Realtors or trying it on your own?

Closed Thread
Old 02-06-2015, 01:54 PM

wow. great posts. gotta love totv. we bought from a private owner just recently and now wondering if we got hosed.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:39 PM

Jim; Didn'y you check to see the prices the homes were selling for, the type,
the area. If you didn't how did you know you got hosed?
Old 02-06-2015, 07:06 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmusik97 View Post
wow. great posts. gotta love totv. we bought from a private owner just recently and now wondering if we got hosed.
Didn't you get an appraisal?

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 02-06-2015, 07:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmusik97 View Post
You probably looked at similar homes in comparable Villages in the same price range as the one you purchased?
If so, hopefully you paid market value and didn't get hosed.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Didn't you get an appraisal?
I'd be willing to bet that 99% (or more) of those who buy directly from an owner, don't get an appraisal.

By the time most Villagers make their purchase, they have a pretty good idea of the prices anyway.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:09 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
I'd be willing to bet that 99% (or more) of those who buy directly from an owner, don't get an appraisal.

By the time most Villagers make their purchase, they have a pretty good idea of the prices anyway.
If they paid cash they may not have needed an appraisal but in my experience lenders require them.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 02-08-2015, 11:05 AM

Hey all:

Is a commission to the buyers agent mandatory? I'm considering a fsbo on our house in VA and doing it to avoid paying anybody anything (besides closing). I need all the cash I can get, and have a hard time paying the same 6% to someone if they are selling a $800K house or a $200K house and they're doing the same amount of work.

I understand an agent can get more eyes on the property than I can but with Zillow, Craigslist, word of mouth, neighbors, Trulia, etc., and being in a hot market, do I really need to worry about agents?
Old 02-08-2015, 12:19 PM

If an agent brings you a buyer, you only pay her commision, about 2 points
Old 02-08-2015, 01:01 PM

That 2% is a done deal? Or is that something the buyers agent has to negotiate with me? Again my thoughts were since I can list the house myself so many places why do I need to worry about realtors bringing buyers?
Old 02-08-2015, 11:18 PM

When people go to a realtor to see houses, the realtor sees your ad , she will call you and ask if she can show your house, if you say yes and it sells you owe her a commission , or you tell her no 'm selling it on my own and she won't show your house.

But most buyers see the listings and will contact you.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:56 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
If they paid cash they may not have needed an appraisal but in my experience lenders require them.
Yes, lenders do require an appraisal.

They use their own appraisers and the buyer has nothing to do with it, although it is one of their "out of pocket" expenses.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cms36 View Post
Hey all:

Is a commission to the buyers agent mandatory? I'm considering a fsbo on our house in VA and doing it to avoid paying anybody anything (besides closing). I need all the cash I can get, and have a hard time paying the same 6% to someone if they are selling a $800K house or a $200K house and they're doing the same amount of work.

I understand an agent can get more eyes on the property than I can but with Zillow, Craigslist, word of mouth, neighbors, Trulia, etc., and being in a hot market, do I really need to worry about agents?

If you want a Realtor to show your property, yes -- a commission is a necessity. There is no way around that. It can be 3%, or whatever you work out beforehand (in writing). Dealing with any agent is strictly up to you, but don't cut off your nose to spite your face. You will get far more traffic if you will cooperate with an agent. When you put out a sign you will get calls from agents. That's just the nature of the business.

I don't know the price of your house but I can tell you will that you will get considerably more traffic if your home is in the $200,000 price range. It stands to reason the percentage of people who can afford that is significantly higher than those who can afford to spend almost a million dollars.

I don't know how long you have owned your house or what you paid, but what you "need" has nothing to do with your house's worth. My advice to you is not to get greedy because if you do, you probably will be there a long time unless your property is in a really "hot" area for home sales. Don't price yourself out of the ball park.

Last edited by Bonanza; 02-09-2015 at 03:18 AM. Reason: correction
Old 02-10-2015, 06:32 AM

Just ******Under Contract*****
for sale by owner only took me 3 weeks
if I can do it, anyone can do it
just my 2 cents
Good Luck !!!!!!!!!
Old 02-10-2015, 11:33 PM

Well, wish me luck. I have listed my house FSBO in the newspaper and on TOTV. Thank y'all again for all the great advice.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:10 AM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachx4me View Post
Well, wish me luck. I have listed my house FSBO in the newspaper and on TOTV. Thank y'all again for all the great advice.
Good luck, beachie,,, keep us posted.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.