The REAL ESTATE ANSWER I GOT

Old 04-26-2024, 05:07 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Well, I'm leaning more toward your being incorrect, grossly incorrect.

From other two threads by the OP: Villa not new, does not involve The Villages new homes, does not involve seller being fined for late closing, does not even involve a VLS listing. OP mentioned a Realty Exec agent, though not in what capacity. Villa offered at $40,000 under comparable listings. That sounds to me like a Florida "As Is" contract form. I'm not an agent but we have bought homes with this contract and walked away from one at no cost to ourselves. Because we were within the Inspection Period.

Woman who lived there passed at age 97. OP opines that she probably didn't suspect the wet carpet issue. We don't know who is the seller. Maybe the seller is a corporate entity or an estate? Anyway, it is not someone who has a dying mother out of state...rather the deceased sounds like she was the "dying mother." She doesn't need the money to close on another property, as you hypothesize.

ETA: if you are saying the house is not being sold by the owner (the owner died?), and we don't know who the seller is, that is different info again. The OP should have one thread and the OP should have answered critical questions like what the contract says.

The buyer's inspector said the villa needs new windows. Maybe irrelevant but costly, nonetheless. He also found the wet carpet in the closet, but didn't photograph it or offer an opinion on what caused it. The seller states the carpet issue has been fixed on time by correcting a sprinkler spray. The buyer is fearful of trusting that a simple repair could have fixed problems that might have occurred in the meantime, such as mold.

These are some reasons why your thesis doesn't "hold water," vs. RG123, who has followed this from the beginning.

I only knew of one other thread. I skipped to this thread when it was started and assumed everything not in the first thread was in this one. Apparently I missed a middle thread. Why is the OP starting multiple threads on the same subject?

But you misunderstood what I was saying about the Seller. You don't know what the Seller is buying. Maybe the Seller of this house is buying a house from the Villages. Maybe a delay or cancelation of this contract means the Seller gets screwed on a different contract they have. Most real estate transactions have a cascade effect. I'm buying a house but I have to sell my current home to buy it. Person buying my current home is selling their current home to by mine. And so on. When deals fall apart a lot of people are usually getting screwed.

ETA: Are you saying the owner died and the seller is someone else with POA or something? Okay I didn't have that info either.

To say the seller doesn't stand to lose anything means you imply they don't have another transaction hinging on this one.

If the inspector was that bad that is another whole issue on the buyer who hired them. The buyer should let the realtor know that the inspector sucks and don't recommend them. As far as the windows, which was definitely new info to me, the buyer should be able to back out on that alone. But again we don't know what the contract states so it's hard to tell. Quite simply this all comes down to the contract.

Last edited by frayedends; 04-26-2024 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-26-2024, 05:10 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,762 Times in 759 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Don’t pay the title company UNTIL your terms are met. My agent would not give me the keys to the house no matter how many times I asked because she wanted to be the property manager when I was away as a snowflake. I wrote on the title document that I did not receive the keys and can’t get into the house and therefore, can’t pay for this. The title company called me as I was 2000 miles away and said it wasn’t their concern. But they let the broker know and the keys were delivered to my northern address. Then I paid the title company.
Good for you, a very high percentage of people CAN be bullied into legally "negligible" actions. Most often due to the average person's fear of an attorney bill... and it WORKS in (my guess here) at least 95% of the cases. Businesses, car dealers, spa dealers, contractors, real estate agents who main interest is to see that a deal is closed so all get "paid" (agents, banks, inspectors, title company, all those involved), they all know most people will back off when faced with hiring an attorney.
Old 04-26-2024, 05:22 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,762 Times in 759 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubawva View Post
You contact an attorney - the same advice you’ve been receiving for about a week. It won’t be a fortune for help on this issue. RvR on spending a few hundred on an attorney v the cost of settling in this house is significant.
Do NOT accept the word if agent, contact attorney NOW.
100% agree ! Relatives bought a home here and AGENT urged them to hire "certified" inspector. Gave them a list of about 3 the agent "approved of". Cost them close to $500, they received a list of the inspected items, ALL passed the "inspection". Also contained a clause that spelled out the inspector was NOT responsible for anything, was not a guarantee nor a warranty, and that no legal action can be taken concerning the inspection. Within the first 3 months, they found the roof (which looked great) was leaking significantly and had been for some time... there is no way the "certified" inspector could have missed the water signs on the floor of the attic unless, he failed to do a thorough inspection on his hands and knees in the attic ? Also had immediate electrical problems with the under cabinet lighting the agent proudly pointed out, and the vanity in one bathroom was found to have a false "bottom", where at one time it had been completely soaks from a leak and had only had "cosmetic" work. These, plus gutter leaks and sagging (not visible to the naked eye, but improperly installed gutter "strapping", were part of the $26K of work NOT found by the inspector they they paid before they made the purchase. Just some things to consider when buying a house.
Old 04-26-2024, 05:27 PM
Veteran member

^^^^^
Certainly there are bad inspectors. But I'm surprised a realtor would recommend them if they are that bad. After all, realtor needs a good reputation to be successful.

The realtor I know recently saved a buyer inspection money simply because after a few minutes the inspector found big issues. She says to the buyer, "We can stop the inspection right now and save you some money if these issues are enough to make you back out."

That way they don't pay for a 3 hour inspection if they found a bad roof or something in the first 5 minutes.

But I agree, the OP needs a lawyer to at least look at the contract and see where she stands.
Old 04-26-2024, 10:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,042 Times in 1,755 Posts

///

Tags
monday, guy, fixed, dry, charge

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.