Question for pool owners over two years

Closed Thread
Old 12-25-2013, 02:37 PM
Sage

Yes, and pavers have great footing......a great look
Old 12-25-2013, 02:42 PM

I have a pool now but would not have one in our future move to TV. Definitely not in TV where you have access to many pools and no up keep. You are paying for the pools in TV whether you use them or not. Just my personal experience and OP.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:31 PM
Gold member

The pavers are on top of the cool deck. They ground down the cool deck edging so that the coping could be glued.
It looks great and the brick covers the existing ugly drains. Water flows through the bricks and still goes out the drains.

I got the water up to 81 with solar (solar blanket is in the attic) on 12/23 and swam laps. I use the pool more than my wife and as much as I can.

It's been 18 months and is not only functional but pleasing to look at.

I will also say that 6 neighbors have added pools afterwards and others will be soon.

Better to do during the build; less hassle.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:57 PM
Gold member

I had pools for over 25 years , don't have one now and I don't miss maintaining it.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:18 AM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009

One major factor in this snowbird couples' decision to sell our Sarasota home after 9 years was the pool.

Weeks of work cleaning the white bird cage and off white pool and lanai deck and the cost to run, repair and keep pool clean while up north, was not trivial.

The fun of having a pool (and it was fun) was well over-shadowed by this cost and effort. (and it was costly and expensive)

Never again!
Old 12-26-2013, 08:49 AM

We are in The Villages 2 1/2 years now and we have owned pools before moving here. We had a pool put in during our build here and we use it all the time. As far as maintenance, the only maintenance we have is to write out a check to T&D, sure wish they would switch over to auto pay. Love the fact we can swim in our pool whenever we want to and we don't have to pack up towels, sunscreen, hats, Kindles, drinks, snacks and so on. We also don't have to sit by a pool and listen to endless conversations by people on their cell phones. If you can afford it, go for it.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:00 AM

First, I've owned a pool for the last 25 years. And as such, the comments about maintaining a pool are greatly exaggerated on this thread. A robotic cleaner like the Dolphin eliminates the need to brush the walls and stairs. A salt generator eliminates the need to add and balance chemicals. I test the water about once a month and aside from adding a little salt and cyanuric acid pellets now and then, my pool maintains itself. And that includes the spa as well.

Pavers around the pool are ideal and do have footings for support. Handheld sprayers with bug killer, vegetation killer, and 10% bleach/water will kill the bugs, the weeds, and any mold you may encounter. The screened lanai keeps bugs and debris out of the pool at all times. I never skim. No need. I never use the vacuum. And my skimmer basket is empty every time I check.

And finally, I installed two additional items that have made my current pool a dream pool. I have a Helicol Solar System that heats my pool and spa all year round. If I switch to spa in the dead of January, the solar system can easily achieve the upper 90’s as long as the sun is shining. And my second addition is a Hayward Ecostar Variable Speed Pump. The pump is quiet. The pump is completely controllable. But the best part of the Ecostar is that my electric bill is down at least $60 a month since installation. So in response to the initial question: Yes, I would not live in Florida without a pool. No public pool can compare to the comfort, privacy, and availability of my own screened, solar heated oasis in the Florida sunshine.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:21 AM
Veteran member

If you put in a pool dont go with the salt pool over rated. Put auto chlorine tablet feeder. Once you have the adjustment set and set the timer for the pump you have virtually nothing to do. If the pool is caged and you keep it covered when not in use you will have no worries. Buy your chlorine tablets from intheswim.com as they are less expensive than local and they will be delivered to your door. Maintaining a pool is not rocket science you can learn about it on line. What you should ask is should I heat with gas electric or solar or not at all.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Yes we would do it again........still using every day after 8 years.

btk
You said you are using your pool everyday. Even in this cool weather? What type of heating do you have for your pool and what temp are you maintaining. We have solar heating and the temp of water is 75 or less.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:21 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,322 Times in 548 Posts

If I lived in TV full-time, I would think about a pool again. But then I seriously thought and looked at Motohomes a few years ago and never did buy one. Obviously, it's a matter of personal choice. I can tell you----the adult pools are really very convenient. I can also tell you, there are a number of people that I talk with that put in a pool in TV but wish they had not because they found that they did not use it enough to justify the expense. They were very honest about it.

It's sort of like a Motohome or a boat----you either love them or learn to dislike them (after a while) and want to rid yourself of the "bother". Seems to me with a maintained pool close by---one might not want the "bother". But then maybe you do.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Love the pool

2 1/2 years ago we moved here full time and the first thing we did was put in a pool.....We love it and are in it almost everyday......Solar panels , robot pool cleaner, and an ozonator make the maint. simple...I've strung LED lights around the bird cage and the neighbors won't leave....

However I may have made it to large, But we still like to waterski....

The Great (Lloyd Bridges ) Fumar
Old 12-26-2013, 04:08 PM
Gold member

How did you string up the LED lights. I haven't figured out a way.
You water ski in your pool too. Try adding a jump.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLL39 View Post
[B][/B No. We are 3 tenths of a mile from the Collier NP. No chemicals, no weekly brushing the walls, cleaning the filter, removing the scale, etc. Towel off, wave good bye, cya tomorrow.

The NP's do require a bathing suit though. LOL......I agree with you. We owned a pool in S. Fla and really enjoyed it when we were in our 40's but don't want any part of one now.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.