Recommendations for appliances

Closed Thread
Old 01-03-2021, 08:49 AM
Veteran member

We bought full LG kitchen appliances , refrigerator compressor went out in 14 months , out a week replaced for free , 6months later another refrigerator compressor again replaced for free , 1 year later microwave oven died ,replaced at my expense. So far dishwasher and gas range are still working well.
Old 01-03-2021, 08:53 AM
Default Consumer Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleudeturquoise View Post
Planning to replace all kitchen appliances
Would like recommendations
Pros and Cons
I would take some time and consult a source such as Consumer Reports (CR). If you have an idea of what you want, that approach might serve you well. That is the approach I followed in seeking a refrigerator replacement to the stock Whirlpool that was furnished with my Villages home. I was looking for a better ice maker and CR turned out to be very beneficial.
Old 01-03-2021, 08:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin View Post
In the past 12 months we have replaced all appliances in two homes. We only buy Kitchen Aid. The ones we bought for our home in OK replaced 21 year old Kitchen Aid. In 21 years we NEVER had a single service call on any of them. The only reason we replaced is we did a kitchen remodel. We bought all our new appliances at Best Buy , both in TV and OK
Don't plan on getting anywhere near that for your new appliances. They are nothing like the old Maytag or Kitchen aid. We bought LG for the Kitchen and Samsung for the Wash and Dryer at Best Buy. Great price. They were fantastic at installing. Neat, knowledge, and they did all the plumbing including replacing the old water shut offs with the new metallic ones. Very happy. Our last Whirlpool Washer and Dryer lasted about 3 years before it began having problems.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:00 AM
Default Appliances

Quote:
Pros and Cons
One thing for sure DO NOT buy LG appliances. We had a refrigerator, just 4 years old with peeling paint on both doors. LG WOULD NOT stand behind their p[product, I would have to pay $500.00 out of my own pocket, per door, to have them replaced. TERRIBLE customer service.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:08 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrocarrasco01@yahoo.com View Post
Had a complete set of LG appliances installed, the Refrigerator had 19 service calls on it, a piece of junk, finally LG replaced the entire door (French doors) never again, had a new Samsung on another home, only lasted 5 years replaced it with a GE after 6 years still going. Bought a home here that had a Whirlpool Gold French Door installed in 2016 doing great not a problem. I would never purchase a LG or a Samsung Refrigerator again!!!!!
This is why when I had my kitchen remodeled I kept my old appliances. Is it pretty? No, but they all work. The new appliances a just junk. I will replace my old appliances when they die.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:16 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilcon View Post
Don't plan on getting anywhere near that for your new appliances. They are nothing like the old Maytag or Kitchen aid. We bought LG for the Kitchen and Samsung for the Wash and Dryer at Best Buy. Great price. They were fantastic at installing. Neat, knowledge, and they did all the plumbing including replacing the old water shut offs with the new metallic ones. Very happy. Our last Whirlpool Washer and Dryer lasted about 3 years before it began having problems.
Question about metal water shut offs - During a remodel I had all the old water shut offs replaced with metal ones but for some reason they didn't replace the one under the kitchen sink. Later a plumber said it's a bigger job and more expensive than the other replacements. Does anyone know if that is true? Should it be replaced? How much would it be to replace an under the kitchen sink with metal shut off?

Last edited by rmd2; 01-03-2021 at 09:18 AM. Reason: clarify question
Old 01-03-2021, 09:29 AM
Default Appliance recommendations

A friend who is renovating her kitchen was told by her contractor that the two brands they get the LEAST complaints about are GE and Whirlpool.

I consulted Consumer Reports about refrigerators and they listed LG as their top pick. However, the first five reviews from consumers had problems with LG and would not buy again. Makes me wonder about CR's accuracy.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

The problem with CR (Consumer Reports) is most electronic manufacturers come out new models every year, just like car makers. Many times you'll read about a TV or some other component and then you go to a electronic store only to find that the model is no longer sold, it's last year's or two years ago model.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Pros and Cons
After a 38 year career in the appliance industry, I learned a few things. Big box stores offer selection (in showroom) and seemingly attractive pricing, but most use 3rd party delivery and service companies, so they are less invested in the process than independent dealers. Based on our surrounding area, these are the most convenient. However, several independent appliance dealers in outlying areas, such as the Orlando market, will deliver here with their own employees, and some employ service technicians. If you go the independent route, consider Aggressive Appliance, Southeast Steel, and Famous Tate. Regarding brands, here is the latest: Samsung & LG are large brands owned by South Korean conglomerates of the same names. Some appliances produced in North America, others imported from various factories in Asia. These brands focus on style and gimmicky features, but performance may be not meet your expectations. GE was purchased several years ago by Haier of China, producing some in North America and others in Asia, but operates factory backed service in many parts of the country. Whirlpool owns several brands, including Whirlpool, Maytag, Amana, KitchenAid, and Jenn-Air, which are mostly produced in North America. The other major producer, Electrolux, sells most products under the Frigidaire brand, which has multiple premium sub-brands such as Gallery, and Professional. From here you move into ultra premium brands such a Wolf, Viking, Sub-Zero, etc. In my experience, the ultra premium brands offer style and material upgrades, but not necessarily performance and durability advantages over mainstream brands. I find that the sweet spot for performance, durability, value lies in the upper levels of mainstream brands, such as Frigidaire Gallery & Professional, Whirlpool Gold & KitchenAid, GE Profile. Bottom line, it is worth the drive to the independents, who will match price, fully explain the products, and provide better after sales service. You may consider sites other than Consumer Reports, such as Reviewed.com or CNET.com as these seem to be less closely tied to specific manufacturers and may have a more balanced review. Good luck!
Old 01-03-2021, 10:06 AM
Default No to Samung

I've had issues with my year old Samsung refrigerator. I did some research and it's a known issue for years. The coil behind the fan freezes up due to a bad sensor. My son in law was over and thought someone was running a chain saw outside. 3 replacement fans and a sensor later it only makes the sound occasionally. I have a glass cooktop and it scratches really easily. I have a dishwasher you practically have to pre wash the dishes. I had Maytag in the past and they were so much better. Too bad Frigidaire bought them out.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:10 AM
Veteran member

Nothing is perfect. Things happen even to good appliances. However, I think you will have good luck with Amana, Maytag, Whirlpool and Westinghouse. Take your pick.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:17 AM
Default New Appliances

Quote:
Pros and Cons
Try Southeast Steele Appliances in Orlando. They have all brands. Competitive pricing. Knowledgeable sales staff.
We are remodeling our kitchen, replacing all the appliances. Tried Best Buy, Home Depot & Lowes. No help. Also be prepared for a wait on delivery due to Covid. We ordered in Dec. , delivery no until March.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswirs View Post
One thing for sure DO NOT buy LG appliances. We had a refrigerator, just 4 years old with peeling paint on both doors. LG WOULD NOT stand behind their p[product, I would have to pay $500.00 out of my own pocket, per door, to have them replaced. TERRIBLE customer service.
Earlier on post #5 I gave a fairly detailed explanation of why I chose LG appliances for my kitchen and washer & dryer. If you had spent ten hours reading reviews on Best Buy, Lowes, Home Depot and Amazon as I had, you would come to the conclusion that all appliances and TVs will have problems. It doesn't matter if it Whirlpool, Samsung, GE or LG or any others. I found that LG had the least amount of complaints and I bought all LG kitchen appliances including the washer & dryer in 2017. Everything is now 3 years old and still operating great, not a long track record but so far, so good.

In your situation a paint problem although a problem, that is no longer a valid reason to not buy LG because the stores now almost only stock stainless steel appliances unless you buy builder grade appliances, paint problem solved.

To the OP, this is how I started. Here's a link to Best Buy and to LG refrigerators. Then look at the number of stars by the product and then click on the number and read the actual reviews. Now do this at Home Depot, Lowes and Amazon for each item you're buying and for each brand. Very time consuming, I did it in ten hours. I research everything in detail when I buy. Something else you'll find is one store chain might stock a certain model and another chain doesn't stock that model. Rather than ask a few posters on a message board their opinion on an appliance, find out what thousands have said about a product.

Best Buy LG Refrigerators
Old 01-03-2021, 11:31 AM

My input is to avoid Samsung products. I’ve read many reviews while searching for my new appliances and Samsung had more negative comments than all others. When I purchased my stove, fridge & microwave this summer I purchased LG fridge because it was the style I was looking for and Whirlpool gas stove and microwave. I tried to buy USA but the fridge isn’t. Next will be dishwasher, because my current one still works. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:39 AM

We had all Whirlpool appliances in our house we left in PA. 15+ years with nary a problem until the DW developed a pinhole and leaked right before we sold and we had to replace it. Moved into a brand new build home with GE and they were all pieces of junk. There for 7 years and had to replace the icemaker twice in the fridge, DW never cleaned right and the microwave literally fell apart (vent cover fell off on my head and front control panel fell off). Put in an LG microwave and it was working fine when we sold. New build house was supposed to have GE appliances and I told them to not even bother putting them in. They refused to give us credit for them, so we sold them on Craigslist. We've been here almost 8 years with LG fridge....love it, only had a sensor replaced, LG microwave....love it, no problems, Fridgidaire.....wanted an induction range (not just cooktop) and love it, no problems. The LG diswasher is OK, but I wanted a Bosch but was talked into this one. DH replaced a part on the front door that was causing a leak. He just followed directions on the parts site. It will be a Bosch the next time as I'm not happy with the cleaning on this one. My LG front load washer and dryer was purchased for the other house. It is currently almost 13 years old now and still going strong. DH replaced a couple sensors about 5 years ago on the dryer using a YouTube video. I have not yet had a problem with the front load washer but then again I take care of it. Keep the seals clean and never had a leak (knock on wood) and since I leave both the door and dispenser tray open to dry out for a day when I am done I have not had an odor problem. They were stacked at the other house and now they are side by side on pedestals here. I also did a TON of research for appliances and these are what I came up with (except for the LG dishwasher) and have been happy so far.

My daughter ordered a GE fridge, against my warnings, and has regretted it. Believe it or not it actually came without one of the doors! After several months when they finally did get it the ice maker didn't work properly. The repair person that GE sent was absolutely worthless. They ended up having to get a total new door. The house they bought had all LG appliances obviously from a scratch & dent sale (or at least the fridge was) and all are working fine. They have a little one and the dishwasher gets run every single day. The range is gas and the microwave is a slightly less version that the one we have. They just wanted a newer fridge without the dents. Unfortunately most of the good old brands just aren't the same anymore.
Closed Thread

Tags
recommendations, appliances, planning, replace, kitchen

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.