Question Bicyclists and Stop Signs

Closed Thread
Old 12-18-2022, 07:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
[COLOR="Red"]

The "IN" gate at Boone does not have a stop sign making that intersection very dangerous. It renders that intersection a three way stop. The gate house sits back from Paradise drive allowing vehicles to get up a little head of speed before entering. The three stopped vehicles assume the entering vehicle is going to stop and BINGO crash. I have witnessed many accidents there over the years. I asked one time about putting a stop sign there and the rationale for not to was it would back up incoming traffic out onto Rt 441.
Yes, it has a stop sign right in front of the guard shack. You have to stop before you pass the gate. Even if the gate is up (due to bathroom break or inclement weather or broken) you are still required to stop before you get to that spot, because of the stop sign outside the shack around 6 feet before the hood of your car gets to the shack door. The stop sign is not at the intersection. It's before the gate.

Once you're past the gate, you don't have to stop. The intersection itself is a 3-way stop, not a 4-way stop. The three stopped vehicles should not assume that the person entering from 441 is going to stop at the intersection, because they ALREADY stopped at the guardhouse - where the stop sign for them is located.
Old 12-19-2022, 07:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
[COLOR="Red"]

The "IN" gate at Boone does not have a stop sign making that intersection very dangerous. It renders that intersection a three way stop. The gate house sits back from Paradise drive allowing vehicles to get up a little head of speed before entering. The three stopped vehicles assume the entering vehicle is going to stop and BINGO crash. I have witnessed many accidents there over the years. I asked one time about putting a stop sign there and the rationale for not to was it would back up incoming traffic out onto Rt 441.
And in conclusion in case anyone missed the point Boone and Paradise is a three way stop. IMHO is one of the most dangerous intersections in The Villages regardless of vehicle type. Where do you think the most dangerous intersection in The Villages is ? Rules - roundabouts excluded !
Old 12-19-2022, 11:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
And in conclusion in case anyone missed the point Boone and Paradise is a three way stop. IMHO is one of the most dangerous intersections in The Villages regardless of vehicle type. Where do you think the most dangerous intersection in The Villages is ? Rules - roundabouts excluded !
I don't see accidents there that often. In fact I've only seen, personally, one involving a golf cart coming down Paradise and a car. The golf cart driver didn't stop at their own stop sign, and rolled through, while the car was coming in from 441 and taking a left onto Paradise.

So - that had nothing to do with how many or few stop signs there were. It had to do with someone choosing not to stop at the stop sign they actually had.

It'd probably be a great idea if they added a sign attached to (but below) the stop signs at Boone: "Warning - traffic incoming from the gate does not stop." I don't think it'd prevent people from choosing not to proceed with caution, but it'd at least provide some culpability to the people who make those choices and get hit as a result.
Closed Thread

Tags
stop, circle, groups, sign, full

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.