Question for newbies - heat

Closed Thread
Old 05-11-2023, 12:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts
Default Question for newbies - heat

Well you are just beginning to experience summer heat here in TV the last few days. The temp being around mid 90's is about summer average however the humidity is still well below average for July and August. What is your first impression ?
Old 05-11-2023, 12:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

We usually beat feet end of May to our lake house. But with the new build we will be staying longer. Went to Disney yesterday, left the park at 1pm cooled off at the pool until 5, then returned to park.

Until outer pool is built here we travel over to the CC pools and cool off. I am either walking biking or swimming 2 miles by 7am. Once it gets too hot I find indoor somewhere to enjoy.

So far not a fan of the early heat.
Old 05-11-2023, 01:01 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,782 Times in 3,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
We usually beat feet end of May to our lake house.
Your poor feet.

Old 05-11-2023, 01:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Your poor feet.

Yep but when our feet hit the water, not a gator in sight
Old 05-11-2023, 01:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Mid-winter up north we all used the term "cabin fever" because of the harsh cold and snow
people wouldn't leave the house for days.

Before moving the Florida, I never thought it's the same way here with the heat and humidity in mid-summer.
Old 05-11-2023, 01:37 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,641 Times in 445 Posts

So far I’m digging it - playing golf or pickleball early in morning / shifted to indoor activities in the afternoons where AC keeps me very comfortable — back outside after about 6 or 630 for time on squares / walks/ golf cart rides / going to friends’ houses to socialize - May is a great month!

I enjoy getting up early, having my morning coffee outdoors and it being warm already. Great being in shorts and flip flops 24/7. (Or appropriate footwear if playing sports).

Good question though - you should ask again periodically through the summer for us newbies.
Old 05-11-2023, 01:53 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,195 Times in 761 Posts

For most of us that live here all year it's not a factor, it's just as hot and humid as some northern states , but our summer lasts longer.
Old 05-11-2023, 05:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,526 Times in 3,111 Posts

I'll never understand why people will come here for the sunshine, and then spend most of their daylight hours in AC for 6 months out of the year. For me, the only reason to live in Florida is - hubby said he'd miss me if I didn't go with him.
Old 05-12-2023, 04:31 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael 61 View Post
so far i’m digging it - playing golf or pickleball early in morning / shifted to indoor activities in the afternoons where ac keeps me very comfortable — back outside after about 6 or 630 for time on squares / walks/ golf cart rides / going to friends’ houses to socialize - may is a great month!

I enjoy getting up early, having my morning coffee outdoors and it being warm already. Great being in shorts and flip flops 24/7. (or appropriate footwear if playing sports).

Good question though - you should ask again periodically through the summer for us newbies.
you've got it pegged
Old 05-12-2023, 04:43 AM

We have lived in Florida since 2000. We have noticed that every summer gets a little warmer. Just get out early and find indoor activities for afternoon. It also seems like the heat will never end.
Old 05-12-2023, 04:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

The heat is a coming. Can you say inferno? We hove it. You will learn that you must manage your activities to match the heat. No buyers remorse here. The hot days now are chicken feed compared to what’s coming!!!!

The other advice I can offer is to drink as much water as you can handle. You’ll be fine.
Old 05-12-2023, 05:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

It’s hot and a little humid. But the good part is that unlike up north when it’s bitter cold and snowy, if you have to go outside you only have to wear shorts, a t-shirt and flip flops.

You’ll get used to it. Play golf or pickleball early in the morning and stay indoors in air-conditioning during the heat of the day. Just the reverse of up north, but without the parka, scarf, knit hat and heavy boots.
Old 05-12-2023, 05:51 AM

My first summer here last year was not bad. I moved from Vegas and learned how to beat the summer heat there. Shop, walk around, work out... do stuff early. Work from home later in AC. Do other things in evening. The nice thing is when stepping outside or driving with window down unlike Vegas the air is not hot and there may be a nice breeze. Vegas nights the air was also hot in summer. It rained on several afternoons here last year which was nice.
Old 05-12-2023, 06:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Well you are just beginning to experience summer heat here in TV the last few days. The temp being around mid 90's is about summer average however the humidity is still well below average for July and August. What is your first impression ?
Maybe I'm the odd guy out here, but I LOVE the summers here. It is like the winters UpNort: you can either curl up in a ball under your electric blanket and wait for April, or you can embrace it and enjoy what it has to offer.

TV summers offer a lot. I do a lot of walking and have found that walking paths in the afternoons are pretty much devoid of walkers. My six-mile route has a Publix at the three mile turnaround point, so a good drink of water before I leave and an ice-cold 20 oz. bottle of unsweetened tea at Publix frees me from having to carry water. Also love the fact that you can walk on virtually every executive course after, say, 1:00 PM and get a tee time. Fewer snowbirds means fewer carts and restaurants where you don't have to wait for 1/2 hour for a burger. All in all, what's not to like?

I'm from Minnesota. I have 70 years of living in a deep freeze to make up for. This is HEAVEN!
Old 05-12-2023, 07:00 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I'll never understand why people will come here for the sunshine, and then spend most of their daylight hours in AC for 6 months out of the year. For me, the only reason to live in Florida is - hubby said he'd miss me if I didn't go with him.
For me, it’s AC (and a couple weeks of heat) 24/7 12 months a year here in The Villages. Being in AC here is a lot like being in AC in Pennsylvania. I’m seldom outside in the summer either place, so I sold my northern home, and now I’m here until I croak. I love it here and survive the weather all year long just fine, but I didn’t come here for outdoor activities. I came here to play music in the many jams here, and those are in the Rec centers. I’m having the time of my life.
Closed Thread

Tags
summer, heat, average, question, humidity

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.