3am. So pike noise not even on radar for any family visits.

My guess is those who live in very rural areas, noise from BV, Morse, or pike would bother them.

But many here come from cities that lights, traffic, airports, trains, and freeway is everyday noise that is Normal
Was thinking mostly of road noise from turnpike. Going numerous times will show how noisy it gets depending upon traffic combined with wind direction
Old 05-07-2024, 04:49 AM
Veteran member

The noise from the turnpike is excessive. This is true of multiple areas south of 44.

Tags
dabney, area, sewer, question, treatment

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.