Questions

Closed Thread
Old 04-24-2012, 08:17 PM
Platinum member
Default Questions

I've been researching old posts regarding shopping and the newest home areas. It appears that there isn't much shopping near St. James...or am I missing it? I'm concerned because I am directionally challenged. Does anyone have info on shopping in the new areas?

Another concern of mine. I want to make friends. I've seen where folks have said that there are more vacancies in the patio villas during the summer months ( I'll be year round ). Would a CYV be a better choice for me? I also have a dog..so I know the CYV's would work better for her. I may end up purchasing sight unseen. ( I've stayed in TV many times for extended periods). Any info will be appreciated....thanks.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:24 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

If you have never been here, you might be surprised at how convenient every place is to shopping, rec centers, golf courses, etc. From St James to Sumter is probably no more than 15 minutes by golf car, and Southern Trace is probably 15 minutes by automobile. St James to Colony is probably 15 minutes by cart and 10 or less by car. I can't answer your villa question, though it seems reasonable to assume that patio villas are preferred by snowflakes and for rentals, and thus more likely to be unoccupied in the summer.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:26 PM

We love living in St. James. Currently the closest shopping is at Colony Plaza. There is vacant land on 466A that is behind some of the houses in St James that is zone commercial. We've heard one section is planned for medical offices and the other parcel is planned for retail and restaurants. We also like that St James is also about 1/2 way between LSL and the new town square. Don't worry about finding your way around you can find your way around pretty quickly.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:30 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

If you are directionally challenged as a disability, look at the haciendas at Mission Hills. They are four minutes by golf cart into Lake Sumter Landing, where there is a supermarket with a drug store, liquor store, town square. restaurants, etc. It is easy for me and I have no sense of direction until I go somewhere multiple times. You just drive your golf cart under the tunnel, turn and go over the bridge for a few minutes and you are there! It is a new village, easy to make friends.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:45 PM
Sage

We've talked with a number of people in TV who have said they've made more friends via what they do and what types of things they're involved in rather than people who are their neighbors.

Bill
Old 04-24-2012, 09:10 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
We've talked with a number of people in TV who have said they've made more friends via what they do and what types of things they're involved in rather than people who are their neighbors.

Bill
I agree Bill!! With 1800 clubs to join, you will develop friendships with club members quickly. Patio Villas and CYV's generally have driveway parties to meet new neighbors and develop friendships as well. We have a CYV and I estimate that 25% are snowbird/renter owned so a large number of neighbors are there full time. I'm sure that the ratio would be close to the same in a Patio Villa community.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:47 AM
Platinum member

Also it seems that you might choose your neighborhood to suit your social preferences. The newer neighborhoods seem to attract somewhat younger, excited folks who want to have more neighborhood "get togethers" Older, more established neighborhoods have "been there, done that" and you probably won't find as much interaction with your neighbors.

With the dog you might enjoy the CYV life! We do!
Old 04-25-2012, 07:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Have a patio villa and we are 50/50 on our street with only three rentals but the rental have 6 month renters returning every year, so you know everyone.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:39 AM
Platinum member

Thanks for all the great information. I'm leaning towards a CYV.....can't decide St. James....or Hacienda's Mission Hills.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.