The REAL ESTATE ANSWER I GOT

Old 04-25-2024, 04:53 AM

Run run run away. So they determined the cause, now the real work starts. You got water in your room that came from your soffit, thru your attic, down the wall, and soaked your carpet and pad. You need to replace the attic insulation, you need to open up the drywall and replace that insulation, and replace the wet drywall, then you need to pick up the carpet and pad and replace that. Where there is water there will be mold down the road.
Old 04-25-2024, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartnsoul View Post
For anyone following my post, the latest is the R.E. AGENT called me to tell me they figured it out and NOT to worry. It was a broken water sprinkler head. I asked who determined that? He said irrigation guy. He said it's fixed and all dry now. How do I know for sure. I'm under so much pressure. Husband going for brain surgery Monday. Deadline almost up. What do I do??? Attorney will charge a fortune.
Call this home inspector. John Waldrop 352-602-9819. We used him and there was a water issue and he came back after the repairs to make sure they repaired them correctly. Don't go on the word of the irrigation guy.
Old 04-25-2024, 06:43 AM

A verbal “it’s fixed” means nothing. Use a home inspection company. Several good ones here. Hopefully your husband’s surgery goes well
Old 04-25-2024, 06:44 AM
Default Contract

I would cancel that contract and run. There are plenty of houses around. With everything you got going on I would wait until after the surgery. They will have to give you money back. Don't listen to the real estate agent their main objective is to get the commission.
Old 04-25-2024, 07:24 AM

As many have said, do no purchase the home -- there could be numerous problems due to the water in the closet including mold, etc. You should be given the money back. If not, you can consult with an attorney. An attorney will not cost a fortune. Where I lived previously, an attorney was required for the closing. In Florida, an attorney is not needed to purchase a home. I hired a real estate attorney when I was in the process of purchasing my home in The Villages. This is the biggest single item that most people will purchase -- spending hundreds of thousand of dollars -- I wanted to make sure everything was fine.

You are under a lot of stress -- do not purchase the home. The seller wants to sell the home and the real estate agent wants to get their commission. Look out for yourself. Get your money back and look for another home.
Old 04-25-2024, 07:40 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,076 Times in 539 Posts

I would run away from this deal, that's what contingencies and inspections are for. If they won't return the contingency money right away, the escrow company will eventually return it..... it takes a few years though.
Old 04-25-2024, 07:47 AM

So sorry for all the stress. Do not close on the house! The realtor and irrigation guy are not your friends. Get a new realtor and look at another house.
Old 04-25-2024, 07:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,829 Times in 5,298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamingypsy View Post
I would run away from this deal, that's what contingencies and inspections are for. If they won't return the contingency money right away, the escrow company will eventually return it..... it takes a few years though.
It shouldn't take years, but a letter to the escrow company, preferably from an attorney, should ensure that they will not release the money to the broker or to the seller.
Old 04-25-2024, 08:39 AM

You've got some great replies already, I just wanted to offer prayers for your husband's upcoming surgery and for your Peace and well being too.
Old 04-25-2024, 08:57 AM

I am wondering who your buyers agent is in this transaction? I would ask for an extension of the inspection period , in writing. I would get a reinspection with a water detection meter and decide from there. You should not be under pressure by anyone they should grant an extension for you to for you to do your due diligence. If you need help call me 281-513-1250 and I can talk to you, sorry you’re going through this and prayers for your husband
Old 04-25-2024, 11:41 AM

Who is your buyers agent? Get a reinspection. Ask for an extension of the inspection period. If you need help call me 281-514-1250. I can look at your contract
Old 04-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,829 Times in 5,298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlbonivich View Post
Who is your buyers agent? Get a reinspection. Ask for an extension of the inspection period. If you need help call me 281-514-1250. I can look at your contract
There is no buyer's agent. The seller's agent has asked for an extension, not the buyer. I wouldn't extend anything. Just ask to cancel the sales contract because of the water damage that I don't think any inspector can guarantee won't result in future mold damage. The earnest money should be refunded to the buyer. I do agree with reading the contract to see if there are any unusual clauses.
Old 04-25-2024, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartnsoul View Post
For anyone following my post, the latest is the R.E. AGENT called me to tell me they figured it out and NOT to worry. It was a broken water sprinkler head. I asked who determined that? He said irrigation guy. He said it's fixed and all dry now. How do I know for sure. I'm under so much pressure. Husband going for brain surgery Monday. Deadline almost up. What do I do??? Attorney will charge a fortune.
wouldn’t believe that, houses here are built on a slab, and the irrigation nozzle seem far fetched! But that just me.
Old 04-25-2024, 02:17 PM

I have been watching this story from the beginning. I hope we hear the out come.
After reading all the run away comments I would have to say that's how to approach this, then no one should ever buy a house in The Villages or any development where houses are built on top of one another. Pretty much each and every house could have this same problem arise. So, do we just run away from all of the possible problems?
There's not enough information to tell exactly how bad this "water damage" was or is. No idea about the exact wording of the contract.
I wish the buyer luck in this contract and they can make an informed decision how to proceed,
Old 04-25-2024, 02:40 PM
Sage

You have stated in another thread that you couldn't understand the Inspection Clause. Since we don't know exactly what kind of contract you signed, it likely could have been "As Is." That doesn't mean you can't back out, in fact, it is easy, provided you are in your inspection time window.

In 2021, my husband and I signed an "As Is" contract to buy a house near The Villages. We had 18 days within which to have inspection(s), performed as we "shall desire during the Inspection period."

The contract stated "If Buyer determines, in Buyer's sole discretion, that the Property is not acceptable to Buyer, Buyer may terminate this Contract by delivering written notice of such election to Seller prior to expiration of Inspection Period. If buyer timely terminates this contract, the Deposit paid shall be returned to Buyer, thereupon, Buyer and Seller shall be released of all further obligations under this Contract..."

The seller of this "As Is" house had already gone to Assisted Living and his daughter was handling the sale long distance. That sounds like your situation where the owner passed at age 97. Our inspector found many items needing relatively expensive repairs. When we thought about it we decided we didn't want to take on an expensive repair project.

Since we were within the time frame required we wrote a simple letter rejecting the property. We presented it to the seller's agent, who was disappointed but could not dispute our decision. And we promptly got our 10% earnest money back from the title company.

So, if you have an "As Is" contract that is still using the same form as in 2021 and are still within the inspection window, it is no trouble to get out of it. Just be sure you do it in writing and if you both signed the contract, be sure you both sign and date the rejection letter.

The key is "Inspection Period," doesn't matter what is wrong with the property.

Good Luck

Tags
monday, guy, fixed, dry, charge

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.