Real glass eyeglasses

Closed Thread
Old 11-26-2023, 10:15 AM
Default Real glass eyeglasses

Anyone know local optician that can provide real glass lenses in your prescription?
Old 11-26-2023, 12:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

I have used Hindsight for years and generally get 1 day, occasionally 2 day service for new glasses, made to my prescription and at a decent price. They also provide support for their glasses, adjustments, etc.
Old 11-26-2023, 01:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

I don't know if they sell real glass, but I use Zenni.com for all of my eyeglasses. No local optician can come close to competing in price and selection to Zenni. They have thousands to select from, and many are less than $20 for the frames and prescription lenses. Reliable and high quality.
Old 11-26-2023, 02:45 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't know if they sell real glass, but I use Zenni.com for all of my eyeglasses. No local optician can come close to competing in price and selection to Zenni. They have thousands to select from, and many are less than $20 for the frames and prescription lenses. Reliable and high quality.
I happened to check Zenni when I saw this thread and didn’t see an option for glass lenses. Most everyone has gone to plastic only these days.
Old 11-26-2023, 04:13 PM

The first glasses I wore were American Optical plano tempered glass safety glasses. They seemed easier to clean and stayed clean longer than today's plastic lenses. Is that just my imagination?
Old 11-26-2023, 04:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob47 View Post
The first glasses I wore were American Optical plano tempered glass safety glasses. They seemed easier to clean and stayed clean longer than today's plastic lenses. Is that just my imagination?
Not your imagination. The anti-scratch coating seems to attract grease and dirt on plastic lenses. Not to mention the glass lenses didn't scratch nearly as much. The old photo-gray glass was much nicer color than the plastic Transitions lenses.

I worked in an eyeglass lab for about 7 years. Hated making the glass lenses. They chipped and cracked pretty easily before we heat treated them and then about 1/4 of them would crack in the heat treating machine. IIRC they would go in a super heated salt solution overnight, about 1700 degrees or something crazy like that. Oh and I just remembered, we had to do a "drop ball" test on the lenses after heat treating. Drop a steel ball down a tube of a certain length onto the lens to make sure it could take the impact. Some of those broke too. We pushed plastic lenses, needless to say.
Old 11-26-2023, 04:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I have used Hindsight for years and generally get 1 day, occasionally 2 day service for new glasses, made to my prescription and at a decent price. They also provide support for their glasses, adjustments, etc.
I second the recommendation for Hindsight. Excellent staff, selection and service. I’ve never waited longer than a day for prescription glasses (sunglasses and regular). Plus, I like to be able to try on the frame before purchasing. I even returned a pair I didn’t like. No questions asked, they made it right.
Old 11-26-2023, 07:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

An addition to my previous reply, i have not seen actual GLASS eyeglasses in several years, the new high performance plastics are far better. I have been wearing glasses for over 60 years, and have found the plastic to be very good. My current ones are at least 2.5 years old and in near perfect condition with plastic lens.
Old 11-26-2023, 07:46 PM
Sage

I think the problem with real glass eyeglasses is that they are a lot heavier than plastic lenses.

Eyeglasses at Zenni.com are so inexpensive that I buy 3 or 4 pairs at a time, and if they get scratched, I just throw them away. Also, I like that their glasses include a lot of specs regarding the dimensions, weight, and overall shape and sizing. The selection is way better than at a brick and mortar eyeglass store.
Old 11-26-2023, 09:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I think the problem with real glass eyeglasses is that they are a lot heavier than plastic lenses.

Eyeglasses at Zenni.com are so inexpensive that I buy 3 or 4 pairs at a time, and if they get scratched, I just throw them away. Also, I like that their glasses include a lot of specs regarding the dimensions, weight, and overall shape and sizing. The selection is way better than at a brick and mortar eyeglass store.
I'm interested in this, but my prescription is at the expiration date. Where do you go to get the prescription you use at Zenni?
Old 11-26-2023, 10:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I'm interested in this, but my prescription is at the expiration date. Where do you go to get the prescription you use at Zenni?
You can get a prescription from any optometrist or opthalmologist. I use Peepers at Colony Plaza. But Zenni doesn't even require you to send in a prescription. You just copy the information from your prescription. The only thing you need to do is to measure your pupil distance (PD). That is the distance in millimeters between your pupils. Easy to do yourself or go to any eyeglass store and they will do it for you.
Old 11-27-2023, 04:46 AM

Another vote for Hindsight. Great selection of frames and they have their own lab to make your glasses to your prescription right at their store.
Old 11-27-2023, 04:50 AM

My eyes are bad without glasses (can’t see my feet clearly). I was never happier when glasses turned plastic. I no longer have Coke bottle thick looking lens that only fit in a few thick frames. The plastic lens are also lighter so they don’t consistently slide down when you sweat. I keep mine an average of three years with no problem due to scratches. I get mine at Walmart, but I’m going to try Costco on next pair.
Old 11-27-2023, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zummy View Post
Anyone know local optician that can provide real glass lenses in your prescription?
Walmart in Summerfield has glass lenses and can fit them to your prescription.
Old 11-27-2023, 08:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob47 View Post
Not sure about staying clean, but I preferred glass because the plastic tends to scratch easier.
Closed Thread

Tags
real, glass, eyeglasses, local, optician

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.