question on downspout drains

Closed Thread
Old 08-07-2013, 11:07 AM
Default question on downspout drains

We want to add drains from a couple of our downspouts out to the yard. We've had one landscape person tell us we should use perforated flexible pipes so the water left in the pipe can evaporate. Another said we should use solid pipe to prevent roots from growing into the pipe and clogging it. Anybody have any knowledge of what's best to use?
Old 08-07-2013, 11:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,513 Times in 1,912 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott8147 View Post
We want to add drains from a couple of our downspouts out to the yard. We've had one landscape person tell us we should use perforated flexible pipes so the water left in the pipe can evaporate. Another said we should use solid pipe to prevent roots from growing into the pipe and clogging it. Anybody have any knowledge of what's best to use?

Sweetie just did this for us and he used large black corregated heavy plastic pipe with vented grates at the END on the surface... that are flat to the surface.

He and next door neighbor tackled theirs and ours and got all muddy and sweaty. We are proud of their efforts, but it was a big job for two old-er..um...folks.

They got all of the stuff at Lowes or Home Depot. Usually those people who work there are pretty savvy about stuff like this.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:58 PM

Stipes uses solid corregated piping (no slits in it) ending with a small grate at ground level like Sweety did for Graciegirl! Tip: Add a concrete donut to keep grass from growing into it or covering it up.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:10 AM
Bosoxfan
Question

I'm confused. Why is this necessary.?
Old 08-08-2013, 07:09 AM

For instance, the install of the drain/catch basin in the yard is to divert the water under the sidewalk and out into the yard to eliminate the downspout flowing water directly out onto the driveway. The water here tends to stain the driveway over a period of time. Some folks install them around their yard at every downspout to eliminate the 90 degree gutter extension sticking out away from the house. If you pay to have it done, figure between $125 to $140 for each one.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:51 AM
Veteran member

Without holes to keep roots out is good. Doesn't matter if water remains. It's underground anyway. IMHO Thats how I did mine.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:28 AM

Using pipe without holes made sense to me because of the root issue, but a landscaper told me that the standing water in the pipe could cause a mosquito problem. If the pipe is vented, then the water could evaporate. Both arguments made some sense, but which would be the greater problem? What to do?
Old 08-08-2013, 11:25 AM
Gold member

Getting the water from the down spouts away from the house foundation is a good idea both for termite abatement and to keep your foundation dry and uninviting to insects.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,513 Times in 1,912 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default gutters, downspouts in back...necessary???

I still don't think it was NECESSARY. I don't go for the insects argument at all or termites. I think that is a way some contractors try to sell downspouts.

I do think that when there is a lot of rain, it might be a good idea to try to direct it out and away from the foundation because of sinkholes....but...sand wicks so quickly that the water table would quickly make the water level underground level too.

Remember, I was a kindergarten teacher and for thirty years I watched kids play in the sand table and add water.

And I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express a couple of times.

I still say...it kept the guys busy for a few days and they are happy with the results and I am not an engineer.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I still don't think it was NECESSARY. I don't go for the insects argument at all or termites. I think that is a way some contractors try to sell downspouts. .........
FWIW, here an article with a viewpoint that supports the concept of most termites needing moisture:

http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublicatio...787/eb0787.pdf

From p.1: "Most termites need moist conditions to become established. For subterranean termites, the moisture source usually is the soil."

From p.7: "17. Downspouts should carry water away from building."

Millipedes for example (who seem to absolutely LOVE our place in TV), like moist areas to thrive as well:

Sowbugs, millipedes, and centipedes in the home : Insects : University of Minnesota Extension

Bill
Old 08-08-2013, 04:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott8147 View Post
Using pipe without holes made sense to me because of the root issue, but a landscaper told me that the standing water in the pipe could cause a mosquito problem. If the pipe is vented, then the water could evaporate. Both arguments made some sense, but which would be the greater problem? What to do?
Our drain pipes are under ground except where they empty out in the grass and they are covered with a plastic grate. I don't think you will get much of a bug problen because the opening with standing water is only 4" around and more important the pipe is "flushed" couple of days when it rains. Also a pipe full of water will discourage the local critters from taking up residence in the pipe.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:08 PM
Gold member

Is there a contractor anyone could recommend that could run a drain under the sidewalk to the grassy area?
Old 08-09-2013, 06:38 AM
Sage

Stipes does them
Old 08-09-2013, 06:42 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I still don't think it was NECESSARY. I don't go for the insects argument at all or termites. I think that is a way some contractors try to sell downspouts.

I do think that when there is a lot of rain, it might be a good idea to try to direct it out and away from the foundation because of sinkholes....but...sand wicks so quickly that the water table would quickly make the water level underground level too.

Remember, I was a kindergarten teacher and for thirty years I watched kids play in the sand table and add water.

And I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express a couple of times.

I still say...it kept the guys busy for a few days and they are happy with the results and I am not an engineer.
Love the "Holiday Inn" reference..........witty and funny
Retirement has been a discovery of beauty for me. I never had enough time before to truly appreciate the beauty of my grandchild, my wife, the tree outside my very own front door. And, the beauty of time itself.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
....but...sand wicks so quickly that the water table would quickly make the water level underground level too.
U assume we all have sand.....we do not.

I had Stipes do my gutters (good company) talked about the drains, for now mine R on the surface but at least 2-3 feet of horizontal pipes all headed to the swales.

I guess when I get back I'll see how they did in the summer rains
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.