Reasons for leaving The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 06-30-2013, 11:00 AM
Veteran member
Default Reasons for leaving The Villages

What have you heard about why people leave? Dissatisfied or normal life changes?

My experience has been 50/50 -- one couple went to Summerfield for a larger lot with more privacy and autonomy, and one moved back to her home state because she missed her children.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:03 AM
Sage

I think most people leave for family or health reasons, not because they're unhappy here.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 06-30-2013, 11:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

death...sometime the other person can't stay
Old 06-30-2013, 12:03 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I do not know of any state agency that compiles statistic to determine the primary reason people leave Florida but it is logical to assume that those same reasons apply to The Villages. While not a complete or exhaustive list I have heard want to go home since I am close to dying and want to be buried with......The summers are too hot. The Villages did not live up to my expectations, family issues ,I got restless and wanted new surroundings.
Too crowded. Too expensive. Insert another state and you will end up with the same reasons
Old 06-30-2013, 12:14 PM
Sage

Wanderlust is something I could see as a reason for me personally to leave. Have never lived in the same home for more than 5 years. As a matter of fact we owned our motorhome longer than any real estate and I believe that was because we could move it when we felt like and satisfy the wanderlust we both suffer from.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:47 PM
Sage

I have a friend who has never really liked it here. She always said she missed her children and grandchildren and wanted to go back up north. They just sold their house here in The Villages and are moving back to Massachusetts the end of July. mother died a few months ago and they are moving in with her father. I know she's going to be happier.

We have flipped a few houses her in TV. A couple who owned one of the houses we bought and renovated moved back up north because the wife had developed dementia and her husband-God bless him-had fallen and lost his eyesight. He wasn't able to take care of her or himself any longer. Neighbors said he was so independent he didn't want to admit defeat nor would he allow them to help. His son moved them back up north for their own good. They were a lovely family.

We bought from another homeowner whose two daughters lived in separate states and were both still working and unable to care for her in her home in Florida. She was healthy and as strong as an ox but was also developing dementia. She was moving into an assisted living facility back up north.

That is the story I hear very often. I live on the historic side and have made friends with many, many of the original residents of TV. The other story I hear very often is how many wonderful memories people made while living in The Villages. It always makes me conscious of being alive and appreciative of each and every day. I wish I could learn to hold onto that feeling every minute instead of when I hear of someone leaving TV.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:51 PM
Sage

None
Old 06-30-2013, 01:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
I have a friend who has never really liked it here. She always said she missed her children and grandchildren and wanted to go back up north. They just sold their house here in The Villages and are moving back to Massachusetts the end of July. mother died a few months ago and they are moving in with her father. I know she's going to be happier.

We have flipped a few houses her in TV. A couple who owned one of the houses we bought and renovated moved back up north because the wife had developed dementia and her husband-God bless him-had fallen and lost his eyesight. He wasn't able to take care of her or himself any longer. Neighbors said he was so independent he didn't want to admit defeat nor would he allow them to help. His son moved them back up north for their own good. They were a lovely family.

We bought from another homeowner whose two daughters lived in separate states and were both still working and unable to care for her in her home in Florida. She was healthy and as strong as an ox but was also developing dementia. She was moving into an assisted living facility back up north.

That is the story I hear very often. I live on the historic side and have made friends with many, many of the original residents of TV. The other story I hear very often is how many wonderful memories people made while living in The Villages. It always makes me conscious of being alive and appreciative of each and every day. I wish I could learn to hold onto that feeling every minute instead of when I hear of someone leaving TV.
Great thoughts and if we all could do that, perhaps people would be less concerned with the little things and, like the song says, "Don't worry, be happy!"
Old 06-30-2013, 01:08 PM
Default Yes I have...

Rudeness of the people.
People stare at you when you are friendly.... no response
Impatience of the people.
People here can't drive... dangerous.
People here feel entitled and will let you know they feel this way.
Tired of people grabbing all the chairs in the squares hours before the event.
Tired of people grabbing and roping chairs and tables together during events hours and hours before the event.
Tired of people grabbing all the tables hours and hours before special events.
People doing as they please with property and compliance does nothing to enforce the rules.
People coming up to you in the square demanding you get out of their chair.... when the chair was empty when you sat.
The list will continue.......
And the powers to be do NOTHING !!!!!
etc.
etc.
etc.
etc.
etc.
etc.
Yes, I have
Old 06-30-2013, 01:18 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

As a snowbird, I go to a LOT of open houses, including many FSBO (I would estimate a minimum of 500 in the last 3 to 4 years), and I usually ask why the owners are selling. The overwhelming answers are: 1) Moving elsewhere in The Villages. 2) Miss the kids/grandkids/family/old friends. 3) Sickness of one or both, or loss of one or both. Of course if they are leaving because of dissatisfaction with one or more aspects of TV they, or the realtor, are unlikely to mention that to a prospective buyer.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post
What have you heard about why people leave? Dissatisfied or normal life changes?

My experience has been 50/50 -- one couple went to Summerfield for a larger lot with more privacy and autonomy, and one moved back to her home state because she missed her children.
In the 6 years we have lived here and made so many friends.........more often than not, in our experience, people leave because of health reasons.

Keep having fun and play mah-jongg!
Mallory Voice
Old 06-30-2013, 02:13 PM
Platinum member

I have only been here for 3 weeks but, for me, it would be "I miss what was and am not yet used to what is". I truly like TV but I can understand wanting to go back home. I think my roots will always be NY.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
I have only been here for 3 weeks but, for me, it would be "I miss what was and am not yet used to what is". I truly like TV but I can understand wanting to go back home. I think my roots will always be NY.
I agree. I would be back in NY in a flash if I could afford it. And if I never had to shovel snow!
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 06-30-2013, 03:12 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
I agree. I would be back in NY in a flash if I could afford it. And if I never had to shovel snow!
I'd go back in a "New York Minute". I could hire someone to shovel. The damn taxes are what got me.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We are all so different. You could not pay me to move back to NY and I lived in upstate as well as NYC. I haven't met anyone who wants to move out of TV but have met many who moved to new homes in TV.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.