Question on manufactured homes

Closed Thread
Old 09-29-2011, 11:43 AM
Default Question on manufactured homes

I'm just starting to consider The Villages and I've been looking at the pre-owned homes on line. Right now I'm thinking that I'll only be able to afford a manufactured home. Many of them look very nice and they seem to be in the older part of The Villages. Please don't take this wrong, but I'm wondering if there is an stigma associated with living in a manufactured home in the Villages? I think I'd be perfectly content in a manufactured home & that's the only way that I might be able to swing it financially.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:47 PM
Default manufactured homes

I have owned modular and I now own a patio villa. There are two things to consider if you are looking at an older modular you may not qualify for a conventional bank loan due to age. The otheer differance is a site built may have a better anchor for storms due to better building code. Newer modular is on par in my opinon with patio villas.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvp7527 View Post
Please don't take this wrong, but I'm wondering if there is an stigma associated with living in a manufactured home in the Villages?
No - without question - no.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:41 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

bvp7527 - there will only be a stigma if you let there be. and while champion6 is quick to say 'no', i will admit that i have met folks who do not live in the villages who liken our homes to living in a trailer park! they should only know!!!! the villages is a community of over 100,000 people - there are likely those who would tell you that they would NEVER live within the historic villages; so be it! i say thank goodness! you will also some day probably meet a villager who is not as happy as most residents - it's human nature. i'd say it boils down to who YOU are and what sort of things/attitudes you let get under your skin.

we live in the historic village of silver lake and enjoy a great rec center, a bricks/mortar post office just outside the gate, a beautiful country club two great adult pools, mature landscaping and houses that do not look like each other. we also enjoy a limited amount of traffic within our villages - unlike that which is encountered on the other side of 27/441! and when using the golf cart to get to the other side, we get to use the golf cart bridge - which is like going on a ride at disney world! our streets are pretty much flat in silver lake which makes walking and bike riding much easier [country club hills is a bigger challenge!].

when buying a manufactured home you must have a home inspection to guard against things like an aging roof and heat/ac system; and you want to make sure that the house's tie downs are up to the new codes and that the floors are solid. most anything else is cosmetic.

and just imagine - by buying where you can afford, you will not be house poor! best of all - you, too, will be a villager!!!!!

Old 09-29-2011, 06:15 PM
Default Love it here

We bought last year in Country Club Hills. We love our home with its golf course view, and our beautiful big trees. Being from South Florida, I never tire of the pretty rolling hills. Being so close to shopping is a big plus. We looked on both sides, but the historic section seemed so homey and the houses so individual that we are sure we made the right choice.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:50 PM
Sage

Are the manufactured homes more difficult and/or more expensive to insure versus a stick built or block home?

Bill
Old 09-29-2011, 07:51 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

i never had to insure one of the stick/block homes so i don't know about any comparison. i do know that when we went to insure our manufactured home we were in and out of the office with our retainer in less than an hour - fully insured - and the full policy was later mailed to us....and our unit was manufactured in 1978!!! the service and price was so good that we went back there and had them write the policy for our golf cart!

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.