realtors vs tv real estate brokers

Closed Thread
Old 03-30-2020, 09:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,048 Times in 5,337 Posts

We moved into the villages 2 months ago.
Were working with an MLS broker but we were not satisfied with the houses she had to show us and hooked up with a Villages realtor and found our house.
The two groups definitely do not play together at all.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,730 Times in 5,250 Posts

If you are buying a house, I recommend using an experienced Villages agent who will refer you to an outside agent for the MLS listings that you may want to view. That way, you have access to all available houses, and you will not create a conflict. A good Villages agent will be happy to suggest an outside agent. If they won't, I would find another Villages agent who will.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:46 AM

That’s actually untrue! Caldwell banker can show villages realty properties but if a sale occurs by their client, they can’t get the commission. A villages realtor will usually be at their listed house to help show it to the outside realtor and their client buyer.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:46 AM

Having two agents if you are looking to buy, one from TV and one using MLS, is advisable in order to see the full range of properties available. But what if you are selling? Other than one or the other not willing to participate in a dual listing wouldn't I want the most exposure for my property by listing both with TV and on MLS?
Old 03-30-2020, 10:49 AM

No realtor will allow you to duel list your home for sale and split the commission!!! That makes no sense and you are signing a contract with the realty agent to put it on the market and that means they have sole sale rights! No such thing as dual listing a home for sale. Where did you get that idea? *♀️
Old 03-30-2020, 01:17 PM

Excellent explanation!
Old 03-30-2020, 02:16 PM

Two different agents showing you houses. When you find a house you like the agent that showed you the house will consummate the deal.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:29 PM

Zillow. For years it seemed like almost all MLS listings were north of 466. Zillow, the last six months have so many more all the way down to 44.
On TV preowned listings it looks like they have less than before.
Here is my question, when selling using MLS can the commission be negotiated below 6%?
Old 03-30-2020, 03:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowdie View Post
Zillow. For years it seemed like almost all MLS listings were north of 466. Zillow, the last six months have so many more all the way down to 44.
On TV preowned listings it looks like they have less than before.
Here is my question, when selling using MLS can the commission be negotiated below 6%?
The commission can definitely be negotiated, especially the listing agent's part. Some agents even advertise a 4 percent commission, with 3 percent going to the selling agent.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:54 PM

Remember, The Villages is an anomaly.....different. The replies that I have read are correct. You need two realtors if you want too see the whole universe of what is available for sale in The Villages. This is unique. If you are coming in on the Life Style plan, you might feel a loyalty to the Villages rep that takes you around and that is natural. We just bought in July 2019 and it took us a minute to understand the situation. Your Villages Rep will likely not tell you this. We had to figure it out. We ended up with two realtors; a Village Rep and a non- Village Rep. It was a bit awkward but we did make sure we gave full disclosure as they both were spending valuable time with us. The Village Rep only legally represents the interests of the seller, not the buyer but works with the buyer to facilitate the sale. Ours was very helpful and accommodating but we understood that he was primarily looking out for the buyer. They will only show you Villages new construction and Villages resale listings. Those re-sales where the owner chooses to list with someone other than the Villages, will not be shown to you by the Villages Rep. You can look at Zillow and see those homes listed by non-Villages companies/agents. You can contact the listing agent directly if you choose to see the property. Generally Villages listed homes are only on the Villages website and not Zillow or other such listing apps. It is definitely a challenge if you want to perform an exhaustive search and it is in your best interest to look at all that is available.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:56 PM

Correction: I meant the Villages Rep was looking out for seller not buyer....whoops
Old 03-30-2020, 05:23 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

It is quite simple.

A Villages agent can show you new spec homes, lots to have new houses built upon them as well as resales listed by The Villages Listing Service (VLS). BTW, Villages agents are NOT Realtors although I understand they are licensed by the State of Florida as real estate agents. Caveat: Be sure your Villages agent is willing to show you resales if you are considering buying a resale. My original Villages agent was clearly not as he evaded showing me any.

A Realtor can show you resales listed in the Multiple Listing Service (MLS), but not the VLS.

If you are looking for a resale it is wise to have both a VLS agent and an MLS Realtor as the two services do not cooperate.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-30-2020, 06:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The commission can definitely be negotiated, especially the listing agent's part. Some agents even advertise a 4 percent commission, with 3 percent going to the selling agent.
I've seen those ads by agents for 4% & 5% commission. At 4%, that doesn't give much room for the listing agent to spend time and money on marketing a particular property. And I might add, do you really want to put your trust and faith in someone who so willingly cuts their commission just to get the listing?
Old 03-30-2020, 06:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
I've seen those ads by agents for 4% & 5% commission. At 4%, that doesn't give much room for the listing agent to spend time and money on marketing a particular property. And I might add, do you really want to put your trust and faith in someone who so willingly cuts their commission just to get the listing?
Well, some people say that you get what you pay for. But, there are also agents who will charge a 6 percent commission to list a property and still won't really do much to sell it. I would never agree to pay a 6 percent commission without a written marketing plan from the listing agent. The internet plays a much more important role in selling houses than it used to. When I have listed houses, most of the time another agent finds the buyer before the listing agent does. Also, most houses are eventually sold for less than the asking price. If you get a low offer, you can always renegotiate the commission as part of accepting a lower offer. The commission in the listing agreement only applies if they bring you a full price offer.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Well, some people say that you get what you pay for. But, there are also agents who will charge a 6 percent commission to list a property and still won't really do much to sell it. I would never agree to pay a 6 percent commission without a written marketing plan from the listing agent. The internet plays a much more important role in selling houses than it used to. When I have listed houses, most of the time another agent finds the buyer before the listing agent does. Also, most houses are eventually sold for less than the asking price. If you get a low offer, you can always renegotiate the commission as part of accepting a lower offer. The commission in the listing agreement only applies if they bring you a full price offer.
I don't disagree with anything you just posted. Heck, I've seen agents list for 8% and sit on their hands until another agency brought a offer/buyer.
Closed Thread

Tags
realtors, brokers, listings, estate, real

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.