Can someone explain to me...

Closed Thread
Old 04-30-2018, 10:57 AM
Location: Detroit area, Da UP, 6 states and 2 countries in 21 years Army, now Duneden
Default Can someone explain to me...

Today I was riding north on Charlotte in my cart and a jogger was running in the cart path (road) and further down the road a lady was walking in the cart path (road). There was a sidewalk with only individuals, not groups walking on the same side of the street. At least both individuals were moving against traffic. I do not understand the desire to be in the road/cart path and not on the sidewalk. Why do people do this?
Old 04-30-2018, 10:58 AM
Veteran member

You cannot fix stupid!
Old 04-30-2018, 11:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic4me View Post
Today I was riding north on Charlotte in my cart and a jogger was running in the cart path (road) and further down the road a lady was walking in the cart path (road). There was a sidewalk with only individuals, not groups walking on the same side of the street. At least both individuals were moving against traffic. I do not understand the desire to be in the road/cart path and not on the sidewalk. Why do people do this?
1) death wish

2) A desire to violate Florida law-----"Where sidewalks are provided, no pedestrian shall, unless required by other circumstances, walk along and upon the portion of a roadway paved for vehicular traffic [§316.130(3)]".

3) to pi$$ off everyone else
Old 04-30-2018, 11:23 AM
Veteran member

They're called organ donors
Old 04-30-2018, 11:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

We call them the walking dead. Walking until someone runs into them. Best is we back up to road and see it numerous times everyday. Twilight and no reflective gear, is common. At 1:31 this morning a golf cart nearly hit someone walking their dog, along the road. Sidewalk just across the street. Some people should not be let out on their own.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I think it may have something to do with the fact that since they no longer have the restrictions and restraints of employment, they feel so free that they forget they aren't omnipotent. I constantly see golf carts not stop for stop signs. People tail the person in front of them closely and run a red light.

I think Darwin was on to something.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think it may have something to do with the fact that since they no longer have the restrictions and restraints of employment, they feel so free that they forget they aren't omnipotent. I constantly see golf carts not stop for stop signs. People tail the person in front of them closely and run a red light.

But if he were 100% right, none of the people we see doing those things would still be around. But I do think many of them survive due to DUMB luck
Old 04-30-2018, 12:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
We call them the walking dead. Walking until someone runs into them. Best is we back up to road and see it numerous times everyday. Twilight and no reflective gear, is common. At 1:31 this morning a golf cart nearly hit someone walking their dog, along the road. Sidewalk just across the street. Some people should not be let out on their own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

Yeah, but it's so unfair to the dog.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
1) death wish

2) A desire to violate Florida law-----"Where sidewalks are provided, no pedestrian shall, unless required by other circumstances, walk along and upon the portion of a roadway paved for vehicular traffic [§316.130(3)]".

3) to pi$$ off everyone else
Yep.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:16 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

If running, it could be because pavement is much kinder on the joints than cement. My coach at UCLA absolutely forbade anyone running on sidewalks, the laws be damned (and he was a lot scarier than any cop I ever met). Of course, most of us were smart enough to run against traffic and pop up to the sidewalk for a bicycle. Walking we could do on sidewalks. To stay on the path when someone is coming towards them is pretty inexcusable. To move with the flow of traffic is downright suicidal.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-30-2018, 03:30 PM

My Observations: Usually, the reason why people do things that they know they should not is because it is somehow easier for them (faster, more convenient, or they have always done it that way and have not had a bad outcome - yet), then there are some who don't realize there is a sidewalk at all.

We all need to learn to take our time, and take the safer option when one exists (life is not a race, it is a trip)... . and I suppose we need to allow for others who do not choose that option. Maybe we could stop and talk to those we see in harms way. We could express our sincere concern for their safety and wellbeing, then follow with a POLITE suggestion about the safer alternative to their current actions. We can take the higher road, and make more friends in the process.. just a thought.

Yes, I was a Boy Scout growing up... then a Scout Leader.

Have a safe day.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:40 PM

As for the runner, asphalt is significantly softer and has give unlike concrete. To test the theory, hit each surface with a hammer and see what happens.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallory View Post
As for the runner, asphalt is significantly softer and has give unlike concrete. To test the theory, hit each surface with a hammer and see what happens.
OK, let's look at the statute again:

"Where sidewalks are provided, no pedestrian shall, unless required by other circumstances, walk along and upon the portion of a roadway paved for vehicular traffic [§316.130(3)]".

I'm sorry, but I don't see the part that states "unless you are a runner....."
Old 04-30-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallory View Post
I agree! I used to run myself and asphalt is easier in the knees. That answers the question, I think.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:24 PM
Platinum member

A woman died in Sunset Point doing this recently. RIP.
Closed Thread

Tags
path, cart, road, sidewalk, individuals

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.