Recreation News

Closed Thread
Old 01-11-2018, 01:28 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Here is another kink to Clubs. Put in the club type (example: cards) then click on the one you are interested in. A new window will open with details.

The Villages Activities
Old 01-11-2018, 01:43 PM
Default Disappointed with rec news

Thursday was always the day I most looked forward to with the paper as I loved looking thru all the clubs, their descriptions, contact info, etc. it was great to send home with visitors to help explain what we have here. Today I actually checked the page numbers of the insert thinking they must have lost pages somehow. Very disappointing. If they wanted to save print paper,keep the club listing and descriptions (can’t cut out or circle things when it’s only online) and drop the schedule at every rec center. Now you get to see tons of things at the rec. centers but no information on them. (Unless you go online searching).
Old 01-11-2018, 06:58 PM

I totally agree. It was great to show visitors all the club listings with descriptions. And for me, I now can’t figure out which walk away the pounds, or tap dance, or R&B line dance or crafts classes are which! I need the descriptions. This move was terrible, IMHO.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

I suspect we are typical of the majority that shakes the paper in the morning and tosses out all the inserts.....the recreation news being the largest of them.

It could easily be converted to TV web site or the newspapers website.

It could also be converted to a subscription basis and be delivered with the paper to those who want it and pay for it.
That would sort out very quickly how many really need it!
Old 01-11-2018, 08:39 PM
Veteran member

Why do we have most of the Rec News devoted to pools and regularly scheduled Rec Center activities. Seems like local club info is far more important. Put that other stuff on the web, and another place for clubs, or just print the clubs. The pool stuff never changes.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:45 PM
Veteran member

Yes, this has more info, but you have to know the name of the club to look for. As an example, The Villages Pops Chorus is listed under Pops Chorus, while THe Villages Musical Theater is under The Villages Musical Theater. The info in both listings are at least 3 years old. I must have sent them the Pops Chorus info, but I don;t remember what inspired me to do so, or even how I did it. There is no attempt to keep this info up to date on the part of the recreation dept. It would be pretty efficient, however, if the info we send to the Rec News weekly (or periodically) could be added to this site. That might be a good option.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

The Rec News is never thrown out until the next one comes.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2018, 12:03 AM

As reported heavily in the Online New there seemed to be a huge outcry against the rec news and the cost of its printing.
Unfortunately it looks like we are seeing the results of their effort to cut costs. And that results in less info I guess.
Obviously the majority of us on TOTV would be absolutely comfortable with an online-only version. We’re already fairly tech capable. But TOTV users are a small percentage of our 100k population. I would bet the loyal readers of the print product currently outnumber us. And they didn’t grab pitchforks over its cost so their voice was never heard.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpkinp View Post
Why do we have most of the Rec News devoted to pools and regularly scheduled Rec Center activities. Seems like local club info is far more important. Put that other stuff on the web, and another place for clubs, or just print the clubs. The pool stuff never changes.
Sports pool activities do change, depending on the season.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by circletrack View Post
As reported heavily in the Online New there seemed to be a huge outcry against the rec news and the cost of its printing.
Unfortunately it looks like we are seeing the results of their effort to cut costs. And that results in less info I guess.
Obviously the majority of us on TOTV would be absolutely comfortable with an online-only version. We’re already fairly tech capable. But TOTV users are a small percentage of our 100k population. I would bet the loyal readers of the print product currently outnumber us. And they didn’t grab pitchforks over its cost so their voice was never heard.
Well said.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:36 AM
Sage

They have limited announcements of activities to 45 or 50 words now, so not as much info can be given.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
The Rec News is never thrown out until the next one comes.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

[emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-12-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
But it isn't supposed to be a "money maker", right?

In other words a Tupperware sales person can't rent the room to have profits to sell her wares.
EVERYTHING!!!! with the morri$ family is about making $$, that is the reason for the reduction in the size of the rec news, and raising the price of the paper,,, as older non computer litterate villlgers die off , i am sure u will see the rec news be completely on line,, but for now to pacify those that refuse to acknowledge progress we get the wasteful weekly paper update
Old 01-12-2018, 02:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietpepsi View Post
EVERYTHING!!!! with the morri$ family is about making $$, that is the reason for the reduction in the size of the rec news, and raising the price of the paper,,, as older non computer litterate villlgers die off , i am sure u will see the rec news be completely on line,, but for now to pacify those that refuse to acknowledge progress we get the wasteful weekly paper update
I respectfully and completely disagree with your asessment. For profit businesses do make a profit. THAT is a given. In this case they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. For some people negativity is their fixed attitude toward any successful large business.

And you responded to my post that talked about the use of rec center facilities and rooms. They aren't supposed to be used for business if they are used for free. People can use them if they are available for functions including out of village people, if they pay for their use.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietpepsi View Post
Everything about any business, owner, company or entity is always....ALWAYS....about making $$$$.

Who would have it any other way??
Closed Thread

Tags
week, groups, deciding, pages, insert

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.