Received New Fire Assessment DOUBLE

Old 05-19-2024, 01:12 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,150 Times in 575 Posts
Default Received New Fire Assessment DOUBLE

Thanks to some genius politicians, we received our new Fire assessment fee statement for 2024-25.

Heads need to roll!

Almost doubling the Fire assessment fee is their answer while we get statements from them like, “We are flush with cash.”

Um yah, no wonder!

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde
Old 05-19-2024, 01:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 2,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Thanks to some genius politicians, we received our new Fire assessment fee statement for 2024-25.

Heads need to roll!

Almost doubling the Fire assessment fee is their answer while we get statements from them like, “We are flush with cash.”

Um yah, no wonder!
If only you had attended one of the presentations or paid attention to the explanation in earlier threads. Then you might understand where that number came from and why it likely represents a decrease in your fire protection payment.

I expected mine to be closer to $350 so I’ll be happy if I see $320. By way of comparison, I paid about $520 for fire protection on my last tax bill.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Last edited by Bill14564; 05-19-2024 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-19-2024, 01:23 PM
Platinum member
Default Did attend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
If only you had attended one of the presentations or paid attention to the explanation in earlier threads. Then you might understand where that number came from and why it likely represents a decrease in your fire protection payment.
I did attend the meeting at the rec center and have a copy of the slide presentation, thanks anyway for your uninformed input.

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde
Old 05-19-2024, 01:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
I did attend the meeting at the rec center and have a copy of the slide presentation, thanks anyway for your uninformed input.
In that case I am confused by your comment since the information on page 16 of the presentation shows an expected fee of $333. Your $320 is less than what you were told during the presentation.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 05-19-2024, 01:44 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
In that case I am confused by your comment since the information on page 16 of the presentation shows an expected fee of $333. Your $320 is less than what you were told during the presentation.
Are you really expecting a reduction in county taxes? Swampland anyone?

Old 05-19-2024, 02:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 2,285 Posts

Hmmmm. Less than a dollar a day for fire and ambulance service. I never in my wildest dreams would have thought that was unreasonable.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 05-19-2024, 02:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,654 Times in 969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Hmmmm. Less than a dollar a day for fire and ambulance service. I never in my wildest dreams would have thought that was unreasonable.
And, if you (or your loved one) are having a cardiac incident, fast ambulance response, not 30 minutes.
Old 05-19-2024, 03:55 PM
Default Not Even Lawful

Quote:

Heads need to roll!

Um yah, no wonder!
Sorry it cant be, but nice try. The assessment can’t legally be raised by more than 3%. It’s Florida law. If a tax is based on a property parcel number, the tax can’t be raised by more than 3% per year.

“ Moreover, Florida law stipulates that the total amount of property taxes collected by each taxing authority cannot increase by more than 3% or the inflation rate, whichever is lesser, unless voters approve an increase.”

Fairfax VA
Stamford CT
Rye NH
Provincetown MA

Last edited by DrMack; 05-19-2024 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Quoted
Old 05-19-2024, 04:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,293 Posts

Quote:
Are you really expecting a reduction in county taxes? Swampland anyone?
You mean like the 9.1% rate cut for 2023 thanks for the investments int infrastructure?

The Villages is adding over $2 billion of new homes to the property tax base every year.

Sumter commissioners slash property tax rate | News | The Villages Daily Sun | thevillagesdailysun.com

Last edited by Altavia; 05-20-2024 at 06:57 AM.
Old 05-19-2024, 04:42 PM

Simple! Don't call them when you need help.
Wishing to decapitate the people who risk their lives to help you puts you in the category of spoiled teenagers.
Old 05-19-2024, 05:20 PM
Gold member

Uh oh. I sense an AED like thread brewing!
Old 05-19-2024, 05:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMack View Post
Sorry it cant be, but nice try. The assessment can’t legally be raised by more than 3%. It’s Florida law. If a tax is based on a property parcel number, the tax can’t be raised by more than 3% per year.

“ Moreover, Florida law stipulates that the total amount of property taxes collected by each taxing authority cannot increase by more than 3% or the inflation rate, whichever is lesser, unless voters approve an increase.”
You will find that:
1. This is not a property tax; and,
2. This is a new taxing authority establishing a new assessment and not an increase to an existing property tax

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 05-19-2024, 05:40 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,335 Times in 390 Posts

Oh you poor villager…expecting nothing to increase..saying you live on a fixed income…all the while collecting social security and maybe a pension while living in a half a million housr

Cry me a river
Old 05-20-2024, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
And, if you (or your loved one) are having a cardiac incident, fast ambulance response, not 30 minutes.
And we have defrib stations everywhere.
Old 05-20-2024, 05:40 AM

Quote:

Heads need to roll!

Um yah, no wonder!
To the OP, “NORMAL”, we have been here eight years and this is the first increase in the fire assessment fee! A less than $3 per week increase and you want to “roll heads”!!! Boy do you need a new Avatar Name!!!!!!

Tags
fire, assessment, received, fee, answer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.