Question for Fenney-ites. Are you bothered by the quarry?

Old 02-22-2024, 09:52 PM
Default Question for Fenney-ites. Are you bothered by the quarry?

We're looking at a home in the southern area of Fenney and wondering about noise from the quarry (and the prison for that matter). Is it bothersome? Thanks.
Old 02-23-2024, 04:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,438 Times in 2,538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlnc View Post
We're looking at a home in the southern area of Fenney and wondering about noise from the quarry (and the prison for that matter). Is it bothersome? Thanks.
From my observations of threads on TOTV, the posters who do not live there are the most likely to perpetuate the negatives.
Most who live there, and post here, say there is no noise/light from Coleman, and quarry blasting is minimal, and hardly affects their lives at all.
Go down there and talk to the locals.
Most stuff here is anecdotal at best.
Old 02-23-2024, 05:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,579 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
From my observations of threads on TOTV, the posters who do not live there are the most likely to perpetuate the negatives.
Most who live there, and post here, say there is no noise/light from Coleman, and quarry blasting is minimal, and hardly affects their lives at all.
Go down there and talk to the locals.
Most stuff here is anecdotal at best.
Agree, take a chair down to the area and just sit for awhile what is annoying to others may just be a non starter for you.

We went to our build site multiple times and just sat there, no houses yet but the turnpike is roughly 1.3 miles with a 10’ wall then private property and a road. Wind, fog, cold, and rain give you different factors.

Inside our house you hear nothing, yesterday sitting in birdcage next to the pool, it was so quiet dosed off sitting in the sun. Until someone turned up the volume of music everything was perfect. This morning sitting outside I can hear slight humming of tires.

We have a small preserve behind us, that bald eagles, hawks and other prey birds soar over.
And a crow who loves to talk to us, along with small birds chirping away.

What bothers us the most is how many people think their music needs to be at highest volume, because everyone should love their music.

So you need to pick your battles sometimes the quarry, prison, turnpike, back of retail, may be the least of your noise factor.

Hearing loss is a great factor in a retirement community, you might need to get used to surrounding TV and radio noise more than anything.
Old 02-23-2024, 08:30 AM

Been in Fenney 5 years. You can feel and hear (in your house) a blast from the quarry on occasion. Never noticed one when outside. Prison, have never heard a thing, non issue. You don’t even know it is there. Matter of fact, I know people that have lived here for more than a year and never even knew there was a prison even though they drove past it multiple times taking 501 to 470, to Orlando.
Old 02-23-2024, 09:54 AM

Quote:
We have friends who live in Fenney. It's a great place and probably one of the last villages built before the developer decided to pile in as many homes as possible in a Village.

So, one day we were at our friends home and heard the blast from the Quarry. All I can say it's quick but it sounds like someone set off a bomb in front of your home. You home may rattle a bit but if you expect to get rocked once a month or so then you will be OK. Just know when they blast, it's really loud, yes we were in the house with everything closed when it happened. I would say it's on-par with a sonic boom if a jet would fly right over your home.

It may be OK for you but you just know it's going to happen and it's a very significant blast noise.
Old 02-23-2024, 10:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,966 Times in 2,473 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Agree, take a chair down to the area and just sit for awhile what is annoying to others may just be a non starter for you.

We went to our build site multiple times and just sat there, no houses yet but the turnpike is roughly 1.3 miles with a 10’ wall then private property and a road. Wind, fog, cold, and rain give you different factors.

Inside our house you hear nothing, yesterday sitting in birdcage next to the pool, it was so quiet dosed off sitting in the sun. Until someone turned up the volume of music everything was perfect. This morning sitting outside I can hear slight humming of tires.

We have a small preserve behind us, that bald eagles, hawks and other prey birds soar over.
And a crow who loves to talk to us, along with small birds chirping away.

What bothers us the most is how many people think their music needs to be at highest volume, because everyone should love their music.

So you need to pick your battles sometimes the quarry, prison, turnpike, back of retail, may be the least of your noise factor.

Hearing loss is a great factor in a retirement community, you might need to get used to surrounding TV and radio noise more than anything.

“their music needs to be at highest volume”

Cause their deft from listen to loud music…
Old 02-23-2024, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,966 Times in 2,473 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
We have friends who live in Fenney. It's a great place and probably one of the last villages built before the developer decided to pile in as many homes as possible in a Village.

So, one day we were at our friends home and heard the blast from the Quarry. All I can say it's quick but it sounds like someone set off a bomb in front of your home. You home may rattle a bit but if you expect to get rocked once a month or so then you will be OK. Just know when they blast, it's really loud, yes we were in the house with everything closed when it happened. I would say it's on-par with a sonic boom if a jet would fly right over your home.

It may be OK for you but you just know it's going to happen and it's a very significant blast noise.
I went down fenney way looked pretty crowed to me.
Old 02-23-2024, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I went down fenney way looked pretty crowed to me.
Right but go down to Dabney and you will see the "look and feel" is way different than the older villages near 44.
Old 02-23-2024, 10:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,042 Times in 1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post

I guess it depends how close you are. My only experience was when we were on a Lifestyle visit at Brownwood. It shook the house like a very small earth quake. They have schedule for blasting and they let you know in advance. The thing I would want to find out if I lived near the quarry is, over time, does it structurally damage the house and how does it affect insurance (this I would ask from the insurance company itself). If it doesn’t … all is good.
Old 02-23-2024, 10:21 AM

We live in Hammock at Fenney and the only sounds we here are train whistles occasionally. The blasting occurs periodically and you have to reset a few picture frames. As for the prison, you will hear some gun fire from the range but nothing else. No worse than hearing the nail guns from roofers. I actually think the people that live next to pickleball courts have it worse than we do or the people by Sawgrass with all the band music...
Old 02-23-2024, 01:54 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,394 Times in 1,458 Posts

We have lived here since Fenney was opened and here is our observation. The quarry blasts if in your home are very similar to a large truck going over a pothole in front of your house and that's about how long it lasts. We have a stucco over block home and had the exterior painted, at that time I asked them to check very thoroughly for any visible cracks anywhere on the house, there were none. There are many buildings and homes much closer to the quarry than Fenney that have been there for decades and are still standing so we are not concerned about it at all.. As far as the prison I have never heard anything coming from there, that is a non-issue. Fenney has a lot to offer, we are one of the few villages that have 3 different pools, adult, family, and sports pools are all here in Fenney, the rec-center, huge gas fire pit, Bar & Grille, Putt and Play, croquette, a fishing pond, nature trail, walking paths, outdoor gym, indoor gym, lots of natural areas, park-like area with a pavilion, along with all of the typical amenities like Pickle Ball, bocce, corn toss, etc. and most of all it's very peaceful here. We are further east than Hammock of Fenney so we rarely hear a train whistle and never hear one while inside our home.
Old 02-24-2024, 04:31 AM

Been in Fenney for six years. About once a month the quarry blasts and shakes the house, which can be disconcerting but it's not enough to cause damage. No noise or anything else from the prison. In the evening there's a noticeable hum from the quarry drag line but it sounds more like cars on a highway.
Old 02-24-2024, 05:53 AM
Default Quarry - no worries

Quote:
When we 1st moved to Fenney in 2018, and felt our house shake, we were concerned. But, after talking with our realtor & doing some additional research, we have zero concerns. The quarry explosions are scheduled (don't know when) and have been going on for many years. We love living in Fenney and have no plans of moving!
Old 02-24-2024, 06:52 AM

Our friends love Fenney and would never move. However, when the blasting happens, it does terrify their dog.
Old 02-24-2024, 07:15 AM
Veteran member

Yes!

Tags
quarry, question, fenney, bothersome, matter

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.