Question for Parents and Grandparents Living in TV

Closed Thread
Old 04-28-2022, 01:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
yes, Covid was the gamechanger in visits from family. everyone from 'home' were under extreme lockdown & couldn't leave the state, much less come here. plans were cancelled & trips postponed. we saw a daughter & grandkids for the 1st time in 2years only last month. it was during that time i missed them the most
Covid not finished with us. Oldest grandkids with parents supposed to come two weeks ago and covid decided to change the plan when SIL and 8 year old came down positive.

Thankfully vaccinated and boosted and mild cases for both.
Old 04-28-2022, 08:51 PM
Send a message via AIM to joelfmi
Default situation occurs to a lot of us that live far and close to loved ones,

[QUOTE=Michael G.;2089447]My wife and I have one adopted son with our daughter-in-law living close by here in Florida. Our son and wife treat my wife and I wonderful in so many ways to mention.
The four of us travel a lot, play cards, and spent a lot of time together.

Wife and I where never blessed with grandchildren and wondered about people here in Florida that just pulled up stakes and left their sons, daughters and young grandchildren some were miles out of state.

Do you feel a void part of your life by missing them dearly and being part of their lives?
Do you wish you lived closer to enjoy them besides a occasional phone call or visit? A lot of loved ones abandon family whether they live far or close because they are engrossed in personal problems and and make excuses not to see their grandparents. Or if they do they want to be compensated to do so, so sad that we are in different time generation were money plays a great apart in family life. A lot of obvious negative thing have happened that have made this happen within in the last 5 years. all around us
Old 04-29-2022, 07:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Well we’re in a situation like you. We are originally from Ohio & live in Texas now. Our daughter & her married family live in Texas too. Our son & his family are still in Ohio. We had a realtor look for a house for us in Ohio (Lima, Oh. area) for 3 yrs. never got a call about any house, so our daughter wanted us to live close to her, so we live there now. It’s a little better now because we only have to go see our son & his married daughter, & his son. But now our situation is gas prices & prices of everything else that Putin started, LOL. We love both our children very much, I’m sure our son & his family feel cheated & might think we love our daughter more. Don’t know what to tell you other than go & see them as much as you can & vise versa!
Old 04-29-2022, 10:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Our kids were living LIFE and had to make time for us before we moved here. They lived a distance away and we had to share them with their inlaws for some of the holidays. For instance---this T.G. and Christmas they go to the other side----then "maybe" the next year it would be our turn. They work during the week so---well you can figure that out. We have two grown grandchildren, no littles---they were teens when we moved here so had grown into jobs, friends, activities that took up their time. When we'd visit they "might" breeze in between events to greet us then would be on their way. We figured we can visit when the weather turns nice up there (NOT going in winter). Covid hit and there was A LOT of rules. We had no trouble coming down here so are thankful we made the decision. IF our kids decided on a "LIFE-change" as we have---they'd go ahead and do it without wondering about "what will mom and dad think?"
I also will add that at one time, our two lived on opposite coasts (we were in the middle). THEN we both had jobs so planning visits took strategy. Mostly they came to visit us. NOW age and health make it difficult for us to travel. You'd think the family would come and visit us---not so much these last couple of years. One has a spouse with extreme health issues (think: life-threatening) so can't get away. The other---well my guess is as good as any other. Thoughts have been a spouse who doesn't like to travel. When we've made the effort in the past it wasn't fun when we had to work around "their" schedules (work etc.) Kind of expensive to fly up for a long weekend PLUS they live hours apart so LOTS of driving on our part. If you're healthy---go for it and do what you have to do. To be snarky isn't helpful or uplifting for anyone. Thank you to the person who appreciated my original post. I tried to make it clear of what our situation is.
Old 04-30-2022, 06:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
Such a thoughtful question from a well adjusted family person, yet "grumpy old..." have to make snarky unnecessary comments. I just want to remind people that you can "IGNORE" people who typically leave rude comments, by going to "USER SETTINGS" at top of page (write out the person's name before so you'll remember, or copy and paste). On the left of the page there is a SETTINGS & OPTIONS paragraph, click on Edit Ignore List. Type in the person you want to Ignore, press OKAY and Poof, no more unnecessary grump on your feed. Very useful tool for those of us who try to avoid debbie downers. Have a great day everybody!
Bingo.

There are those who aren't happy until they make everyone around them as miserable as they are.
Old 07-14-2022, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaNi4os View Post
It sounds like you have the best of both worlds. As I began plans to leave NJ and begin my life here I thought about it a lot. I raised 4 kids on my own after being widowed early, so perhaps it was time for me? I would be leaving them and my 8 grandkids behind. Although, my oldest daughter had moved to TX with her 2 kids a few years before. It occurred to me that any of my kids might be required to move out of state for the same reason. Despite being within 15 minutes of my other 3 kids and 6 grands, I didn’t see them often except for one of them. Sure we had holidays together and then there was the babysitting duties that I cherished….well, maybe not always. Add on top of this the fact that living in NJ is extremely costly, I made the decision to move. My daughter asked me why I wanted to leave and I responded that I felt like I was sitting around waiting to die. Her response was “then I want you to go”. Since moving here my TX daughter has moved to Orlando and my son bought a home in Naples. Do I wish we were all together, yes I do. But that is life in the 21st century. We are a mobile society and have the ability to FaceTime anytime we want and I cherish the moments when my phone rings and my 11 year old grandson’s face appears and he talks for half an hour. I also cherish the visits to NJ and theirs to FL. That’s my sincere answer to your question.
I love your explanation. I feel also suddenly that I am just waiting around to die and not living life to it's full potential. I have been researching TV quite a bit and I really feel it is for me. Though I would need to convince my husband, but I think he would feel the same once we visit. Anyway, thank you for your post.
Old 07-18-2022, 12:39 PM

Grandkids care about Grandparents until they're about 7.Then it's "what did you bring me" Kids are kids. They like to be with other kids. It totally blows my mind that people move back ( to a cold climate) to be with a 4 year old grandkid. They change their entire lives around a kid who , at that time, loves Grandma and Grandpa. Give it another 3 years or so and you are not really that important to them. Live YOUR life. You worked hard for it. Don't live for your kids or grandkids. ENJOY YOUR LIFE.
Old 07-18-2022, 03:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veiragirl View Post
Grandkids care about Grandparents until they're about 7.Then it's "what did you bring me" Kids are kids. They like to be with other kids. It totally blows my mind that people move back ( to a cold climate) to be with a 4 year old grandkid. They change their entire lives around a kid who , at that time, loves Grandma and Grandpa. Give it another 3 years or so and you are not really that important to them. Live YOUR life. You worked hard for it. Don't live for your kids or grandkids. ENJOY YOUR LIFE.
Well our oldest grandchild is now 11 and we are still a major part of his life even though he is over 800 miles away.

He has his own social life now but does spend quite a bit of time with us when we visit

Would not move their to be with them but sure wish we could see them more.
Old 07-18-2022, 08:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Thank you for all that replied to my post.
I hope your families reunite once the covid ends
Closed Thread

Tags
wife, grandchildren, part, lot, florida

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.