Question about resolution of home inspections

Closed Thread
Old 08-26-2019, 10:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts
Default My two cents worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
I think the seller has absolutely NO responsibility.

I doubt the contract between the seller and their realtor states that the seller will promise to "fix items identified on inspection".
As I've stated previously, I would spend the few bucks and hire an attorney. I am not an atty and frankly I do not like most attys having dealt with several.

Real estate law, in fact most law is not the same in all states.
Your comment the seller would not promise,"to fix items identified on inspection." Of course you would not or should not sign that as a seller. A buyer with a sharp atty might well try to slip that in on you if you allow the buyer to draft the contract.
Normally the seller takes a significant deposit and allows the buyer a given amount of time to have an inspection done. People tend to forget it is a business transaction. The buyer might be bidding on two or three different homes. They might and can tie up all the properties by a well worded written offer.

As to law, our previous home was in NY. If I recall due to NY law you would sell the home AS IS otherwise the buyer could come after you for years. To do that you needed to leave the buyer $500 to cover possible defects. Everyone sane, sold that way.
Closed Thread

Tags
question, seller, major, inspection, items

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.