Real glass eyeglasses

Closed Thread
Old 11-27-2023, 08:02 AM

As someone who manufactured over 5 million pairs of eye glasses in my career from 1974-2013, I doubt you will find someone who can do glass. The transition to plastic started in the late 60’s then to polycarbonate in the mid80’s along with high index materials, and Trivex in the early 2000’s. The best current choices would be Trivex, high abbe value 1.60 index and for height prescriptions 1.67 index. Glass had pretty much vanished well before I retired.

With all that said, nothing matches the ABBE value and optical stability of glass. However, if you are interested, PM me your prescription and contact info, I’ll do a search for you and match it up with a local optical shop.
Old 11-27-2023, 08:13 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulz View Post
As someone who manufactured over 5 million pairs of eye glasses in my career from 1974-2013, I doubt you will find someone who can do glass. The transition to plastic started in the late 60’s then to polycarbonate in the mid80’s along with high index materials, and Trivex in the early 2000’s. The best current choices would be Trivex, high abbe value 1.60 index and for height prescriptions 1.67 index. Glass had pretty much vanished well before I retired.

With all that said, nothing matches the ABBE value and optical stability of glass. However, if you are interested, PM me your prescription and contact info, I’ll do a search for you and match it up with a local optical shop.
Do you know if OSHA approved safety glasses are still made of glass? I remember them having special impact requirements.
Old 11-27-2023, 08:49 AM

A google search came up with a few online companies. Here is one.

Real Glass Prescription Lenses | Glass Lenses for Glasses

— Joan Robinson, “Contributions to Modern Economics” (1978)
Old 11-27-2023, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't know if they sell real glass, but I use Zenni.com for all of my eyeglasses. No local optician can come close to competing in price and selection to Zenni. They have thousands to select from, and many are less than $20 for the frames and prescription lenses. Reliable and high quality.
I agree
Old 11-27-2023, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I think the problem with real glass eyeglasses is that they are a lot heavier than plastic lenses.

Eyeglasses at Zenni.com are so inexpensive that I buy 3 or 4 pairs at a time, and if they get scratched, I just throw them away. Also, I like that their glasses include a lot of specs regarding the dimensions, weight, and overall shape and sizing. The selection is way better than at a brick and mortar eyeglass store.
Do they do progressive, no line lenses and if so how do they know where to put the sight line? Thanks
Old 11-27-2023, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Fr View Post
Do they do progressive, no line lenses and if so how do they know where to put the sight line? Thanks
Yes, they sell progressive lenses. I don't know how they fit them.
Old 11-27-2023, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zummy View Post
Anyone know local optician that can provide real glass lenses in your prescription?
On 441/27. Eyeglass World
Old 11-27-2023, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I have used Hindsight for years and generally get 1 day, occasionally 2 day service for new glasses, made to my prescription and at a decent price. They also provide support for their glasses, adjustments, etc.
Hello, what is considered a decent price for progressive eyeglasses at Hindsight?
Old 11-27-2023, 04:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addaboy View Post
Hello, what is considered a decent price for progressive eyeglasses at Hindsight?
These were less than the in house eyeglasses at the opticians, and I did not have to wait 2 weeks for the glasses to be made. As I recall mine were about half the price my wife paid. Now the price is highly dependent on: the frames, the lenses and the optional coating, etc., on the lenses, so you will need to call or stop in to get an idea for your specific needs.
Old 11-27-2023, 09:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
An addition to my previous reply, i have not seen actual GLASS eyeglasses in several years, the new high performance plastics are far better. I have been wearing glasses for over 60 years, and have found the plastic to be very good. My current ones are at least 2.5 years old and in near perfect condition with plastic lens.

And lighter.
Old 11-28-2023, 05:47 AM

I was a master optician that learned on glass lenses. When plastic arrived in the late 60's we thought it a fad...my wife likes Clear View Optix...Mulberry
Old 11-28-2023, 06:02 AM

Glass on OSHA safety lenses is only special application, polycarbonate was 99.9% 10 years ago. My assumption is that Trivex may have become the material of choice, the impact resistance of poly, better optics and better resistance to chemicals.
Old 11-28-2023, 06:15 AM
Veteran member

real glass in eye glasses would be very heavy. That's why they don't use it anymore and the fact that glass could shatter and get into your eye
Old 11-29-2023, 10:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,687 Times in 973 Posts

I have real glass, but they are getting old and would like to replace them with real glass.

I have some spares, and some recreational use pairs that are Zenni, plastic. My biggest problem with them is once they get foggy from sweat, or heat from my face, they just about impossible to quickly wipe clean and clear. And if I take the extra time to do so, they almost immediately fog right back up.
I don't have that problem with glass.

I don't have a very strong Rx, and I don't wear huge frames, so weight is not an issue.
Also, I am among the population who can discern the difference in optical quality between glass and plastic. It drives me nuts.

I have been delaying replacing my old glass pair, because of the difficulty in finding real glass. My Rx hasn't changed in many years, so I'm getting away with it, but the day is coming when I will need to buy a new pair.

For those of you who play pickleball with plastic lenses, how do keep them clear on a hot day. If I could solve that problem, I might be able to live with plastic.
Old 11-29-2023, 10:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
I have real glass, but they are getting old and would like to replace them with real glass.

I have some spares, and some recreational use pairs that are Zenni, plastic. My biggest problem with them is once they get foggy from sweat, or heat from my face, they just about impossible to quickly wipe clean and clear. And if I take the extra time to do so, they almost immediately fog right back up.
I don't have that problem with glass.

I don't have a very strong Rx, and I don't wear huge frames, so weight is not an issue.
Also, I am among the population who can discern the difference in optical quality between glass and plastic. It drives me nuts.

I have been delaying replacing my old glass pair, because of the difficulty in finding real glass. My Rx hasn't changed in many years, so I'm getting away with it, but the day is coming when I will need to buy a new pair.

For those of you who play pickleball with plastic lenses, how do keep them clear on a hot day. If I could solve that problem, I might be able to live with plastic.
As one poster said, the Walmart in Summerfield does sell glass lenses, although they told me that they are not very popular.
Closed Thread

Tags
real, glass, eyeglasses, local, optician

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.