Questions about selling a house by owner in TV

Closed Thread
Old 09-05-2023, 11:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,770 Times in 5,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdp07 View Post
This is not true, buyers can have an agent.
Can anyone state that they actually paid an agent to represent them as a buyer of a house, and paid the agent a commission over and above the 5 or 6 percent broker's commission stated in the listing agreement at the closing? How much commission did you pay? In my experience, the broker commission is listed on the seller's side of the settlement statement and is paid by the seller. Is there any real estate company who offers to represent the buyer and agrees to collect no money from the listing broker commission at closing? As I understand Florida law, a licensed agent cannot represent both the buyer and the seller during the selling phase, but they can serve as a "transaction" agent during the closing phase.
Old 09-05-2023, 02:14 PM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStarAirlines View Post
Just wanted to echo this....this is the best advice out there!
The other fantastic advice is to pay to get on the MLS. This will open so many more doors than the one you have cracked open. I never use Zillow and abhor their site, so I use Redfin exclusively. Your house will never make it over there or the hundreds of other listing sites without being on the MLS. This will be worth the ~$100 price.
Just wondering why you don't use Zillow? It was my "go to" place when looking for a house in the area.
Old 09-05-2023, 02:21 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,640 Times in 1,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Can anyone state that they actually paid an agent to represent them as a buyer of a house, and paid the agent a commission over and above the 5 or 6 percent broker's commission stated in the listing agreement at the closing? How much commission did you pay? In my experience, the broker commission is listed on the seller's side of the settlement statement and is paid by the seller. Is there any real estate company who offers to represent the buyer and agrees to collect no money from the listing broker commission at closing? As I understand Florida law, a licensed agent cannot represent both the buyer and the seller during the selling phase, but they can serve as a "transaction" agent during the closing phase.
I have used a buyer's agent a few times. We both signed a contract stating he/she was my buyer's agent. Their commissions were paid out of the proceeds of the sale. A couple of times I have told a commercial real estate broker I would pay him a finders fee or commission if he found a property I ended up buying but nothing ever came of it.

I held a New Mexico Real Estate broker license from 1976 until 2020 and used it only a few times, mostly on my own deals. In the last two years I sold commercial properties in Maryland and New Mexico but did not ask for nor receive a commission as I was no longer licensed. I negotiated what I thought were reasonable commissions in the listing contracts.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 09-05-2023 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-06-2023, 08:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member

You put it in a nutshell, retiredguy123! TV realtors are the only ones that are allowed to sell newly built homes!
Old 09-06-2023, 10:18 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,074 Times in 744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbb View Post
That was my exact experience last year when I was looking for a home. FSBO were so overpriced it was a waste of time to look at them.
FSBO is Amateur Hour.

Why would anyone making an investment the size of a home purchase, deal with an amateur?

Blind leading the blind.

I won't even mention the statistics that comparatively show how ridiculous it is, to sell a home FSBO..

But as usual, The Villages are different than the real world. It's inhabited by the smartest, savviest, most sophisticated people in the USA ... at least in their own minds.
Old 09-06-2023, 06:11 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
FSBO is Amateur Hour.

Why would anyone making an investment the size of a home purchase, deal with an amateur?

Blind leading the blind.

I won't even mention the statistics that comparatively show how ridiculous it is, to sell a home FSBO..

But as usual, The Villages are different than the real world. It's inhabited by the smartest, savviest, most sophisticated people in the USA ... at least in their own minds.
Can we please stop with the name-calling? It is not ridiculous to sell a home FSBO. If you have a nice home that is truly move-in ready and priced correctly, a buyer will snap it up. If either party is worried about the closing, you can hire a real estate attorney to complete that task. He/She will make certain the transfer of the home is seamless and worry free. You can easily have the home inspected before purchasing. The price of each is comparable to the closing costs of a home bought through MLS. I have no issues buying a home FSBO. I do not need a realtor holding my hand telling me what I should and shouldn't buy. In the real world, savvy people find what is best for them. Maybe you should wander out and meet some of them.

Last edited by Randall55; 09-06-2023 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09-06-2023, 07:09 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,762 Times in 759 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babubhat View Post
Realtors overprice it to get the listing. Then you are stuck for 3 months.You need at least three opinions with recent comps. I had one joker says my house worth 100k more. Rarely works in your favor,

The only reality in selling is price solves the problem. Better taking 5 percent off now tha44n paying a commission. Buyer is going to expect it anyway.
Years and experience have shown us you are 100% correct. Won't go into all the boring details but many places like this area: will say any price to get you to sign on the line, then they begin the routine, "we need to knock it down a "little" get more interest, let's take 2K off and if no response we'll try 5K. Then they begin to give you little "tips", let's (they always say "us" but they mean YOU) . You pay for the new paint they suggest, or the new carpet or tile, or the new landscaping (curb appeal is important) but remember "let's spruce it up a little means YOU pay for it.
I do agree that homes for sale SELL if they are "at the right price", you know the right price when it sells ! 3 designers in our neighborhood that WOULD have easily sold for $440K at the height of the pandemic, and sold quickly, have now been for sale for 4 months, all priced $390K to $410K. 4 months, all are listed with villages realty, none have even had an offer, even a "low ball" offer ? Different market it looks like !
Old 09-06-2023, 07:20 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
A house going stale due to overpricing many times results in it eventually selling for a lower price than it would have brought had it been initially priced correctly. Add the carrying cost for several months and it is a lose-lose proposition.
Absolutely TRUE. Time after time it proves to be true. Not saying it has never happened, but I have NEVER, not once, seen a home that "went stale" (a unit that constantly cut the inflated initial price) sell for what it would have sold for has it been listed at "fair market value" in the beginning. Prospective buyers are VERY shy of homes they have tracked for months and noted a long string of price cuts. On the other hand, some agents think that "price cut" is a very enticing measure. I disagree !

Last edited by Pairadocs; 09-06-2023 at 07:24 PM. Reason: improve clarity
Old 09-06-2023, 07:45 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRaised View Post
Perhaps I am wording it wrong. We will pay the buyers agent 2.5%. So, we are willing to work with an MLS agent if an agent brings us a buyer.

The point of my post is to get successful marketing ideas.
I believe frequent open houses ( a pain I know ), once the snowbird season arrives could pay off. Little things can mean a lot to some looking. Little paint chips on wall edges, clean door hardware, neat clean UNDER sink and bath vanity areas, no old stains from drips that were fixed, but signs still there. Door into home from the garage... clean ? On both sides including the garage side ? Or black marks, stains, etc. Fix them. Sliding door slide easily ? Windows go up and down easily ? Fans NOT squeaking ? All outlets working properly ? Drawers and cabinets clean and as uncrowded as possible (for those living in the home) ? It really does give a better impression if "some" food items, clothing items, shoes, books, towels, sheets, furniture.... can be removed. IF possible for you store as much as possible at another location. If you have articles you absolutely know do not want at your new home, sell or donate them now, before you hold open houses. Keep kitchen and bath drawers "believable", but when a kitchen drawer is pulled out, have 4-6 towels in it, not over flowing. May all sound silly, but people do remember how "spacious" the closets were, even though the same dimensions of those packed wall to wall with clothes, and some additional baskets of articles on the floors too.
Old 09-06-2023, 07:52 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Guess they did that in order to draw folks in.
Just recently I have noticed some on line pictures say: Virtually staged. You are right, I've gone to see a house in person and the fool color and even the type of material is different on line and in person.
Old 09-06-2023, 08:02 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
I'm sure you're familiar with the famous quote about attorneys & doctors.

It's the same for folks who try to sell their own home. Doubly true, it a difficult market.

Good luck, you'll need it.
IMHO, I think you might find the more difficult the market the BETTER chance you have if you sell it yourself. You'll not have to go through the agent pestering you to keep lowering the price ever couple weeks because they (the agent) does not have to worry about the proceeds, and what the owner is left with to live on or buy another home. Agent still gets their share and moves on, never gives what you have left. We have always hired a competent real estate attorney interested in OUR well being. Definitely more interested in protecting us, than the "generic" attorney any agent has at the closing. And, it costs far far less than paying an agent 3-6% of the sale. Others prefer to turn it all over to someone else.
Old 09-06-2023, 08:06 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahcme View Post
Think like a potential buyer. Yes price is important, but buyers also search for listings based on location, then number of beds and baths. So you want to ensure that your listing is on a service that allows buyers to search on those specific terms as well as any extras like "corner lot" "pool" or "pool ready" "backs to woods" "backs to golf course" "backs to water view", "bonus room". Photos (as others have said) are key. If your photos look flat to you it's worth hiring a pro to take great pix (something that relators do) to really give prospects a good idea of what the home looks like. Including an aerial view (especially if there's water or golf nearby), is important. Look at listings that would catch your eye and try to make yours look like those. Also look at those comp prices and consider slotting your price somewhere in the middle. (I expect you've already thought of some of these things.) Finally, make it easy for prospective buyers to tour the home either via an appointment or open house schedule included in your site. As to how to keep agents away? No idea, sorry.
Good tips all ! Remember things like lot on golf course, swimming pool, hot tub, etc. are HUGE negatives to some potential buyers, and attractive positives to others, so you want the site you are on to allow people to search on those and other fields.
Old 09-06-2023, 08:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I'm sure you're familiar with the famous quote about attorneys & doctors.

It's the same for folks who try to sell their own home. Doubly true, it a difficult market.

Good luck, you'll need it.
I sold my first home by myself in 2006 with no issues at the price a realtor would have listed it for. It helped that it was in a popular neighborhood. I would imagine with the internet it would be much easier now. I remember an agent came to my door and told me that I wouldn't be able to sell it that way.

But it doesn't work for everyone. My Dad's neighbor who also lives in TV tried to do a FSBO recently and gave up after 2 months. Signed on with an agent and didn't take long to sell after that.
Closed Thread

Tags
home, owner, house, work, listings

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.