Question on how to eliminate flood insurance

Old 03-25-2024, 12:21 PM
Default Question on how to eliminate flood insurance

We bought a house in Newell last year and have a mortgage on it. The lender requires flood insurance since the FEMA maps show a portion of the property in the “Zone A” (High Risk) flood plain (it's next to a preserve area). Of course the developer did not build on a flood plain, they filled in and elevated our area above the flood plain/Zone A. But the FEMA maps are the official document that the lender/insurer recognize and it does not reflect the revised topography. We have heard that the FEMA map will be updated eventually, but we don’t know when (online maps suggest the current one is from 2012). Some questions:

1. Is there a way to have FEMA update the map? There is an “Online Letter of Map Change” on the FEMA site, but there is a charge of $325-$425.

2. Is there an alternative way to have this done at no cost?
Old 05-18-2024, 06:00 PM

What did you end up doing
Old 05-18-2024, 06:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,447 Times in 5,522 Posts

Unless someone came up with a better idea I would pay the charge
Old 05-18-2024, 06:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,231 Times in 806 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeaud View Post
We bought a house in Newell last year and have a mortgage on it. The lender requires flood insurance since the FEMA maps show a portion of the property in the “Zone A” (High Risk) flood plain (it's next to a preserve area). Of course the developer did not build on a flood plain, they filled in and elevated our area above the flood plain/Zone A. But the FEMA maps are the official document that the lender/insurer recognize and it does not reflect the revised topography. We have heard that the FEMA map will be updated eventually, but we don’t know when (online maps suggest the current one is from 2012). Some questions:

1. Is there a way to have FEMA update the map? There is an “Online Letter of Map Change” on the FEMA site, but there is a charge of $325-$425.

If there's a way to do it for no cost, I've never heard of it.

I suspect trying to do it yourself will cost you more than $300-$400 before your done.

You could also hire a Land Surveyor or Registered Professional Engineer, who can do it for you, on the spot ... provided you have the proper documentation.

You could have a long wait before the FEMA map is re-drawn and even then, don't count on it being 100% accurate for random properties.

If you used an attorney for closing, you must have been made aware of the fact that you're in a Flood Zone?
Old 05-18-2024, 07:06 PM

You’ll be glad if you ever have any water that gets inside your house.
Old 05-18-2024, 07:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,457 Times in 2,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
If there's a way to do it for no cost, I've never heard of it.

I suspect trying to do it yourself will cost you more than $300-$400 before your done.

You could also hire a Land Surveyor or Registered Professional Engineer, who can do it for you, on the spot ... provided you have the proper documentation.

You could have a long wait before the FEMA map is re-drawn and even then, don't count on it being 100% accurate for random properties.

If you used an attorney for closing, you must have been made aware of the fact that you're in a Flood Zone?
That may have been a flood zone prior to the regrading for development. I think the OP has a valid point, when these areas are developed, the flood plain should be resurveyed. If there is any documentation from 2015 when IRMA came through you might be able to use that if this area was not flooded.
Old 05-18-2024, 07:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
That may have been a flood zone prior to the regrading for development. I think the OP has a valid point, when these areas are developed, the flood plain should be resurveyed. If there is any documentation from 2015 when IRMA came through you might be able to use that if this area was not flooded.

If I'm not mistaken, when the development of that area was done, the design engineer could have had the designation changed fairly easily, by submitting the proper documentation. Which makes me wonder if there's not more to the story.
Old 05-19-2024, 03:27 AM

Quote:

Our house is also in a flood plain and we pay yearly Flood Insurance. I also looked into this 2 years ago. From what I found the developer does submit 'change of elevation' to FEMA, but that is not enough for FEMA to change the map. It could be 10 yrs or more before FEMA revises the map. My conclusion after spending hours doing research is that this is another governmental 'Rip Off' that leaves the consumer holding the bag with no reasonable recourse. Our flood insurance is $700 / year.
Old 05-19-2024, 03:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, when the development of that area was done, the design engineer could have had the designation changed fairly easily, by submitting the proper documentation. Which makes me wonder if there's not more to the story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonOfInterest View Post
Our house is also in a flood plain and we pay yearly Flood Insurance. I also looked into this 2 years ago. From what I found the developer does submit 'change of elevation' to FEMA, but that is not enough for FEMA to change the map. It could be 10 yrs or more before FEMA revises the map. My conclusion after spending hours doing research is that this is another governmental 'Rip Off' that leaves the consumer holding the bag with no reasonable recourse. Our flood insurance is $700 / year.
If the Developer went through the process (which is not overly onerous, there should be a letter. See attached
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-19 at 4.44.05 AM.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	104170  
Old 05-19-2024, 04:23 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,385 Times in 634 Posts

Quote:
If the Developer went through the process (which is not overly onerous, there should be a letter. See attached
Nothing is attached. Can other people see the attachment?
Old 05-19-2024, 06:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
Nothing is attached. Can other people see the attachment?
I can't even see it and I posted it. I'll try it again.

[FEMA doesn't necessarily "change the map", but will issue the letter.]
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	FLOOD.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	104176  
Old 05-19-2024, 06:29 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,952 Times in 3,733 Posts

Quote:

Make sure you understand coverage before eliminating.
Old 05-19-2024, 06:59 AM
Veteran member

I have the same situation in lake Denham. We were told the map updates would take only a couple of months. Of course it’s been 8 months and no change yet.

Who is ever using for insurance/flood insurance ? We went with Kin. The Villages insurance wanted like $2000 extra for flood. Kin was only $300 extra. Same coverage. But I’ve heard bad things about Kin if anything happens and that our premium will skyrocket after the first year.
Old 05-19-2024, 09:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,167 Times in 836 Posts

If you think about it, isn't the whole state of Florida a flood plane??
We have to be at sea level or slightly above.
Old 05-19-2024, 09:38 AM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

It all depends on your elevation or height above flood level

Tags
flood, fema, map, maps, plain

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.