Realtors or trying it on your own?

Closed Thread
Old 01-25-2015, 10:59 PM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

Quote:
Originally Posted by pivo View Post
My third time posting this.
Sell it on your own, it's so easy
You need a lawyer whether you sellit on your own or not.
Your lawyer will do all necessary work, transfers, closing , everything cost 950.00
I put a for sign om my window and listed on craigs list
I had it listed on every site about 12 cost 400..00
The only work I had to do was take pictures of my house
My cost for selling my house 1,350.00
You can do the same just do it
You actually DON'T NEED a lawyer. A reputable title company can handle a sale from beginning to end.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We paid McLin Burnsed $750 and they handled all paper work, all reminders, all scheduling, all clearances and the new owners were ready for their picture taking and chip insertion.

WHO does more closings than McLin Burnsed in the whole United States? Nobody.

I just love the perfection of every aspect of this place.

No I don't work for The Villages.

But I still love Gary Morse.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:52 AM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

I agree with Gracie ... if I were to sell my home I would definitely use McLin Burnsed. I was just stating fact in my previous message to PIVO that you don't actually NEED a lawyer and that was false information given. However, its best to play it safe in my opinion.

Last edited by Phanatic Luvr; 01-31-2015 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:21 AM

I would use them too. I agree with Gracie. They could probably do them in their sleep.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:36 AM

.........Phanatic I used my lawyer for everything which I felt comfortable with-

You mean a title company would do the same thing my lawyer di, closing, transfering
and what would the charge be?

Their has to be some cost if not--for sure selling on your own is the way to go
Old 01-26-2015, 11:08 AM

I'm selling my house myself but offering realtors half their commission if they bring the buyer. I used a realtor to buy because we have used him successfully before. I've sold homes without a realtor a few times in the past with no problems. The Title Company keeps things in check.

Last edited by gap2415; 01-26-2015 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Spell check changes my words!
Old 01-27-2015, 03:40 AM
Soaring Eagle member

[QUOTE=graciegirl;1001244]We paid McLin Burnsed $750 and they handled all paper work, all reminders, all scheduling, all clearances and the new owners were ready for their picture taking and chip insertion.
WHO does more closings than McLin Burnsed in the whole United States? Nobody.QUOTE]

McLin may very well do more closings than anyone(?), but they don't do any more than any other attorney or title company regarding a closing. And one would have to admit that a closing is a piece of cake for them. $750 isn't chump change for changing a couple of names and addresses on a closing statement in addition to the final figures. And like magic -- the computer does the rest while a clerk stands there and waits for the computer to spit out all the pages.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Last edited by Bonanza; 01-27-2015 at 04:04 AM. Reason: duplicate
Old 01-27-2015, 08:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Ya got something against McLin and Burnsed, Bonanza?

They close for The Villages and undoubtedly the Villages sell more homes than any other developer in the country. The Villages are reputable and above board company. Mclin and Burnsed are associated closely to The villages if not completely owned by them.

We were in Cincinnati...the other couple was in New Jersey. They did all things necessary, the arrangement for surveying, the arrangement for title search, sending letters to both of us. Calling us on the phone They were polite, warm, exact, skilled, on time and I have NEVER heard anyone on this forum say they weren't perfect. The price seemed reasonable to both of us. (We spit the cost)

AND I don't work for them either.

I just love the developer. AND I love THE VILLAGES.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:42 AM

It's a piece of cake? Perhaps until something goes wrong, then you better hope you have a good lawyer or Title Company. Recommendations such as those offered here are valuable.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:58 AM
Gold member

maybe resales are not selling is because they are priced higher than new....

I know the location story, been done to death, location is a matter of opinion...

but apples to apples, a new home is more desired than a resale, and if its priced lower, there is really no question....why would I buy old vs buy brand new...

if you want to compete with the developer, price your home slightly less than the new homes
to get more interest....
Old 01-29-2015, 10:39 PM

Thanks. All great advice, hope to put it up within the next month. I may try first by myself. If I can sell it myself, I can save enough to put towards an addition on the house we just bought.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member

[quote=graciegirl;1000477]I trust the agents working for the developer. Our agent showed us resales equally with new listings when we were thinking about moving within The Villages.. Jim McLaughlin is worth 43 of anything....including realtors with their capital R who are needed outside of this very HOT selling place.
QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcisamax View Post
Gracie, Although your agent may have showed you resales equally with new listings, I still say that the realtors in TV do not have a fiduciary duty to you...they work for the developer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanatic Luvr View Post
shcisamax, Although you are entitled to your opinion, The Village agents need to abide and are governed by Florida Statue 475. If they do not, they can be brought up on charges by FREC, Florida Real Estate Commission and also the DBPR, Department of Business and Professional Relations. They have to abide by the same rules and regulations as ALL agents in Florida. The difference with The Village agents and Realtors, is they do not belong to any Board of Realtors.
Yes, Gracie -- you remembered the word Realtor is always spelled with a capital "R" because the word is a registered trademark. So why didn't you use it??? Currently, sales are not so "hot." Many spec houses are sitting vacant and incentives keep changing because sales have not been what Morse thought they would be or should be. They've stopped buiding entire streets of spec houses and now, once again, you can choose your lot and house.

Of course Village agents have to abide by Chapter 475. But Realtors have to abide to more strict rules and regulations. Villages' agents do not have to abide to the Code of Ethics as required by the National Association of Realtors. They do not have to answer to a local Board or Association of Realtors either, which has the power to impose disciplinary actions.

One of the "biggies" is that Village agents cannot take any of the many incredible courses that the NAR offers or even the classes offered by a local board, most of which are free. Many of these agents have never worked in a "real" real estate office and they have no clue what is entailed. They almost are handed listings because their sphere of influence is limited strictly to The Villages. Between open houses and the "up" system they are virtually guaranteed listings and buyers.

Of course there are some excellent sales people who work as agents in The Villages. But please do not compare a Villages' agent with a seasoned Realtor. There is no comparison.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post
maybe resales are not selling is because they are priced higher than new....

I know the location story, been done to death, location is a matter of opinion...

but apples to apples, a new home is more desired than a resale, and if its priced lower, there is really no question....why would I buy old vs buy brand new...

if you want to compete with the developer, price your home slightly less than the new homes
to get more interest....
Location has not been "done" to death and never will be.
It is not based on opinion.
It is based on statistics within a given area.

You are ill informed. A new home is not necessarily "more desired."
A resale property usually has all the kinks worked out.
They usually have features added which new homes do not have.
The landscaping is usually more mature.
I could go on and on but I think you get the point.
Resales are very desirable!
Old 01-30-2015, 04:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Ya got something against McLin and Burnsed, Bonanza?

They close for The Villages and undoubtedly the Villages sell more homes than any other developer in the country. The Villages are reputable and above board company. Mclin and Burnsed are associated closely to The villages if not completely owned by them.

We were in Cincinnati...the other couple was in New Jersey. They did all things necessary, the arrangement for surveying, the arrangement for title search, sending letters to both of us. Calling us on the phone They were polite, warm, exact, skilled, on time and I have NEVER heard anyone on this forum say they weren't perfect. The price seemed reasonable to both of us. (We spit the cost)

I have nothing against McLin & Burnsed. I didn't say anything negative about them. I agree they probably sell more houses than any other developer, but percentage-wise, they may not. The bottom line is it doesn't matter.

If you were in one city and the buyer was elsewhere, that is the easiest kind of closing a title company or lawyer can have. It's called a "mail-away." I'm sure they were professional but please don't say they are perfect. I speak from personal experience and there isn't any title company or attorney who hasn't made a mistake once in a while.

Also, you probably didn't "split" the cost. There are fees which are peculiar to a buyer and the same holds true for the seller. The costs are not all the same.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.