Recumbent trike question

Old 04-30-2024, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
You might try a suspension front fork. It can be added to most any bicycle frame.
You can run lower pressure, to a point, in the front tire. You can change the handle bars. At 58 most of us can call you sonny.
Sonny, lol. I realize I'm kind of a pup around here. I do have a suspension on the front fork. The problem is the weight of my upper body on my wrists, not so much the jarring from the road. My two wheel bike is a hybrid so the handlebar sits up higher but it still doesn't help.
Old 04-30-2024, 02:47 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,351 Times in 738 Posts

The key is attention getting visability. Eyes are drawn to flashing lights. The best that I am aware of is cygolite products. For the rear a pair of hypershot 350 will get someone's attention, that's 700 focused lumens bursting at inattentive drivers. Pair that with a cygolite 600, 650 or 800 lumen headlight and you are impossible to miss. Cygolite is sold on Amazon.

Complaints on this board that this is too bright and too visible will probably follow this post, most likely by those who complain that trikes aren't visible.

Last edited by Toymeister; 04-30-2024 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-30-2024, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switter View Post
Excellent post and thank you so much! I am going to go look at one this week and pull the plug.
Suggest you look at HP Velotechnic Gecko fx26 Comfort model

Indirect steering - a must, demo an indirect vs direct and you will understand

Adjustable seat angle, standard wrist rests and neck rest

Dual activator single brake caliper. On a recumbent tadpole trike, if you brake using right or left caliper it affects steering, dual activator caliper employs equal braking to both sides, much easier to drive.

HP Velotechnic has highest quality standards, ask any mechanic. The Gecko is their entry level trike but has the German tech of the pricier models.

Foldable and affordable

HP Velotechnik Gekko fx 26 Comfort Deep Blue Trike — Hostel Shoppe

Last edited by Erider; 04-30-2024 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-01-2024, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erider View Post
Suggest you look at HP Velotechnic Gecko fx26 Comfort model

Indirect steering - a must, demo an indirect vs direct and you will understand

Adjustable seat angle, standard wrist rests and neck rest

Dual activator single brake caliper. On a recumbent tadpole trike, if you brake using right or left caliper it affects steering, dual activator caliper employs equal braking to both sides, much easier to drive.

HP Velotechnic has highest quality standards, ask any mechanic. The Gecko is their entry level trike but has the German tech of the pricier models.

Foldable and affordable

HP Velotechnik Gekko fx 26 Comfort Deep Blue Trike — Hostel Shoppe
Thanks. That looks like a really nice one and about the same price as the cattrike trail I was looking at. The one thing I like about the cat trike trail and 559 is that they're folding.

Edit: oh, it does look like that one folds. I think I'll go check it out. Thanks

Last edited by Switter; 05-01-2024 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-01-2024, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks. That looks like a really nice one and about the same price as the cattrike trail I was looking at. The one thing I like about the cat trike trail and 559 is that they're folding.

Edit: oh, it does look like that one folds. I think I'll go check it out. Thanks
I think both those catrikes are direct steering, demo one and the the HP indirect to see what you like best
Old 05-02-2024, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobeaston View Post
My wife and I have been riding recumbent trikes in The Villages practically every day since we moved here 3 years ago. We ride on the MMP trails, on streets within villages, over the bridges and through the tunnels. We've been far and wide within The Villages and have NO hesitancy about riding anywhere. Even though legal, we do not ride on busy streets such as Morse, Buena Vista, the 466s, etc. Only occasionally do we ride on busy streets which have cart lanes are next to regular traffic lanes, such as Hillsborough Trial.

The warnings above about constant threats from thoughtless cart drivers are overblown and likely from people who don't actually ride trikes on the MMP paths. Yes, there are times when an impatient cart driver passes too close for comfort, but those are extremely rare. Even slowly crawling up a bridge on our non-electric trikes, cart drivers have been courteous and patient. Only once did some lady (probably from NYC) impatiently honk her horn, and it was likely because she was 2 carts behind and didn't know we were there.

Some tips for safety:
- Basic safety: make sure you have a good mirror on your trike and watch it constantly. Your awareness of your surroundings is paramount.
- Basic safety: mount flashing lights on your trike, both front and rear, and use them.
- Basic safety: make you trike more visible with a flag or two. Most trikes are low enough that they need the flag to be more easily seen.
- Basic safety: AVOID blocking your hearing with streaming music, headphones, earbuds or whatever. You need to be able to hear those things around you ... and carts are getting quieter every day.

After all the basics, common COURTESY solves most other problems. You can almost always cooperate with cart drivers, other bicyclists and pedestrians to avoid conflict.
- Courtesy: as always, stay to the right. On the wider MMPs, there's plenty of room for other traffic to pass you. Delays for oncoming traffic are very rare and everyone is safe and happy.
- Courtesy: handle narrower MMP paths on one of 2 ways:
--- on those narrower paths with no curbing, you can often drop one wheel off the path onto the grass and thereby offer a following cart enough room to pass. Do it early (watch that mirror) and the following cart driver will see it as a courtesy. We often hear "Thank You" from those drivers. The long narrower paths through Chitty Chatty are an example of where this works well. We drop one wheel off onto the grass and the cart drivers drop one wheel off on their side as they pass. Everyone is safe and happy.
--- on the narrower paths that have curbs (i.e. short stretches along the Morse and Buena Vista MMP paths) AND are not wide enough for the trike and a cart, move to the middle of the path to avoid tempting a cart driver to pass in too narrow a space. These situations are very rare and we've found cart drivers very courteous because we give them as much room as possible when the path widens. Do NOT hog the path on wider paths or when not justified. That only frustrates the people behind you. Be courteous. This technique also applies to where the paths make a chicane near village entrance gates. Everyone is safe and happy.
- Courtesy, when approaching pedestrians, either call out "on your left" or use a bell. When 7 people are walking side by side, I'd like to use a truck's air horn, but use the bell instead. Everyone is safe and happy.
- Courtesy: when approaching crossings and intersections EYE CONTACT is your best safety measure. After eye contact, often comes a nod about agreement on right of way. Everyone is safe and happy.
- Courtesy: when you see another cyclist approaching (remember that mirror) wave acknowledgement before they're close enough to announce their presence. Everyone is safe and happy.

Lastly, be aware of what traffic might be like when you go out for a ride. There's a magic hour right before the morning's first tee times where cart drivers are in a hurry. We can't make em get up and get their coffee early enough for a calm ride to the tee, but we can be aware that they'll be coming fast and furious. Late afternoons offer a larger number of cart drivers who have already had their happy hour. WATCH for them. Saturday mornings, especially the Strawberry Festival day can be busier than usual around the squares, and climbing the snakelike curvy and steeper than normal path up the Brownwood bridge isn't good on a festival day.

With nearly a thousand days experience, we really enjoy our trikes in The Villages. Be smart and careful and you will too.
So people who have a different opinion than you are liars who "don't actually ride the mmps" and people who honk their horns are probably New Yorkers?

That's two uncalled for insults. Perhaps you can go for the trifecta.
Old 05-04-2024, 07:24 AM
Default Bicycle Wrist Discomfort

Quote:
lol, yep. I definitely ride defensively. I ride the mmps on a two wheeler right now but it's killing my wrists. I just wonder how people on recumbent trikes do on the paths. I'm not sure I've ever seen one on them and I'm wondering if there is a reason.

Wrist pain can be moderated by proper bike fit and ergonomic grips. Be sure to have your body weight balanced between the handlebars and saddle. Consult a professional at your local bike shop.
Old 05-05-2024, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
The key is attention getting visability. Eyes are drawn to flashing lights. The best that I am aware of is cygolite products. For the rear a pair of hypershot 350 will get someone's attention, that's 700 focused lumens bursting at inattentive drivers. Pair that with a cygolite 600, 650 or 800 lumen headlight and you are impossible to miss. Cygolite is sold on Amazon.

Complaints on this board that this is too bright and too visible will probably follow this post, most likely by those who complain that trikes aren't visible.
Visibility is key. After test riding a bunch of recumbent trikes I learned that one of the more dangerous spots is a parking lot or any area with a lot of park cars (like the town centers). You have to be super careful. Probably better to avoid them if you can.
Old 05-05-2024, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Visibility is key. After test riding a bunch of recumbent trikes I learned that one of the more dangerous spots is a parking lot or any area with a lot of park cars (like the town centers). You have to be super careful. Probably better to avoid them if you can.
The flags on our recumbent trikes aren't flashy enough, I've been looking for a dayglow spinner type of flag but haven't found what I'm looking for yet. A small bright windsock is what I think I was with a lot of colors and a lot of action.
Old 05-05-2024, 04:57 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,351 Times in 738 Posts

Quote:
I ride the mmps on a two wheeler right now but it's killing my wrists.
This bike https://www.pedalpt.com/wpppt/wp-con...d-before-2.jpg is the solution. You are so upright the weight on your wrists is minimal. It's extremely comfortable to ride but not terribly fast. They are not generally available in the US, they are available for you to import directly from Holland from Premium Dutch Bicycles and Cargo Bikes - Amsterdam Bicycle Company. You can check mine if you wish.

Tags
recumbent, trike, riding, modal, multi

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.