Question for newbies - heat

Closed Thread
Old 05-12-2023, 07:29 AM

Three months here of high heat and humidity is a small price to pay for the rest of the year. It's less crowded here over the summer. It's hot and humid a lot of other places over the summer. It just never gets so cold you have bundle up, shovel snow, or slip and fall on ice. Get a neck fan or a cooling towel, get a good sun hat, and hydrate. I see really old people on the golf courses in the middle of the day in the middle of the summer. Give a chance for your blood to thin out.
Old 05-12-2023, 07:32 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Pickleball and golf, morning, noon and night, with a sprinkling of square music some nights.
Old 05-12-2023, 07:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Same here in Texas, but we’ll see temperatures at 105 to 110. Texan’s always ask me , “How could you stand Florida temperatures “ . If I never lived in Florida I would have to ask now, how could you stand the temperatures of 120 in Florida. Believe me it gets hotter in Texas than Florida. I’ll take Florida anytime!
Old 05-12-2023, 07:38 AM
Location: NY, North Carolina, Georgia, Hawaii, Massachusetts, South Carolina, Oklahoma, Village of Bradford

You will get acclimated to the heat if you spend time outdoors. The heat is just something to live with. We have lived in the Southeast the majority of our lives. We bike and golf in 100+ degree days. One advantage is, there is not much competition for Tee Times when it's Hot!
Old 05-12-2023, 07:39 AM
Default Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I'll never understand why people will come here for the sunshine, and then spend most of their daylight hours in AC for 6 months out of the year. For me, the only reason to live in Florida is - hubby said he'd miss me if I didn't go with him.
We love golfing in the afternoons in the summer! Rates go down, and we are usually able to play quickly with no waiting! Drink water, jump in pool afterwards!
Old 05-12-2023, 07:40 AM

We used to do jigsaw puzzles during the cold months in Michigan. Now we do them during the summer days here. The mornings and evenings are still nice. A wonderful place to live.
Old 05-12-2023, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Well you are just beginning to experience summer heat here in TV the last few days. The temp being around mid 90's is about summer average however the humidity is still well below average for July and August. What is your first impression ?
I have been in Florida for about 50 years. The hotter the better for me!
Old 05-12-2023, 07:43 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
So far I’m digging it - playing golf or pickleball early in morning / shifted to indoor activities in the afternoons where AC keeps me very comfortable — back outside after about 6 or 630 for time on squares / walks/ golf cart rides / going to friends’ houses to socialize - May is a great month!

I enjoy getting up early, having my morning coffee outdoors and it being warm already. Great being in shorts and flip flops 24/7. (Or appropriate footwear if playing sports).

Good question though - you should ask again periodically through the summer for us newbies.
This^^

You adjust to outside activities in the morning and it's a small price to pay for the great of the year weather.

Arizona has it 100% worst. Dry heat like an oven.
Old 05-12-2023, 07:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Well you are just beginning to experience summer heat here in TV the last few days. The temp being around mid 90's is about summer average however the humidity is still well below average for July and August. What is your first impression ?
Actually my question was for newbies and their first experience with the summer heat.
It was not how to cope.

Your first impression - is it what you expected ?
Old 05-12-2023, 08:21 AM
Default Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldturecek View Post
We have lived in Florida since 2000. We have noticed that every summer gets a little warmer. Just get out early and find indoor activities for afternoon. It also seems like the heat will never end.
In Connecticut, it seemed like winter would never end from November to April. Moved here to get away from stuck inside for 6 months. Summer here is awesome and winter even more so. ENJOY!!!
Old 05-12-2023, 09:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Growing up and living in DC most of my life was pretty much like living in FL.

Hot and humid in the summer, with afternoon thunderstorms. But DC had less of a breeze.

The two summers I've spent time in TV have been hot, but no worse than home.

I play golf early, try to drink plenty of water, run errands during the day and venture out again in the evenings...

I did have one episode of dizziness when I got a bit dehydrated, taking a trip to Mt Dora. Getting out of the car, I had to hold on. Luckily there was a bench right there and my wife went into a store and got me a bottle of water. 10 minutes later, I was good to go...

Just play whatever sports you enjoy early (or in the evenings) and be sure to drink PLENTY of water ALL DAY LONG!

-Tom Petty
Old 05-12-2023, 09:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

I remember July when we first moved down here I was sitting in my garage doing simple maintenace on my cycle, sweat running down my back between my @ss cheeks.

I wear glasses, then my sweat dipped down my forehead, through my eyelids and on my glass lens.

I thought, Mike, what the hell did you do coming down here.

We been here now going on 8 years and wouldn't live anywhere else.
Old 05-12-2023, 09:37 AM

Lived in LA area for 40 over years and last 10 years in Nevada. Only here for 5 months and loving the weather. Just spent a weekend in Houston. The humidity there is way worse than here. So far.
Old 05-12-2023, 09:44 AM

Love the summer and love TV! Not any more humid than Long Island in the summer. Plus my wife tells me the humidity is soooo good for your skin. Perfect!
Old 05-12-2023, 10:37 AM
Default August is the only Month that will you really get used to

Have lived here 45 years and am retired from Tampa Electric Company. August is the only month you don't get comfortable with. It is so humid at times you get drenched just walking out of the house. It never gets to 100 degrees for a good reason, humidity is around 100 percent which makes it nearly impossible for the temperature to get above 99. It wouldn't trade living here for anywhere else and can't understand why people go north for the summer. Seems to me it gets just as hot or hotter up there. But don't stop going, makes it even better here when all snowbirds are gone.
Closed Thread

Tags
summer, heat, average, question, humidity

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.