Roof

Closed Thread
Old 04-30-2018, 05:17 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 384 Posts
Default Roof

Has anyone ever seen a roof replaced on a year old home here? House in my village is having the entire roof ripped off today. Is it possible the roof was so bad that warranty is replacing it? I cant imagine the owner spending all that money to simply change the color of his roof.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Has anyone ever seen a roof replaced on a year old home here? House in my village is having the entire roof ripped off today. Is it possible the roof was so bad that warranty is replacing it? I cant imagine the owner spending all that money to simply change the color of his roof.
Are just the shingles being replaced...or is the plywood sheathing, underlayment and trusses involved?

While it seems hard to comprehend that someone would pay to just change shingle color...I suppose it's possible.

I would be more concerned that there were some quality issues with the entire roof and that those issues may not be confined...to just that house in the neighborhood.

Only one way to find out...try to ask the workers what's happening.

Good luck.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:37 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

We do over 500 one year warranty inspections every year in The Villages. Every so often we do find what is later confirmed to be defective shingles. While it is NOT common, it does happen.

We on rare occasions do find shingles where the stone topping is not quite right, appears to have excessive wear in places, etc. It is difficult to explain, but it often just "feels" different when walking on it. When we do find it, we take plenty of pictures, documenting our findings and putting it in our warranty inspection report.

Warranty typically will send a roofing rep, and sometimes the Certainteed factory rep. Sometimes they agree with us, sometimes they do not. We have no control how they handle it, but often after we suspect it, a new roof gets installed.

Understand that it IS common on a new roof to have SOME stone loss in the gutters, etc. That in itself does NOT indicate defective shingles.

The percentage is low, but it is there. I hope I have answered your question. And BTW, I do remember a new homeowner in The Villages a couple of years ago who DID replace a perfectly good roof because she did not like the color.

Frank
Old 04-30-2018, 08:08 PM
Gold member

Thanks....Im guessing something was wrong. It would have to be an unusual person to change a roof on a new roof just because of the color
Old 04-30-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
We do over 500 one year warranty inspections every year in The Villages. Every so often we do find what is later confirmed to be defective shingles. While it is NOT common, it does happen.

We on rare occasions do find shingles where the stone topping is not quite right, appears to have excessive wear in places, etc. It is difficult to explain, but it often just "feels" different when walking on it. When we do find it, we take plenty of pictures, documenting our findings and putting it in our warranty inspection report.

Warranty typically will send a roofing rep, and sometimes the Certainteed factory rep. Sometimes they agree with us, sometimes they do not. We have no control how they handle it, but often after we suspect it, a new roof gets installed.

Understand that it IS common on a new roof to have SOME stone loss in the gutters, etc. That in itself does NOT indicate defective shingles.

The percentage is low, but it is there. I hope I have answered your question. And BTW, I do remember a new homeowner in The Villages a couple of years ago who DID replace a perfectly good roof because she did not like the color.

Frank
When we first moved here in 2010 there were many problems with the shingles and they were being replaced. Maybe it is happening again.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:43 AM

There is a homeowner in my neighborhood who replaced her roof for cosmetic reasons. She wanted to change the color of the house, and the roof color was not approved for the preferred paint color. Off came the roof.

I must say, the home is stunning today. Gorgeous inside and out.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:57 PM
Veteran member

Roofing shingles can have problems with too much granule loss, shingle cracking, color variation (bad granule distribution during manufacturing) or caused from faulty application (courses were "racked") or just not sealing properly. If the roofing contractor put the staples in the seal stripe when applied and not just below the seal line the shingle will not seal properly.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:54 PM
Gold member

Well...the question is answered....same color roof is up. Must have been bad shingles.
Closed Thread

Tags
roof, replacing, warranty, bad, owner

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.