Old 01-02-2021, 09:24 AM
Default Recommendations for appliances

Planning to replace all kitchen appliances
Would like recommendations
Pros and Cons
Old 01-02-2021, 09:28 AM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

GE has best repair, local and fast. Had dishwasher problem, repaired next day with part on truck. Whirlpool/Maytag repair of fridge took 2 weeks. When out of warranty, they all charge about same. Might as well get good service when needed.
Old 01-02-2021, 09:35 AM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleudeturquoise View Post
Pros and Cons
I agree GE is good for service and quality. But quality of Whirlpool is very good also in our experience. One thing to check out is the noise number of dishwashers as some can be loud. Also its nice to have water and ice in the fridge where there is adequate clearance to insert your container. Also liqht in the ice/water insert is handy.
Old 01-02-2021, 09:40 AM

Availability may be a factor. I am not sure why, but we have been waiting for a Samsung dishwasher for 4 months. Friends have been waiting for a cooktop for 3 months. Retailers just don't have the products.

Don't give up your current appliances 'til you see the new ones!
Old 01-02-2021, 10:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

In 2017 I decided to replace the original kitchen appliances and washer & dryer that were all new with the home in 2011 and were basic builder grade appliances at best.

This is what I did, I used real reviews. I opened a browser with Amazon, Best Buy, Home Depot and Lowes websites in each one and then began looking at every appliance for reviews and price.

After about 8 hours I came to the conclusion that LG top loading washer had the least amount of negative reviews. You can read a lot of good reviews, but for every good review there is a negative. I began counting the problems, the front loading washers had more problems. LG had a washer with no agitator, a glass door, 5.2 cubic foot capacity and all the features you could want. The matching dryer had a glass door that either opened from the top or the side, whichever was convenient.

After comparing pricing I found Best Buy had the best overall prices, even when I considered the 10% veteran discount. In fact, when making a large purchase at Best Buy I ask for an assistant manager. He can adjust prices, he also matched the veteran discount that Lowes gave. For example, the washer was $880 at Lowes, it was $800 at Best Buy, even though they were 10% cheaper, they even gave me 10% off that price making it $720. They also gave me a $100 store credit card.

Two months after buying the washer and dryer I went back to Best Buy and bought all the LG kitchen appliances, and again they negotiated prices. I also found most all the popular appliances on the Best Buy website are in stock for delivery. Lowes for example only deliver from the store of purchase, so an item has a much greater chance of being out of stock at Lowes, while Best Buy delivers from a central warehouse outside Orlando.

All these appliances at Best Buy were $2400. The dishwasher is so quiet I have to check to make sure it's even running.

The Villages Florida
Old 01-02-2021, 11:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,944 Times in 2,463 Posts

Appliance411 The Purchase: Who Makes What?

Who makes what, probably needs updated, I think China brought out GE which includes several brands under the umbrella?
Old 01-03-2021, 06:00 AM

Whatever brand you choose, please donate your old appliances to a good charity.
Old 01-03-2021, 06:22 AM
Default Appliance Replacements

In the past 12 months we have replaced all appliances in two homes. We only buy Kitchen Aid. The ones we bought for our home in OK replaced 21 year old Kitchen Aid. In 21 years we NEVER had a single service call on any of them. The only reason we replaced is we did a kitchen remodel. We bought all our new appliances at Best Buy , both in TV and OK
Old 01-03-2021, 06:49 AM
Default Appliances

Subscribe to Consumer Reports online. All your questions will be answered in their reviews.
Old 01-03-2021, 06:50 AM
Default Samsung dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedivergirl View Post
Availability may be a factor. I am not sure why, but we have been waiting for a Samsung dishwasher for 4 months. Friends have been waiting for a cooktop for 3 months. Retailers just don't have the products.

Don't give up your current appliances 'til you see the new ones!
We have 2 condos up north as snowbirds. Son & DIL live in one. Bought new Samsung dishwashers for both units. One failed within 7 months. Replaced under warranty (3.5 week process). The replacement failed after 3 months. Never buying another Samsung kitchen appliance. YMMV
Old 01-03-2021, 07:05 AM
Default Viking appliances

Just replaced our 4 year old Whirlpool range and microwave with Viking products. Expensive? Yes, but you get what you pay for and these are awesome. The microwave is like having a second oven because it has microwave, convection bake, convection broil, convection roast, and sensor cook functions.
Old 01-03-2021, 08:05 AM

We just purchased the high-end Kitchenaid refrig and Kitchenaid dishwasher. Ordered both 1 month ago. Dishwasher going in on the 6th. Getting rid of ALL GE products. I personally don't like the cheap look. Won't buy at box stores. Home Depot sold us a Samsung refrigerator. When we got home, we called Samsung with model number. Much to our surprise, although it was new, the model they sold us was a 2018 model. They never told us it was 2018. We returned immediately. They also will not hook up water line for refrig if you have the old water valves. Best Buy said they will charge $130 and replace the valve but won't hookup with plastic valves. Needless to say, we had whole house valves changed with brass fittings. We bought ours from Aggressive Appliances in Orlando. Jim Balano, salesman, lives here in the Village of Bonita. He was fantastic. Courteous, knowledgeable, and responsive.
Old 01-03-2021, 08:06 AM

I can only speak to what to buy for a refrigerator. We had numerous problems with our less than 3 year old Kenmore refrigerator. Two technicians told me never buy a refrigerator with LG parts. A hefty percentage of their repair work involves fixing frigs with LG parts installed. I was told the only manufacturers that do not use LG parts (particularly the compressor and evaporator coil) are GE, Whirlpool, Kitchen Aide and Frigidaire. Got a GE and so far, there hasn't been a hint of a problem.
Old 01-03-2021, 08:37 AM
Default Recommend GE or Whirlpool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleudeturquoise View Post
Pros and Cons
Had a complete set of LG appliances installed, the Refrigerator had 19 service calls on it, a piece of junk, finally LG replaced the entire door (French doors) never again, had a new Samsung on another home, only lasted 5 years replaced it with a GE after 6 years still going. Bought a home here that had a Whirlpool Gold French Door installed in 2016 doing great not a problem. I would never purchase a LG or a Samsung Refrigerator again!!!!!
Old 01-03-2021, 08:47 AM

If you find a fridge with a quiet ice maker, let us know. Our Whirlpool seems to know when we go to bed and starts up then.
Closed Thread

Tags
recommendations, appliances, planning, replace, kitchen

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.