Question about Sumter County Tourism Tax

Closed Thread
Old 10-11-2020, 07:54 AM

Finally someone with a brain! The tourist tax is how Florida residents benefit directly from the tourism industry. This is why you do not vote in 3 commissioners that have no idea what they are doing
Old 10-11-2020, 07:55 AM

Connect the dots. The County Tourist Development Tax is used partially to fund the squares. Most have read posts on here questioning the noise if apartments are approved. Eliminate the tax and you have an excuse to stop the entertainment at the squares. Now they become meeting areas for department dwellers, or common courtyard area. Why would an outgoing board want to do this. The developer has only a short time to get all done he wants done. Most likely all part of a bigger plan.
I'm going to make some popcorn now and get ready to read... rofl
Old 10-11-2020, 07:57 AM

I have a beach condo they collect the tax. I charge it to my renters. Cost of doing business. Why should people who come and use our resources pay the same as me. A Florida tax paying citizen
Old 10-11-2020, 07:59 AM

By the way they hold this meeting every year. It is not whether it is collected it is to determine how it is spent.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

The new commissioners coming in had stated that they were in favor of getting rid of this tax , and I think this will just be a start of the cost cutting that we will see . The voters have spoken now will see if you got what you wished for
Old 10-11-2020, 09:54 AM

Villagers who rent their houses out for short time also pay this tax
Old 10-11-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
OK. Thanks. But my question isn't who pays the tax, my question is why would we want to eliminate it? If we repeal the tax, money for entertainment will have to come from somewhere else... or reduce/eliminate entertainment.
In my opinion I don't think we should eliminate the tax. One important item it funds is entertainment at the three Villages squares. On the other hand, if the developer wants to eliminate entertainment at the squares, then they might lobby to remove the tax.
Old 10-11-2020, 10:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
On Oct. 13, the Sumter County Commissioners are holding a public hearing to decide the future of the county tourist tax. I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong) the tourist tax is an "occupancy tax" paid by Sumter hotels. The tax is used to help fund events that bring tourists to the county. Part of the tax helps fund entertainment at Sumter and Brownwood squares.
In the POA bulletin it says that commissioners have indicated they want to eliminate the tax.
What am I missing? Why would "we" want to repeal the tax? It doesn't cost taxpayers anything. That tax helps pay for square entertainment... so to continue to have nightly entertainment the money has to come from somewhere else. Sell tickets? Only have entertainment a few nights a week?
Can someone explain the benefit of repealinig that tax?
There is no benefit to cancelling the tax. This is just the first of many ill-informed moves on the part of the new "anti-developer" commissioners.
Old 10-11-2020, 10:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

“We” don’t want to eliminate the tax. It’s taxes on tourism that keeps both our state income, property and sales taxes low (and I’m not even mentioning estate taxes).

Are any of those taxes more for you here in Florida than where you moved from? Not me, coming from Illinois which has a 4.95% income tax, a 10.25% sales tax (Cook county, Chicago), and the property tax on the house we left, market value about 30% more than our Villages house, was over $15,000.

Eliminate taxes on tourists? Not me!
Old 10-11-2020, 12:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Why should any tax money go to the entertainment at the square? Seems it only benefits a few select residences.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Why should any tax money go to the entertainment at the square? Seems it only benefits a few select residences.
The thinking is that the entertainment in the squares will bring in out-of-area visitors who will need hotel rooms and restaurants.

And it does bring in visitors - most of whom are here on lifestyle visits.

The tourist tax ensures that the visitors help support our government. And it supports other events in addition to entertainment in the squares. It also supports the "rodeo" that the homeowners association puts on in January, and I think a shooting competition.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:08 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
The new commissioners coming in had stated that they were in favor of getting rid of this tax , and I think this will just be a start of the cost cutting that we will see . The voters have spoken now will see if you got what you wished for
One recently elected commissioner did state he wanted to use the square entertainment portion of the tax for other things (he wanted The Developer to pay for entertainment). But I think he got a lot of feedback and reversed his position. I give him credit for that.

Personally, I think it would be "short-sighted" for the new commissioners to repeal the tax. Let's remember... the EMS team ran on a "roll back the 25% tax increase" platform. If they roll back the tax increase and also repeal the County Tourist Development Tax, they have a lot less money to do things that will benefit the residents of Sumter County.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlbonivich View Post
Finally someone with a brain! The tourist tax is how Florida residents benefit directly from the tourism industry. This is why you do not vote in 3 commissioners that have no idea what they are doing
IMO there enough fingers is pot on my tax bill. Any tax repealed in good thing IMO. But, to elected officials it’s blasphemy. And far as the 3 newly elected officials I applaud them, at least they I hope their aren’t yes men yet?
Old 10-11-2020, 09:53 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
IMO there enough fingers is pot on my tax bill. Any tax repealed in good thing IMO. But, to elected officials it’s blasphemy. And far as the 3 newly elected officials I applaud them, at least they I hope their aren’t yes men yet?
The County Tourist Development Tax is paid for by "visitors"... so it doesn't cost you a cent. If you want to repeal a tax on people that visit Sumter County because it has the word "tax" in it... OK.
You might want to do a little research... because this tax actually decreases YOUR tax rate. If "we" suddenly are on the hook to pay for square entertainment... well then your taxes will increase. Or... there will be no square entertainment.
Old 10-12-2020, 01:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
There is no benefit to cancelling the tax. This is just the first of many ill-informed moves on the part of the new "anti-developer" commissioners.
this makes no sense to me. This action is being taken by the commissioners that are in office now, not the ones just elected. You cannot assign blame to people who haven't taken office yet, even if you don't like the fact that they beat the incumbents. If you think this action is ill informed then it is the people in office now who are ill informed, or still doing the bidding of those who supported them while they are lame ducks.

Tags
tax, sumter, county, entertainment, commissioners

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.