Question re TV house construction

Closed Thread
Old 03-19-2023, 03:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvflguy View Post
I’m the OP. And glad that we’re very pleased with our block Designer built in 2013. Made a few moderate changes, we were able to back then - not a Spec house. Was great to have the flexibility to customize. Moving windows, moving the front door wall out to increase foyer size, and expand the home out further.

Seems that most are cookie-cutter now. Expediting and simplifying build but…,

Personally I like the expanded paint gallery colors, but driving “down there” shows smaller lots, shorter driveways, and similar house styling.
Our new lot in Richmond is the same SF as our home in what was the middle of TV yes we have 7’ shorter driveway, but 20’ deeper lot at back of new house, compared to the old property.Rather have less front yard, and short driveway that the new house has.
Old 03-19-2023, 03:45 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,200 Times in 327 Posts

That’s great, glad you’re pleased. I guess what I’m saying is that even with a larger lot (that costs more $$$) a buyer cannot extend the home out???? Perhaps with a block home but not the tilt wall????
Old 03-19-2023, 07:38 PM

Quote:
We golfed at Mickylee yesterday. While waiting for tee off, I was checking out the nearby new house construction.

Many of them were using precast concrete panels for walls. Being craned into place. So interesting.

Few questions….
The windows seemed to be in place/installed already. Must be very efficient and better quality done in the factory rather than on site.

Seems that some houses still were built by block. I assume some models aren’t in the mix for factory built walls.

Does this type of construction allow for modifications by the lot owner? ie moving/changing windows, door, etc location….

Our Designer home, we built in 2013- we were able to move, enlarge etc. nice feature. Overall I love the prebuilt concrete walls. Seems to be great cost savings plus quality.
As an architect I bought a block house. Termites and mold don’t cut it with me. Moving a window or two is complex and expensive and very messy too. We bought our house as is, except for cosmetics and are very happy after cleaning the duct work and installing an electric air cleaner and hi-tech water treatment system. We love everything here, the people, and landscaping are well beyond belief. Not to bore you but we had just returned from SanAntonio to find a retirement home and my wife left the next day for golf with the girls to FL. Neither of us would ever live in FL. She called the next afternoon to tell me that we were going to search for a retirement house in “The Bubble.” I had no idea but we now live in Chatham and love it! No houses look the same and 95% of our neighbors are great friends. The other 5% shouldn’t live here anyway. Daniel Mossien
Old 03-20-2023, 11:05 AM

Quote:
We golfed at Mickylee yesterday. While waiting for tee off, I was checking out the nearby new house construction.

Many of them were using precast concrete panels for walls. Being craned into place. So interesting.

Few questions….
The windows seemed to be in place/installed already. Must be very efficient and better quality done in the factory rather than on site.

Seems that some houses still were built by block. I assume some models aren’t in the mix for factory built walls.

Does this type of construction allow for modifications by the lot owner? ie moving/changing windows, door, etc location….

Our Designer home, we built in 2013- we were able to move, enlarge etc. nice feature. Overall I love the prebuilt concrete walls. Seems to be great cost savings plus quality.

In South Florida where we are from a precast concrete home was the most superb to withstanding hurricanes.
Old 03-21-2023, 11:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default expanded foyer

Quote:
I’m the OP. And glad that we’re very pleased with our block Designer built in 2013. Made a few moderate changes, we were able to back then - not a Spec house. Was great to have the flexibility to customize. Moving windows, moving the front door wall out to increase foyer size, and expand the home out further.

Seems that most are cookie-cutter now. Expediting and simplifying build but…,

Personally I like the expanded paint gallery colors, but driving “down there” shows smaller lots, shorter driveways, and similar house styling.
Do you spend a lot of time in your foyer? Never dawned on me we needed a bigger foyer.
Old 03-25-2023, 07:39 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,200 Times in 327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
Do you spend a lot of time in your foyer? Never dawned on me we needed a bigger foyer.
No but it certainly makes the interior seem larger up front. The outside entryway is plenty big too - just wanted more room inside and it was simple for the builder when we designed it.
Closed Thread

Tags
construction, walls, built, concrete, windows

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.